SBZ Switcher - Double click Speakers/Headphones mode switching available

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by applejack, Sep 13, 2013.

1. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    well, Nischi's issue was solved by allowing admin privileges, as it failed writing to SBZSwitcher.ini file.

anyway, new version released:

version 1.8.3:
    -------------
    - fixed tray menu "apply predefined profiles" could be unintentionally disabled in headphones mode
    - fixed dpi scaling in settings UI (tool windows position and icons size)
    - fixed single button hotkey (w/o modifiers) not displayed in settings
    - added left windows key support for hotkeys
    - added sbx pro studio hotkeys to "more hotkeys" new tab
    - updated handling of command-line params (including fixes and restrictions)
    - updated identification of sound blaster control panel executables

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sbzswitcher/files/Release/SBZSwitcher_v1.8.3.7z/download

notes: I had to do some manipulations in order to support left windows key, as the hotkey inputbox I'm using doesn't support that by default. as a result a winkey icon will appear next to the hotkey inputbox if used.
    also note that windows default hotkeys using the winkey cannot be overridden by sbzswitcher at this time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    Was the option to "Force 5.1 Surround on Switch To Stereo Speakers/Startup" Changed with the startup option removed? I loved that feature but now it seems i have to force 5.1 manually every time i reboot or startup my PC.

3. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    the "startup" word has been removed from that sentence for aesthetics reasons (just so it can properly fit the first groupbox).
    if checked it should successfully force windows 5.1 at startup, given your SBZ control panel is set to stereo speakers. at least it does for me and I just tested several scenarios/settings to verify.

for comfort you can test the "startup" behavior without actually rebooting if you launch "SBZSwitcher.exe -startup" (note it will obey the "default startup mode switch delay" if a "default startup mode" was set and is required at launch).

it should still work regardless of the -startup param, I only suggest you test the -startup param because it is now used at logon by default, where things may behave slightly different than a regular launch.

report back with your findings and feel free to also send your ini file and log file for me to examine.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. Kronvict

Kronvict Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SLI
    Ok i seem to have found the culprit. Apparently when i wake my computer from sleep, windows reverts back to Stereo. When i reboot or turn on my pc from being powered down the app works fine and forces 5.1 on startup. :)

5. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    In this case you could add a task to windows task scheduler which will run "SBZSwitcher.exe -force" on wake up.
    using -force param will toggle windows stereo/5.1 surround. it will however toggle regardless of current speakers/headphones mode.

if you wanted to switch to speakers at wake up but also just re-force windows 5.1 if speakers were already used but windows defaulted back to stereo,
    you could have the task first kill the current SBZSwitcher.exe running process and then relaunch it (with -speakers param, or without any param if you already set speakers as "default startup mode")

6. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    Wow, this is a must-have for anyone with SBZ. Why can't Creative come up with something similar on their own to make its customers' lives easier?

7. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    maybe no one at Creative really use their own products regularly. its like they all move on to another project and forget about it (and us).

anyway the highest download count I've seen for a single release was 653 via mediafire, 5 months ago.
    previous version at sourceforge got to 420 downloads. I guess not everyone with SBZ (or Recon3D) is familiar with the switcher just yet :)
    (although I tend to update quite frequently so a single version d/l count doesn't necessarily reflect the total userbase count)

8. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    version 1.8.4:
    -------------
    - fixed offests of control panel pixel sampling coordinates for Deutsch [de-DE] software lang. under Win8.x
    - added EQ workaround for ZxR with no DBPro card installed, while DDL or DTS software pack installed.
    - includes minor UI changes.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sbzswitcher/files/Release/SBZSwitcher_v1.8.4.7z/download

note: the EQ workaround (see extra tab \ debug section) should work for any case in which the "Cinematic" tab is missing from the SB control panel (I might not be familiar with all possible cases).

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  9. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    I know this is a long shot, but do you plan to add other devices to the switch to list?

