Scratch Build: The Ultimate Computer Desk

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ultimatedesk, Dec 29, 2010.

1. ultimatedesk

ultimatedesk Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    New Face Plate

Cool!

lol

Lol yeah, hopefully that will uh.. be forgotten!

lol this is just fantastic

Thanks, I will keep those in mind. I have mounted them with screws so far, and actually, the noise is quite tolerable. I will look in to sound dampening a bit later into the project, however!

Thanks Vesian!

I guess it's been a while eh!

Well, you'll be glad to know, that I'm actually almost done. There've been a few changes to the original plan, etc, etc, but I've still been goign full steam ahead, just not a lot of time to post updates lately.

Here you go, some photo bombardment!

First off, my awful cutting job. Notice how the masking tape ripped off some of the polyurethane? Looks pretty great eh.. (NOT!)

[​IMG]

Fitting my original faceplate design

[​IMG]

I thought it didn't look too bad, but the USB ports were difficult to secure, and there were no audio jacks, so I went about and redesigned a new face plate

[​IMG]

Did some work with the band saw, scroll saw, and some sanding, and voila!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks not terrible eh? That's a nice unit from Silverstone that I picked up from my local computer store. Everything fits real nice and tight

[​IMG]

Holes for the power switch and LEDs look good

[​IMG]

And a quick test fit

[​IMG]

Wonderful! I cut the hole for the card reader / usb with a jigsaw, but neglected to take photos...

Anyways - after a couple coats of black spray paint, I think it looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

2. ultimatedesk

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    Older i5

With the faceplate out of the way, and hopefully, the last of the drilling / sawing / making sawdust portion over, for the right-hand cabinet, it meant I had the all clear to install more hardware.

Here are the two hard-drive trays with the actual HDD trays removed.

[​IMG]

Gave them a nice coat of black spray paint and they mounted them inside the cabinet. I think they look pretty groovy.

[​IMG]

Even groovier loaded up with hard drives.. (Two missing in this pic, 7TB total, however!)

[​IMG]

Now, before we get to the next pic... another boon happened recently - traded some of those Core 2 Duo systems + some cash and picked up a really cool previous generation Core i5!

Here's the power supply - a Corsair 650TX, a very quality unit. All that could be better is some modular action. Ah well!

[​IMG]

And another beautiful Gigabyte motherboard - a GA-P55-USB3 with 4 GB of G.Skill RAM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the sweet mother. A quad core 2.8Ghz. Wow, talk about moving on up the CPU chain!

[​IMG]

I picked up an older version of the Coolermaster Hyper 212 (Not the Plus version) and mounted a pair of Scythe fans to it

[​IMG]

Oooh, it's getting so close to boot time!

[​IMG]

3. isidore

isidore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Have to say, you have to get rig of the year award, seriously, an amazing job done so far.

4. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Amazing!

5. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Awesome job there bud!

6. ultimatedesk

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    Thanks! You honour me!

Thank you!

Thanks AMD4Sho!

Wow, with all those SATA cables there, it sure messes things up, no?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went ahead and threw in my current video card (Radeon HD5770, which kicks some pretty decent butt still). I'm sure I'll see an improvement from my P4 3.2!!!

[​IMG]

And here's the magical moment. It looks like it's already been tweaked around a bit. Running at 3.2Ghz instead of 2.8Ghz, RAM speed up to 1600Mhz... Hey - nice temps! That's only a few degrees over ambient! (It's chilly in the basement)

[​IMG]

Only one major problem with this setup... Can you see what it might be? (Well, ok, there's more than one thing not "ideal")

[​IMG]

That might cause an issue. I also don't like the way the heatsink exhausts all of its hot air directly onto the back of the video card, so off to the local computer shop!

This should do the trick:

[​IMG]

Much better. Fits almost like it was meant to be.

[​IMG]

Looks real good there actually. I think the wide fin spacing will be an advantage as well, since there is going to be a lot of general air flow throughout the cabinet.

