Screens using Displayport disconnecting in eyefinity 120hz

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by bboy-mass, May 12, 2013.

1. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Ive been using dp on my u2412m x3 for a year without any issues under eyefinity and 2x7970.

I could select multiple resolutions and game on my centre screen in 1920x1200 whenever I wanted and the outer screens would turn off on there own.

GReat.

NOw I have purchased 3xbenq xl2420t 120hz screens and im having problems with screens disconecting until I reboot and whenever I choose a resolution other than my eyefinity rez my screens go blank and then come back to 5670x1080 (even when I choose 1920x1080 in game).

ITs easy to say it the benq monitors, but nothing else has changed?

Im currently restoring my system from a snapshot to load some fresh drivers. Currently restoring.

ANyone experience something like his after changing screens?

Can dp be different per model of screen?

Oh yes, ive disabled 120hz per screen and it still fails to run under 1920x1080 unless I turn the outer screens off?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Bboy

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    There is one thing you should check while side screens go black.
    Do they just go black and Power LED on bottom right goes from white to orange or does display show "Out of Range !" message?

If "Out of Range !" is displayed it means graphics card just placed some unsupported resolution/frequency on there instead of turning screens off.
    That is very likely, because Benq firmware just sux. I have same screen, probably with different firmware, since I have mine for pretty long.

I personally had problems with DP and this screen, it just would not sleep because it refuses accept mccs commands via DP. I reverted to DVI, since image quality and supported frequency is same for this screen.

Their gaming modes are bad too. Just yellowish with huge color loss.
    I spent 2 days modifying gaming up-loader binary to get "normal" color representation while retaining gaming features.
    If you still have your old screens, you may try to use old side screens and center 2420t. If it works, it means benq does not accept turning off command and card if forced to revert displayed area back.

But it should be possible to use primary screen for gaming and 2 secondary screens ON, displaying desktop/browser and other stuff. It unfortunately means destroying eyefinity group before starting game in this mode and recreating it for other games.

3. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Ive been advised to stop AMD external service as this can cause issues? Ill let you know how I get on.

My screens sleep ok and come back on when I move mouse. Takes about 3 secs.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Mine were "turning off" just for show.
    Screen went black, backlight was on, Power LED in bottom right was white instead of orange.
    Maybe new firmware solved that. I do not want to send it back just to have FW replaced :)

If you get bored you can do little test for me.
    - Power off display with capacitive power button.
    - touch and hold 2nd button from bottom (menu) and touch power to start display.
    - display starts as usually, but menu button brings "service" menu. And all other buttons brings standard menu
    - in service menu get FW version

Now fun part:
    - open your favorite graphic editor (gimp/mspaint/whatever)
    - go to color palette and notice how smooth are color transitions
    - switch different display modes/gaming modes to see if there are now sharp cuts (lost color) or too hi/low saturation

I wonder if they repaired it in new FW.

5. bboy-mass

bboy-mass Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 ti
    Ok, ill be messing around tonight and ill post results.

What are your settings for gaming?
    I dont realy care about 6500k and all that stuff. I want this display for gaming so I want bright vibrant colours with inky blacks.

Thanks.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    One of things in service menu is Panel used. Mine is "M24HW01 V8".
    RGB balance 95/98/100
    Bri/Cont 50/50
    Sharpness 5 (anything else is just bad)
    Black eQualizer 16 (my FW has sharp change on 12/13 and 15/16) - too bad I could not find how to modify this partial gamma curve to my liking
    AMA+Ins.Mode ON+ON (Ins. Mode would be super if it allowed change of intensity, 60/70% would be optimal. But still better ON than OFF)
    Dynamic Contrast 0 (off) - really bad function or badly implemented

7. MrBucket

MrBucket Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte 7970 Crossfire
    I've been having some other odd issues with my u2711 and 2405fpw both running off of mini dp (mini dp to dl dvi-d with the 2405fpw). sometimes the computer will have locked itself up during the middle of the night with some kind of sleeping issue related to dp. one screen will wake back up but its all out of order where things should be and has some elements flickering or corrupted in some fashion. every once in a while (maybe 1 out of 20) that its done this, waiting a minute or two after turning the screens on that it manages to recover from it. It used to lock itself up at night almost daily as recently as about a month ago, now it might do it once a week if that.

what its been doing now when I turn the screens off for the night is to move my foobar2000 window, and my asus xonar essence stx controls off of my secondary 2405fpw and onto my u2711 pretty much right in the middle of the desktop when theres plenty of space on the 2405 that I put them in, in the first place. now to add onto that issue, its started showing this red line on the very most lefthand column of pixels depending on what color it was supposed to be. sometimes it shows up, sometimes its gone, i believe darker colors are what prompt it to show up. cant take a screenshot of it as its being caused by something further down the line than the ability to take a screenshot is at.

Using dual 7970 for this as well, both gigabyte windforce models with a 1ghz oc on them. One is a rev 1.0 and the other a rev 2.1 regarding hardware. The rev 1.0 card is much nicer in the fact that its a beast overclocking whereas the 2.1 is locked down in a bunch of areas that limit its potential and had only found out after the thing was installed. I just got it without doing any research on the cards being sold a year after I bought my first one just so that they would match.

Anyway heres the culprits and one of the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyone else run into this?

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Unrelated, but I've seen it as many others...

In your week old thread. And that is where you should place details regarding your issue. Thx

Code:
    [/spoiler]
    tags are your friends, use them.