Seagate dropping the HAMR by releasing a 20TB HDD Soon

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    anticupidon and Embra like this.
  2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    One can only wonder where the finish line is.

anticupidon likes this.
  3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    I don't think a finish line exists. It's been moved so many times that it's impossible to know.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Here's the finnish line guys!

[​IMG]

5. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Im one of those people that is paranoid of the helium filled drives even when people say its fine, i know people say oh by the time it escapes etc you will upgrade it anyway
    If new hdd's continue down this path then i'll jump ship and be full ssd and nvme drives only, atm iv a 6tb wd black 7200rpm and a 1tb samsung 970 nvme, with ssd prices finally being affordable its getting very tempting

Waiting for 6 even 8tb ssd thats around £500 and id happily get rid of all hdd's

Samsung 8tb qvo seems to have a lot of hate so i'll wait for an Evo version

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  6. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Samsung 2TB 970 Evo Plus died on me after just 8 months lol.. I wish SSD would had more stamina for every task, OS, gaming, media and storage, I still have HDD for old games/storage and some random stuff, SSD only for OS and new demanding games, hope this one will (at least) last 2-3 years haha

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    abdulhkeem likes this.
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    anything can die quickly.

Maddness likes this.
  8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    They generally do have much more stamina. You just got a lemon. It can happen with anything.

Maddness likes this.
  9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Im not sure that loss of helium would actually cause a drive like that to fail, it might just get very slow.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    THIS!

Once this happens I will predict that mechanical HDD's for single consumers will become a thing of the past and they will primarily be used for NAS/RAID storage servers by small to large companies and content creators.

A 6-8TB SSD/NVME for £500 would mean 2-4TB drives for around the £150-£200 mark (currently around the £350+ mark). We can already see the vast majority of laptops, notebooks, ultrabooks, and even chromebooks completely ditching those old and slow 5200rpm drives in favour of much smaller (physical size), much faster, lower power, less noisy m.2 sata or nvme drives. Many prebuilt desktops as well are ditching HDD's especially for the OS drives.

JOHN30011887 likes this.

11. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    Yeah prob not but im just like over worry about things tbh, its like once its in my head that it might happen i become stubborn lol

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Haven't touched a HDD since 2014. Using a 4TB SATA SSD for storage and a couple of M.2 NVMe's in VROC for the boot drive. Would never go back to a sluggish noisy HDD ever again no matter how high the capacity is.

13. Dave87677

Dave87677 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 64
    We replaced a number of HDD's with SSD's and have had a number of issues with drives dying or erratic behavior. I moved our main application back to a 7200rpm HDD with very little performance difference. Regardless of what the theory may be our experience is that SSD's are not yet reliable enough for enterprise work. It probably depends on your work-load but if you are doing a lot of writes and you have a TLC drive, you'll exhaust the drive pretty quickly.

BTW, I moved my laptop back to a 2.5" HGST 7200 rpm laptop because I rebuild my database every day at 25GB a shot and was worried about the TBW of the SSD. The drive cost 18 euros!

lukas_1987_dion likes this.
  14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    This is only because your need is compatible with SSD, i need over 20T usable on raid, as many people...
    The 8T entry level from samsung is at over 1000 Euro without the quality needed (QVO serie) to have the system reliable (for this you need some more money) and the best quality in HDD is at 260 Euro...
    Sure we will go all SSD, but for now HDD is still the best solution for high volume and so it still evolve (even huge data center still use HDD in a very large way).

15. Drazen

Drazen Member

GPU:
    GTX 2060
    Yeah, big drives are nice but how long it takes to make a copy?
    At 6Gb/s, let say 0.6GB/s this is 20 / 0.6 or 9 hours in best case. I think more like 3 times longer especially with smaller files.

16. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    i kinda doubt nand pricing can keep cheaper with current demand
    like u said nowdays almost all computing device use NAND as storage, even sony have nand supply issue for PS5 (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts)
    i am guessing without 825GB SSD, PS5 price should similar to PS4

it will takes many hours, but again full-drive-copy isnt typical usage, most probably only do with new drive (replacing/upgrade the hdd),
    say we need to use it for 24/7 full-drive-copy, replacing with SSD will get job done much quickly, but again in 24/7 situation, it will wear out the nand in few months either, right?

well in the end, it back to user usage, such for me, that leave backup few pcs in background, time is not really matters over storage-capacity/cost

17. "Seagate dropping the HAMR by releasing a 20TB HDD Soon"
    Annd hopefully, that's what this won't sound like when it's operating...

Venix likes this.
  18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    For me it seems that a combination of ssd + hdd will be still a key for the next 5 years or so ... I had just ssd for the os on 2013 now i have an ssd drive for the os another for game installations and always hdds to carry bulk files and backup .... If the hdds are able to offer more than 10 times the space than same priced ssds they will still have a place on a lot of rigs.

rl66 likes this.
  19. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On huge volume RAID is the solution to don't have to do it :)
    Anyway if you really need to do it with huge volume, SSD or HDD hit the limit of the computer in this exercice, i agree not at the same time, but the end result is the same (crap on both media).
    In the end for "normal+" usage SSD+HDD is the perfect couple in computer for now (as Venix said)... SSD price have to drop and technology have to be better too (but for sure it is the path to future)