Seagate Barracuda drives failing en masse

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    In my old rig, which I used for 4+ years, I had two 200gb seagates in raid 0, and never had a problem.

I also currently have a 7200.11 500gb in my current rig, and I have been running fine since june 2008.

I have been using seagate HDs for awhile now and have never had a problem. Although I have to admit, this news makes me nervous.

2. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    ye same backed up to my storage rig now

3. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I've run Seagate and WDs for years without failure too, but I just specced up an HTPC for my boss with 2 x 7200.11 1.5TBs, knowing my luck they would both fail at the same time making me look like a dick for recommending them. Think I stay safe and go for 2 Caviar 1Tb instead, can't find any reports of high failures.

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've only lost one drive too, and that was a 6GB Maxtor HDD which was obviously ages ago. Considering the number of HDD's I've had over the years, I guess I can call myself lucky as well.

And with that said I'm sure that atleast two of my drives are dead when I boot up my PC tomorrow! :p

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    After I wrote my post, I started backing my HDDs up. LOL

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Oh great... I'll back up everything tomorrow.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    My problem is that I don't have anywhere to back up my data. I'm pretty much full (around 1TB free) so I'll just have to live with it. I've backed up my music and my photos, so that's safe atleast. I can't wait until Bluray discs get cheaper. I think that would be a nice medium to back up on.

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    LOL

That's kind of my problem all the time, too. When I go out and buy a new HDD for backup purposes, it always gets filled up with other "important" stuff too, so that I don't really have a backup drive anymore... :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for Blu-Ray discs to get cheaper for the exact same reason for quite a while now already. :D

9. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I'm running 2 older Barracudas, no probs here, 2x 500GB. But good to know that I have to avoid some of the newer models.
    I backup my important files to external HDD's, if they run out of space I just buy a new one.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  10. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Maxtor ive gone through 6 of them all 80GB models always the same problem with the read head going on them

11. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    Problem I had with my 500GB 7200.11

I was recently a victim to one of the Seage HDDs crashing on me on a RAID0 setup and essentially I ended up losing all data. They used to be really good drives but I believe recently they have started to cut corners and laxed a little with their QC which allowed all the faulty drives to leak out in the market.

Their CSR was helpful in getting me a replacement without so much hassle, but the damage of losing data was very painful. I am hoping the new drive will keep up from failing again but that concern is always there especially now. Whenever I have a computer crash -- from playing with OC too much -- the HDD will be backing pagefile or something and I can notice the HDD LED acting crazy. There is definitely a lot of HDD activity going on in the background that I do not feel comfortable with.

Seagate's problems don't end just with the quality. They have been suffering financially especially with the latest economic conditions. I recently read that they have let go their CEO and COO. Those are some seriously tough times for them.

12. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    Yes I know what you mean. I was just meaning if somone has say 3 HDD's, a Hitachi/WD/Seagate and the Seagate dies they will be more likely to stay clear of that manufacturer for there next drive.

Oh and yes Maxtor. I actually had a 80gb in an external enclosure and on of the capacitors? burst up into flames. Burnt right through my external enclosure. Will never buy from tham again.

I wonder if this is affecting the Seagate external drives as im guessing they use the same disks.

13. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I had that too, the only drive I have known to fail was at work, it was in an HP Brio, 3 days outside of the 3 year warranty and one of my users calls me to say her computer went "pop" when she started it up. Sure enough a capacitor had exploded, a nice big singe covering the neighbouring capacitors etc and the smell of smoke.

Can't remember now who the HDD manufacturer was but it certainly put me off HP for life.

14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've had virtually all my Raptors fail, which I'm un-impressed with.

About 3 74GB ones and 2 of the 150GB ones.

15. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Ugh. That's not very good.

:eek:c:

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Trust my luck - I just bought a new 500GB 7200.11 Seagate Barracuda 2 days ago....
    I just noticed I have newer firmware though so should be ok I hope..

17. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
    What firmware you got? I got the earlier SD15 (I think).

Can we do the firmware upgrade and if so what kind of stability can we see out of it?

18. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    I have SD15 firmware and my drive is about a year old now I think. No problems yet...wonder if it's not a broken one? :p

19. IkemenTommy

IkemenTommy Master Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 8800GT 512MB HDMI
  20. bluedevil

bluedevil Master Guru

GPU:
    Kfa2 RTX 2060 6gb
    2 months ago my 500 gb sata 2 32 mb buffer hdd died (lost all pictures homemade movies and stuff )
    i'm still waiting for a replacement from my computer store even tho the time alowed for them to repalce /fix stated in the contract expired last week and they refussed to give my money back :cussing:
    they refusse to replace my seagate hdd with a samsung or wd one saying that the papers were already made to ship me a new seagate one witch will probably die like the first one :eek:c:
    the company responable is www.dc-shop.ro so let this be a warning to any Romanian guys on guru3d