Scaling for 4k

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by klepp0906, May 11, 2021.

1. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    For the longest I used the "default afterburner MSI v3 skin - big edition"

it said default so I figured thats what it shipped with, and at one point I imagine it did. (im old, memory quit trying a long time ago)

I installed afterburner today in a VM to cross reference a setting or two and noticed that is no longer the current default skin. The new one is niiiice. Not to mention it provides much easier access to some of the features.

I'm just hung up on one thing, the scaling. It seems it doesnt respect windows scaling but the ability to do so manually is inside the app.

It does the job apart from making font look fairly blurry at the 150% thats the standard at 4k more or less.

I assume this is skin dependent and the blur is due to the skins fonts/assets not being high enough res or something?

2. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You do know Windows 10 has built in ability to fix scaling issues within the compatibility tab of program properties? Have you tried that?

3. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

You physically cannot scale prerendered raster image without blurring it. That's exact reason why default OS scaling ratio is ignored by skin engine and applicaiton provides own scaling ratio adjustment controls.
    And yes, it is reflected in MSI Afterburner and RTSS release notes.

4. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    im using bicubic 0.6 to upscaling to 4k

[​IMG]

5. klepp0906

klepp0906 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 2080TI
    thanks guys. pretty much reinforced what I was seeing and learned a bit more. A necessary evil then. now to decide between larger and legible but marginally blurry, or small and hardly legible but crisp.

or time for lasik.

or a bigger display!

all options :p