Screenshots taken of game *and* Battle.net adverts

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Darren Hodgson, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been using RTSS (current version v7.0.2) in conjunction with MSI Afterburner (v4.4.2) to take screenshots from games using the * (asterisk) key on the numeric keypad.

However, in the last couple of months I've noticed that, while I am getting screenshots from games as expected, I am also getting what appears to be images of adverts from Blizzard's Battle.net app that I always have running in the system tray.

I only noticed these when I opened up the Photos app in Windows 10 (v1709) and saw for every screenshot I'd taken that there was an image from Battle.net.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Learn to use profiles and define exceptions for unwanted 3D applications.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    For the blacklisting of this program I don't believe Battle.net.exe on it's own will be enough and I think you might also want the Agent exe and possibly the Helper too, agent is in the ProgramData C:\ folder and Battle.Net there and then the helper in the programs install path usually in Program Files for the software. :)
    (Was Battle.net but they changed it to Blizzard.net now I believe although it might not impact already installed versions.)

They're using Chromium and Battle.net now has hardware acceleration support unless disabled in the client settings, helper should be a Chromium process much as with Steam or Origin so blacklisting that might work depending on how these are displayed while retaining the speedup from keeping HW acceleration active for the software itself. :)

EDIT: It's an easy thing to test I suppose, blacklist one of these, press the screenshot key and check if it captured the media from the client software, if it did just hook the other process(es) and find which one it is when it stops capturing the playback.
    (Which is likely using HW acceleration thus why it gets hooked too and is part of screen captures and such.)
    I guess the list of current running detected 3d processes in Afterburner itself (The "i" button and then scroll down until it's listed.) could also be useful both here and in general for getting applications out of the way so they don't interfere with the software.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks Unwinder and Jonas for the reply.

My original post had more information but, weirdly, the forum would not post it at all due to a JavaScript error. I tried three different browsers as well.

Anyway, I think I’ve fixed the issue by holding down the Shift key while clicking on the Add button in RTSS. I noticed that Battle.net Helper was listed so I excluded that (the main Battle.net executable was already excluded). That seems to have fixed the issue.