Screw smartphones, i bought the new nokia 3310

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by StewieTech, Jan 1, 2018.

1. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Anyone else have the feeling of becoming too dependant on your smartphone, and technology in general? Everywhere i go i see people staring at their screens instead of talking to each other. And the love one have for a piece of tech, cmon. So im receiving tommorow my new phone, the new nokia 3310. Ill see if i become more healthy and stop this nonsense. Sometimes i feel like im in a machine for pigs. Calls and texts, thats all i want now.

Anyone else did the same?

It would be interesting to see your opinions on this.

kanej2007, XP-200, airbud7 and 2 others like this.
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    well, good for you! But the question is, how long can you deal without mail and instant messaging?Give us some feedback in some weeks time, getting a simple phone is something i always contemplate.

airbud7 and StewieTech like this.
  3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Email i can see it once a day at night, im fine with it.

I dont use instant messaging or any social network. Hell, i barely use any smart apps really.

Will inform you later sure mate.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I have cheapest models of Sony smartphones for at least 10 years and I use only sms and calls. It is not because I feel like dependent on it (I am not attracted to social networks and instant messengers). I just don`t understand the pleasure of looking to a web world through keyhole. I have PC at home, PC at work, and that`s enough for me. On the road I prefer to sleep/listen music on good player/read books/spy on people and other city inhabitants. Also I am sure I don`t want to risk my health and even life by walking constantly staring at smartphone.

PS And btw I recharge my phone once per 3-4 days.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018

5. GroinShooter

GroinShooter Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SC
    Tbh, no. I do own a flagship model smartphone but during a regular day I rarely use it for other than work stuff, ie. texts, calls and listening to music while going to work. It is useful when I gotta navigate etc. but I'd say I don't have my face glued onto a screen any more than 10-15 years ago.

StewieTech likes this.
  6. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Easy there Tommy tough nuts. Just tell us about how you wear shorts in the winter and call it good.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I wish they had a big smart flip-phone, not real big but big.

did I say that right^....lol

StewieTech likes this.
  8. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Well that's a nice move - but that switch doesn't bring significant change if you weren't the type glued to your phone to begin with.

So if YOU were the one engaged with your phone 24/7 while in social environments and were overly reliant on apps, social networks and what not - then definitely the 3310 will make a change, otherwise it doesn't make a difference.

StewieTech likes this.
  9. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    The smartphone is a great tool for me.

- gps for my car
    - bike computer&gps for my bike
    - training tracker
    - internet browsing in the toilet

And trust me I am not dependant at all.
    At least the way you described : 'Everywhere i go i see people staring at their screens instead of talking to each other'
    I know exactly what you are talking about.
    My wife and my daughters are doing it.
    A lot of my friends and colleagues also.
    I do not.
    Maybe because I don't have a permanent internet connection.
    But even when I had, I was using it rarely outdoors only to find an information.
    It can also be that as a pc enthusiast I have my pc that offers me a great gaming and internet experience and I pass a lot of time with it.
    So an inferior experience is not tempting,
    and passing more hours doing the same things is not desirable.

My advice is to keep your smartphone and try to use it as you intend to use the Nokia 3310.
    This way you will have all the usefull features and functions available when you need them,
    without the dependence effect that frustrates you.
    If you think that you can't make it,
    try to make a new contract without permanent internet access.

10. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    Good for you. I use the apps every day and i listen to music trough apps, so i could not go back to a "dumb" phone. But i do not use it all the time like some tend do. I use apps for banking (paying bills ,authentication) I book my doctor appointments trough app, control my tv and radio (even heater) and most things i buy these days have a app. Chromecast and tidal is my most used apps. And tomtom app for the car and road bike for when i am out on the bike..

StewieTech likes this.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, only way to be, i am rocking what is now dead support wise, Lumia 640XL and i love it, SMS and callls and apps wise just Steam, Battlenet and MS autherticator, and that is it, and i love it, simple and easy.

