Scott Peterson's convicton and punishment

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Damnit, Dec 14, 2004.

1. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    What makes this country great, and is making me more and more money all the time (liscenced gun dealer) :p

2. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Well in our country (Canada), gun % ownership is just slightly lower than U.S ,and gun murder rates are not that high. Lets face it, stable individuals will not kill regardles if they have a tank in their basment (unless it's in self defense offcourse). Geting rid of all guns would not solve very much of anything. It would make police life alot easier ,but that's another matter. Society needs to contentrate on poverty ,and making sure that as many children as posible grow up in stable and supporting familys. It really is the only way.

3. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    "I would rather see bastards like this guy rottening in a cell for the rest of his life. He cannot do anything like this again as long as he's locked away"

Yes, what a great idea. A loser with nothing to contribute to society except killing innocent women and children, just soaking up my hard earned tax-dollars in prison. Maybe he'll enrole in an educational program to further himself and spend more of my money. Wow, isn't life GREAT :)

"The easy availability of guns in the US is a major contributing factor in the number of murders there."

Ah yes, another great idea. No one will EVER get caught killing someone with the REGISTERED gun I just purchased. I'm just too smart.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  4. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    Christian values have led to schizofrenia from the middle ages!

5. glock38

glock38 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 285 2GB
    The Death Penalty

You have brutally killed someone, thats wrong, so we are going to
    show how wrong is it by killing you.

1+1=3?

6. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    "I'm not talkin about soft American executions like lethal injection, I'm talkin about farkin crucifiction folks! Let's bring back crucifictions, a form of capitol punishment the Christians and Jews of American can really appreciate. And I'd go a little further, I'd crucify people upside down. Like St. Peter - feet up head down. And Naked. I'd have naked upside-down crucifictions on TV once a week at halftime on the Monday Night Football game. The Monday Night Crucifictions! You would have people tuning in that didnt care about football. Wouldnt you like to hear Dan Deardorf explain why the nails have to go in at a certain angle?.......Now I dont care about capitol punishment one way or another cause I know it doesnt do anything...except maybe satisfy a kind of biblical need for revenge. You know if you read the bible, you see that its full of retribution and revenge, so really, capitol punishment is kind of a religios ritual. Its a purification right. Its a modern sacrement, and as long as thats true, I say lets liven it up a little"

- George Carlin

not intended to offend anyone, just something I was listening too earlier I thought everyone would appreciate in this thread ;) :p

7. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    i hate to beat a dead horse mcnabb311, but it's cheaper to keep him in prison for life than to execute him. I also think it is a far worse punishment to keep him for life, and if it were up to me the death penalty would be abolished because of that; not because i'm morally opposed to it. Like others have said, it's not that he doesn't deserve to die for what he's done, it's that he deserves worse. And for me that's life in prison.

8. mcnabb311

mcnabb311 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X ATI 4870 512MB X-Fired
    "but it's cheaper to keep him in prison for life than to execute him"

Thats a good one, LOL! Ok your'e sent to prison at age 18 and you die at age 80. And you mean to tell me your combined expenses over 62 years costs less than injecting a lethal chemical into your system after sitting on Death Row for maybe 15 years, and crying for mercy for destroying peoples dreams and lives. I need proof, not just I heard this, or that, or the other.

And I'd gladly pay more for the execution than for his sorry butt to be educated and fed for the rest of his life sentence. There are other expenses you have to consider also. Rent including electricity, water, food, plumbing, washateria, activities.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  9. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 370 4gb DDR 5
    Percentage wise, not even close. Unless you have a hunting license or belong to a registered gun club, an FAC is out of the question and even then it's not easy. As far as I'm concerned, that's the way it should be.

10. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    Amen!

11. Gilbo

Gilbo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    x800pro
    It's not simply the cost of housing the prisoner, it's the cost of the trial and appellate process.

For example, North Carolina spends $2.16 million more per execution than on a non-death penalty murder case
    http://www-pps.aas.duke.edu/people/faculty/cook/comnc.pdf

This report from tennessee was filed this year.
    http://www.comptroller.state.tn.us/orea/reports/deathpenalty.pdf

It's like this all over the country. Now, if you still disagree then that's fine, but understand that i'm not simply pulling this out of my ass. There are actual reports and figures to back up what i'm saying.

12. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Really? Canada is estimated to have about 8 milion licensed firearms. Which mean that at 30 000 000 people thats 26%. of population. Still a far cry from U.S, but that's alot of people with guns, alot more than most western countrys ,yet our murder rates are among the lowest in the world.

13. BigBluntKill3r

BigBluntKill3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6600-GT 128meg PCI-E
    i honestly don't think he will last long in prison,someone is gonna off him just like he did to his pregnant wife.prison code murders and serial killers get killed first then pedophiles etc.lets just say he hopes he has soap on a rope for a bit ;)

14. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 BIOSmod
    FYI, he didnt get life in prison, he was sentenced to death

15. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    Yeah, but he'll definitely be on death row for a while before they off him.

16. Byrd_Man5000

Byrd_Man5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE
    He's a worthless human being.

17. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I'm not saying if I think the death penalty is right or wrong, but what I do know is that in texas at least it costs MORE to kill someone than it does to keep them in jail for life...so I read that someone had it the other way around and thats just not true.

It costs over 2 mil to off someone.
    It costs 800,000 to keep them in jail for 50 years.

18. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:

Im sure that Texas must have a way of doing it cheaper? They do lead the nation in executions dont they (a good thing)?

19. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    Yea we do lead the nation in executions, and the actuall execution doesn't cost that much. But a person that gets executed spends an average of 28 years on death Row, almost half of a life sentence if you commit the crime when your middle aged, and then for the chemicals and stuff for the lethal injection it costs quite a bit of money.

Also there is a huge court procedure involved after the person already receives their sentence for some reason (not sure why) that takes quite a bit of money.

It has been recorded though that the victims family will sometimes pick up some of the tab.

And also, even though it costs more, here in texas even though a life sentence is for life, due to crowding in jails a lifer usually gets out after around 40 years, back out on the streets. That is even if they were sentenced without parol. If their lives are ended, that is not possible.

20. Damnit

Damnit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Vega 64 BIOSmod
    I think that the family of the victim should choose the method of death. Some people might want him to hang, others might want the more "humane" way of doing it. I dont see anyway of "humanely" killng someone. Its only humane to the people watching. The person being killed isnt going to care because THEY'RE DEAD!

I know that if someone killed my sister, I would spare no expense to see the killer mercilessly destroyed.