Seagate discontinues Barracuda Pro HDDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 23, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In anticipation of a new drive series, Seagate has discontinued its high-end Barracuda Pro desktop HDD brand. It's unclear what kind of hard disks will be used. ...

Seagate discontinues Barracuda Pro HDDs

DannyD likes this.
  2. NinArraBiTTa

NinArraBiTTa Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX2080 8GB
    HDD are end of life, due to high power consumption and due to the recycling of the drives.

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    would love to see tem on sale then
    I only got a 2tb skyhawk atm cause I invested the rest of the money I had for a 4tb into an external drive station
    a new 3tb would be a welcome addition

if you're gonna waste ssd space for office documents,pictures,mp3 files and backups then fine.but hdds are not going anywhere.

Airbud likes this.
  4. bensmooth

bensmooth Member Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti Elite Rev2
    i managed to get a seagate 16tb hardrive for a good price and even though i have nvme drive's ie 960 evo and 970 evo plus and a few ssd backups the space on the hdd was much welcomed!. HDD arent going anywhere they maybe end of life in tecnogloy term's but as for end user's with older machines of plenty and laptops hdd's are there go too!

5. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You are drunk, they not going anywhere, no replacement for the size
    and their power consumption is low

6. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Buy external HDD's and shuck the drives. Segate is the best in large models like 14Tb and larger you get Exos x16 enterprise HDD's, 261MB/s reads and writes, 7200rpm, Helium

7. nekrosoft13

nekrosoft13 Active Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    oh really? How much would it cost me to replace my 160TB hard drive based server with SSDs?

GoldenTiger, NinArraBiTTa and Airbud like this.
  8. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    That would be a kidney and your firstborn please :p

GoldenTiger, NinArraBiTTa and Airbud like this.
  9. hatchet_ryda

hatchet_ryda New Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 XT
    Maybe for a gaming system it is (2x Sabrent Rocket 1Tb and a WD Blue Sata 6 storage drive in mine). But for my NAS and home server mass storage? Rotating platters do not use as much power as you think, and the raw capacity / price ratio cannot be matched by flash storage at this time.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Got some models or S/N ? I would like to get some bigger HDDS for cheap

11. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    In Canada its RedFlagDeals, in the USA its SlickDeals, in the UK (Europe) I'm not sure of a site like these two.

Right now SD has this, https://slickdeals.net/f/15297367-1...esktop-hard-drive-200-at-newegg?src=catpagev2 , which is a good deal but it has been $175 in the past.

External drives usually are priced cheapest around November to January.

Last drive I shucked was a 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro couple years back, roughly saved about 40% of the retail drive cost; there are caveats, less warranty or none because drive has been removed from external enclosure, so the risk to reward falls in your hands.

Airbud likes this.
  12. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    $12,000

13. NinArraBiTTa

NinArraBiTTa Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX2080 8GB
    What kind of personnal data takes over 160TB? In my enterprise we are 1870 colleagues, we do not have over 80TB (with backup included), because 160TB would be to much data to manage.

You know to much data can kills your business :D

14. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Just remember one rule, if you buy 10Tb and higher you safe [these are CMR drives], the higher you go the better the HDD model inside.
    If you buy 8TB and lower, doesn't matter if its WD or Segate, they put inside horrible SMR drives, they good only for archival and thats it, not for NAS, not for DATA or Gamer drives, SMR drives are slow on writes, they have OK reads, but writes are slow and the more you write the slower they get.

Here are some examples:

If you buy any external Seagate 16Tb or 18Tb you'll get "Seagate Exos x16" enterprise HDD, 261MB/s read and write [the x16 is the model name not the size]
    If you buy any external Seagate 14Tb you'll get either Exos x16 or Iron Wolf Pro [Also insane drive, Helium, 7200rpm, high speed,]
    If you buy any external Segate of 12Tb you'll get IronWolf Pro

If you go WD route, they give Good CMR Helium 5400RPM drives. So they slower then Seagate.
    Only external WD Gaming drives like XBOX Black has 7200RPM HDD inside but they only come in 2 models: 8TB and 12TB, the drives are HGST brand [WD owned]

All my HDD's i got from Amazon and Newegg, it really doesn't matter where you buy them, they all the same inside.

anticupidon likes this.
  15. Pictus

Pictus Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    It is model dependent, not size.
    https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/04/15/seagate-2-4-and-8tb-barracuda-and-desktop-hdd-smr/
    https://www.seagate.com/files/www-c.../ironwolf-pro-18tb-DS1914-18-2106US-en_US.pdf

16. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb