Screen Tearing and Stuttering Question

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TwinDenis, Apr 18, 2022.

1. TwinDenis

TwinDenis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    Hello, I recently played a few games and noticed some inconsistencies on my system.
    First game was averaging 48-60fps depending on where I look at (known new open world game),
    I tried a few combinations such as vsync on/off/fast, framecaps such as RTSS (but got tearing), using both cap and vsync on caused constant stuttering while using vsync on caused mostly stuttering on below 60 fps scenarios.
    On that game it is hard to lower the graphics as it still will dip in fps occasionally even if I use NiS by nvidia or FSR (via a program), I get some fps from the latter but it usually is not enough to be constantly at 60.
    Another Problem is that the monitor wont go below 49hz manually and capping the fps lower than the monitor's hz causes tearing either way, also with NiS I cannot lower the hz because it upscales it and reverts it to 60hz.

G-Sync and FreeSync are a bit out of the picture for now, I was considering getting a new card and a freesync monitor but until budget allows I need to figure another way to make it as acceptable and consistent as possible.

Any tips and options would be helpful.
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    You can use NIS with custom resolution via CRU instead of the Nvidia driver panel.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Im still getting occasional tear and stutter even with gsync and lfc. It depends on the game.

Use framecap and try hitting that 60fps.

4. TwinDenis

TwinDenis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980
    How to set a custom resolution for NiS to scale to?

Framecap only limited the max fps and still got tearing regardless, if the game used a framecap of its own it would stutter if I limit its fps closer to what it can get, unfortunately my monitor cant go below 49hz so that was an issue for sub-50fps dips.

5. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    In cs go, its best to limit fps at 130 on a 144hrz monitor, i dont know if this works for 60hz monitors, to limit it to 47fps for example