Screen issues on specific drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by misterelele, Nov 8, 2018.

1. misterelele

misterelele New Member

GPU:
    HyperX 4+8 GB
    Hello. I'm not native English speaker so sorry for all of my spelling mistakes.

Month ago, I changed my GPU from R9 270 to RX 580. When I changed it, I formatted Windows, went to newer version than before (1809), installed all needed drivers etc. When I launched the game (CSGO), I noticed that screen has some weird issues, and they happened on every resolution another than 1920x1080.
    Screens of these issues:

https://imgur.com/a/IkJCL2q
    https://imgur.com/a/YQW07IW

For example, around the green crosshair, there is weird 'outline', 'shadow'. And it happens on every resolution another than native, 1920. From normal view, like where I seat, screen looks like a little bit too-contrasted/too sharpened, I can't describe this that easy.

This happens on every driver newer than 18.3.4. The newest one, that went live 1 day ago, 18.10.2, has this problem as well.
    On drivers before and 18.3.4, everything seems good, seems because there on 1680x1050 I seen that issue with text (1st image, how it should look, 2nd image, how is it right now on these drivers):
    https://imgur.com/a/XqxjTDu

Except this problem on this specific res (1680x1050), everything seems to be good. I think.

Fun fact: I don't have this text issues on drivers newer than 18.3.4.

What did I try?
    - Clean reinstall with DDU
    - New Windows
    - I think I installed every needed C++ Libraries and frameworks .NET
    - Card is brand new, but I still cleaned PCI-E slot etc. Card has like 1 month.
    - I tried RadeonMod, didn't work
    - I tried different MSAA and FXAA settings, they don't change anything from my issues
    - I tried Windows display calibration etc.

Some facts that might have help you to help me (I beg you, please!):

- One time, I uninstalled 18.10.2. drivers. Then I started instalation of 18.3.4. While AMD display driver was installing and display was blinking, for 2-3 seconds I've seen artifacts - black screen with pixels on. Then screen went black again, and Windows poped up blue screen with VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and origin of problem: atikmpag.sys. It happened to me only 1 time.

- When I was installing different drivers sometimes (it was pretty random) I was getting artifacts as well, black screen with colorful pixels on it, it was always only while AMD Display driver instalation. I remember, when I did format after changing old GPU, it happened as well, Windows was full clean and it still happened.

- I got like 2-3 times these artifacts:
    https://imgur.com/a/K6AI5R3
    They happened to me only while browsing internet, and when I for example scrolled down, they dissapeared. When I went back to the top of site, they appeared. They never shown up in a game or something.

- I don't have atikmpag.sys file in Windows/system32/drivers. I have no idea why, I never touched anything there.

I share you summary log from HWiNFO taken with 18.3.4 drivers:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ec1rqqcafsyj74/log-summary.LOG?dl=0

I think thats all. Its a long post, but I'm trying to fix it for month. I'm so upset and sad, because I can't play CS with fun.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    What a pain. Image issue with edge contrast is likely HW scaling on GPU vs Monitor, try to ON/OFF in Radeon Settings > Display. (You'll still have blur as you are rendering on non-native resolution.)
    Your BSODs, ... sometimes read driver notes about not installing from drivers back and forth.

And you can at least tell us screen model. And what are you trying to achieve with lower, non-native resolution. Because in that wall of text those important parts are missing.

3. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Is Morphological Filtering in Radeon Settings (Global Settings or CSGO Game profile)?Put it OFF
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disable Automatic Driver Downloads on Windows 10.
    1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
    2. 2. Make your way to System and Security.
    3. Click System.
    4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
    5. Select the Hardware tab.
    6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
    7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - On Device Manager, Click on Display Adapters > Right on your RX 580
    - Then select UNINSTALL DEVICE. (also Tick Delete the driver software for this device)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Clean with DDU again. Restart
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Install latest GPU driver

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By the way (check carefully before), your Motherboard's BIOS (link) is very OLD.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. misterelele

misterelele New Member

GPU:
    HyperX 4+8 GB
    Yes, my bad, I'm sorry for not clearing it out. My screen on 4:3 looks very unnatural. Before it was smooth and blurry, exactly how it should be on that low resolution. Now its not, its like after some filter, hard to describe... I can see that pixels are like 'more sharp' than before, and around some text or HUD there is weird 'outline', 'shadow'. It may sound funny to you, but for me its a difference after years of normal screen :D

About GPU scalling... This doesn't work. I think, like this option doesn't do anything on my PC. I thought that it is responsible for stretching image or something? But I don't see any difference on screen, it does not matter if it's on or off.

I'll give you specs here as well:
    Monitor: ASUS MG248Q
    GPU: RX 580
    CPU: i3-4160
    MOBO: ASROCK H81M
    SYSTEM: Windows 10 64bit ver. 1803
    PSU: Corsair VS450
    RAM: 1x8 GB HyperX + 1x4 GB Kingston DDR3

Morphological Filtering always was off, both on Global and Game settings.
    I tried your way to uninstall drivers, nothing have changed.
    Btw. is BIOS updating good idea, would it be possible fix? I have never updated BIOS before.

5. misterelele

misterelele New Member

GPU:
    HyperX 4+8 GB
    Bumping, newest drivers 18.11.1 didn't fix it :/
    + I've seen some 'artifacts' (?) similar to this few times. After and before updating drivers. They often dissapear when I for example scroll down/up site or refresh the site, so its really weird.
    https://imgur.com/a/K6AI5R3
    Anyone, some ideas? :/

6. iakoboss7

iakoboss7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480
    i am seeing those artifacts on my rx 480 for more than a year now.

AlleyViper likes this.
  7. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 GX 8GB
    I've had those artifacts occasionally on Chrome since I've got my RX480 in Feb 2017. Affecting for most, if not all drivers, and I've went through 4 different official bios for my card as they were being released, an AM3 board and current AM4 system. It only affects Chrome, I've never noticed artifacts on any other program, nor Firefox >63 since I've installed it. Seems to happen when a tab is left unused for some time, and when you get back to it, it's shown garbled like that on some frames until they are refreshed (by scrolling, etc). Gmail tab is usually where I get it most.

There were some threads with reports about it on reddit, and the last time I've commented about this in a driver thread, a few other users were experiencing it too, both on 470/480/570/580, all different cards, bios, reference or custom pcbs. Only Polaris 10/20 and Chromium (both Chrome and Opera are affected) is the common denominator. I've made a thread about it on the official AMD forum, but never got an official answer.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    iakoboss7 likes this.
  8. misterelele

misterelele New Member

GPU:
    HyperX 4+8 GB
    Ok, so I see I'm not alone with this.
    What about this weird screen issues?
    As I said, on previous card everything was working. Unfortunatly, life of this card ended. I haven't change anything except new GPU (from r9 270 to rx580), so in my opinion it's still some problem with drivers. I have some drivers with gpu in the box, and I remember when I 1st time plugged card in, I installed them, but they are some old ones If I didn't forget.