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I use a modern flagship (Galaxy S8+) but I've recently thought about holding onto it, instead of upgrading at the end of my contract. With the state of smartphones nowadays, you won't see major upgrades with each generation, and older phones are still very functional (just replace the battery after a few years and you should be good to go). I use my phone for mobile browsing, socializing and for my car (Android Auto).

The one thing I miss about "dumb" phones is the battery life (and perhaps a physical keyboard as well). My current phone is decent on that front, but my previous phones had terrible battery life, necessitating an external charger for most outings (I'd lose 10% just walking to the bus stop). I hate the way that companies like Samsung copy Apple's "supermodel" design philosophy (thin and beautiful), and I wish they would use larger batteries, even if it made their phones a bit thicker (1 mm thicker for a 5000 mAh battery would be a pretty good trade, IMO).

13. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    With the coming of Android One to regular users flagships will be much less appealing to me, I have the S8 now and its a lovely phone but I use it for music, calls and texts plus the odd app (no games). I dont need the flagship power and cost but I want the updates and reasonable features. Hopefully by the time i upgrade again the One program will be a bit more mature with more phones. Plus mid range seems to have nicer features now looking at some like the new Samsung A8.

I like my smartphone but im not always on it, I can easily put it down and don't use social media (except the odd bit of reading only on twitter). To me social media is the bad thing not the smartphones themselves.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Congrats to the op for being so out of touch with society that he can afford to go without a smartphone. I put people like this in the same category as the people who cling to windows xp/7. Personally I'm not going out without my smartphone and smartwatch. I see no logical reason to go without these conveniences as they make me more productive. We'll see how long the OP can go without someone getting mad at having to wait all day for an email or messenger reply in 2018.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What society? When you walk or sit in transport glued to the screen of smartphone you are sure out of touch with society which is around you. Also are you calling surfing social networks "being in touch"?

That deeply depends on the type of work. I work at computer whole day, so I don`t need to use smartphone to communicate with co-workers. (And when I left the work I don`t need them to contact me. But they still can call me or send sms.)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Keitosha likes this.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    As opposed to what exactly? What else would I be doing "sitting in transport"? Just because people aren't being creepy and making small talk with strangers and being more productive, doesn't mean the world is crumbling. Please.
    Nope. I don't use social networks as I find them a waste of time. Not everyone's use for a smartphone is the same, stop making assumptions.
    I work with a computer all day too. Doesn't stop me from using a smartphone. I also communicate with other people outside of coworkers. Quite honestly I would feel quite annoying if someone required sms or calling for every time being contacted. Both of those cost money when there are very easy free alternatives.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    First two sentences of your post were too categorical, way beyond assumptions. (Others were more "conversational".) Hence my response.
    I made assumption about social networks based on my observation of fellow commuters (3 hours per day to work and back) in Moscow subway - 99% of people with smartphones do surf social networks, watch clips, and chat. May be it can be called "staying in touch" (with some hypothetical society) but hardly "productivity".

PS Theoretically speaking society is everywhere with more then one man gathered. And for example when you are "lost" in smartphone you can miss when someone nearby needs help, like old people, lost people. Also you can miss pretty or cute people nearby, or beautiful picture, etc. And that even not mentioning the danger of walking everywhere stuck in smartphone (I see a lot of such people).

Also to me it looks like OP is not the person who stays away from new tech. He wrote that he became dependent of new tech and decided to step away.

PPS I am not native English, so may be I use words wrong.

386SX likes this.
  18. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Maybe so which is why you shouldn't stay glued to your phone all the time. Doesn't mean one shouldn't own a smartphone because of this. That's a little extreme. Should still have one for replying to messages and the occasional googling at least. I personally try to balance things. A smartwatch helps with this as I can see my messages on my phone and decide whether it's worth taking my phone out of my pocket.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Of course one should not, but do you see a lot of people do stuck in smartphones? May be it is not a case where you live...

We in Moscow have a free WiFi in all transports (buses, trams, trolleys, subway, railroad), so people use that. And mobile operators offer proper tariffs due to a competition.

20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Sure, some people are on their phones but maybe it's not as bad here. I still think there's no reason for people to go without one. Just seems silly to me. I do think however that people should learn to pay attention to their surroundings when using one.