[​IMG]

7. ultimatedesk

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    So, now that the hardware has been installed, I can proceed to managing those cables a little. I first cut a quick piece out of 1/4" hardboard with a few strategic holes

[​IMG]

Already much more to my liking. Time to place the new fans with their new mounting system

[​IMG]

Ok - with both "plates" in place, I can cut the appropriate holes in the door and go ahead and install!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woohoo, that blue furnace filter sure looks out of place eh? Everything fits, it's nice, snug, and square, so I went ahead and added a bunch of closed cell foam

[​IMG]

Another view of the almost finished right-hand cabinet old i5 system

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*Testing*

I've been using this cabinet setup for a little while now, and I'm happy to report that the temperatures are really quite nice. Because I've "sealed" the air intake portion, all of the intake air is coming through the blue furnace filter. You can literally feel suction if you place your hand in front of the filter. There is a massive amount of air coming out of the CPU hole, as well as the open PCI slots, power supply exhaust, and the half inch of space between the door and the "non-intake-area". (You can see in the previous photos, I did not put foam around the entire door perimeter).

So far it has been idling at ambient (23-25) and at maximum, just under 50 degrees Celcius.

I can hear the fans running - they are louder than all of the hard drives spinning up. I am going to get a small fan controller and get them down to the minimum speed while maintaining these current temperatures (There is a very large amount of air running through the case).

*To Do*

I have clearly got to find something to either replace the blue furnace filter, or cover it up with something a little more visually appealing.

Also, I need something to cover the CPU exhaust area. It will need to match whatever I do for the furnace filter area.

'Til next time!

8. ultimatedesk

GPU:
    ATI 5770
    On the other end of the desk, things have been progressing along nicely as well - had this beauty cut for me

[​IMG]

Placing it in the hole, it sits just a little bit too large. The original square I cut out was about a millimetre smaller on one end than the other

[​IMG]

So I took out the trusty chisel and did a bit of shaving!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There we go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mm, starting to look so awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The foam fan-holder will have to say bye-bye on this side, just like the one in the right-hand cabinet. Doesn't quite look right.

9. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Nice mobo!!!! I just got the Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 for my system and my buddy just got it also! Different platform of course, but looks like a similar design and cooling setup on your board, looks great!! I love the all black:) Willl look amazing through the glass keep it up! Cant wait to see more! Been following this for a while now hahaah. I think i'm more excited to see you finish this thing than I am about any new PC hardware at this point. You should write a book or make a DVD like that guy who built a Lamborghini in his basement lol.

Also! Just a thought (I'm sure you already have a better idea tho!) But for covering up that rectangular intake hole on the side, maybe you could do a set of louvers out of wood? So they would look like horizontal vents? I just dunno if that would restrict air flow too much! Just an idea tho! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

P.S. I know you probably mentioend this earlier on but its been a bit since I looked over the entire build-THose motehrboard trays? Did you make those from plexi or buy them? If you bought them where did you get them?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  10. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saffire AMD R9 285
    I am so jealous right now...

11. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I am resurrecting this thread. I need an update, my jondyness needs soothing. I need to know that this thing is done, and you have submitted it for ROTM!!!

12. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    I second that! So excited to see more progress.

13. Mythstery

Mythstery Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 classified
    For your fans you might want to look into the enermax magma fans. they are 12.99 - 15.99 each and move 65cfm with a max of 18-222 db.. i bought them for a silent pc build and on a controller on max they are quieter then the antec true quiet fan that came with the case..

14. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    bump for an update.

15. snowdweller

snowdweller Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    One thing you could use instead of that blue eye sore on the side is black speaker mesh you see on wall units that house speakers.

16. AMD4Sho

AMD4Sho Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Where's my @#$%$@ update!!!!

17. jeked

jeked Active Member

GPU:
    2x Gigabyte GTX 580 1.5GB
    Angst!?!

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No more bumps unless it's from the OP itself, no need to bump it if there's no progress.