Id love to be able to pick my G930 USB headset as a secondary device rather than the one on my SB ZX, so that I can switch between SB Zx 5.1 and my G930 headphones.

There are other tools to do it, but this is just so...nice :)

10. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    you want the switch to just set a default device in windows audio control panel, or are there more steps involved ?
    also, would you expect other specific SBZ Switcher functionality to work for that device in "headphones" mode?

------

FYI, I'm aware that latest version failed to fix [de-DE] on win8, maybe even break it further.
    I received wrong sized (manually cropped) control panel window captures from a user and based stuff off it without noticing :frown:
    however we sort it out and fix is scheduled for next release, hopefully with some other improvements while at it.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014

11. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Hi Kastriot,

That is what I am currently using :)

However this switcher is just...nicer

@applejack yes, I would love to be able to just change the default device like audioswitcher does. So I can easily pick my G930 headset or my SBZx 5.1

12. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    If I'm going to add this feature, I first have to plan implementation route:

1. allow user to choose alternative headphones mode (in which most of SBZ Switcher functionality is disabled)
    2. add a hotkey or some other way to toggle devices, whereas SBZ Switcher remains fully functional (managing its own device / SB control panel) regardless of device in use.

option 2 would probably be the easier / safer (prone to regressions) route.
    I'm open to suggestions though, feel free to add a 3rd one, just pick your poison.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  13. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Both of those options sound great!
    Whichever one is easiest for you though. If you need testers I'm sure myself and others will gladly test for you!

14. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    version 1.8.5:
    -------------
    - refixed Deutsch [de-DE] software lang. pixel offests under win8.
    - fixed Russian [ru-RU] software lang. pixel offsets under win8.
    - fixed winkey icons shown next to volume hotkeys eventhough winkey not used.
    - fixed SBX hotkeys checkboxes issue caused by previous update.
    - added default playback device selection to tray menu.
    - added toggle playback devices hotkey to "more hotkeys" tab.
    - updated tray icons to use transparency.
    - includes minor changes & optimizations.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sbzswitcher/files/Release/SBZSwitcher_v1.8.5.7z/download

edit: reuploaded with update to tray icons transparency.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  15. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    well if you don't specify a secondary device, it will toggle between all available playback devices.
    so if you have 3 devices, you're just 1-2 'clicks' away from destined device. make sure to enable balloon tooltips so you're notified with resulted default device on each toggle.
    (I can exclude devices such as the SPDIF-Out. I think it shouldn't be set as default in any case, can anyone confim ?)

if you insist on separate hotkeys for each device, I assume they shouldn't toggle anything, but always set destined device, right ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014

16. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Applejack, this sounds fantastic - I'm in work, but will test when I'm home later!

In relation to SPDIF-Out, it can be default for a lot of people if they are using coax/optical out to an external decoder like an Onkyo or Yamaha, or even smaller AIO systems like Edifier S750 or Logitech Z5500 or Z906

17. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    @applejack

Works like a dream!
    Exactly what I needed - thank you so much!

Do you plan on adding a tray icon customisation for 'secondary device' so i can set it as green for speakers, orange for my G930? That would be awesome!

18. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I use SB Z with Z5500, but using digital (DDL/DTS) only works if I set "Speakers" as default device. setting SPDIF-Out as default device won't produce sound at all.

I do suspect however that ZxR with DBPro might require user to set SPDIF-Out as default for DDL/DTS to work, because some ZxR user at the Creative forum's post requested the speakers/headphones switch to also toggle playback device.
    that's a whole new can of worms I wasn't aware of, and should be addressed if true.

I hear you. will find a way to implement that.

-----

@kastriot, I'll do my best so you could go from two tray icons to just one :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  19. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Fantastic stuff applejack, keep up the great work!

20. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    version 1.8.6:
    -------------
    - updated primary icon (fixed icon resolutions issue).
    - updated "close sound blaster control panel after switch" checkbox to support exit/kill process.
    - added 3 additional hotkeys for setting target playback devices.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sbzswitcher/files/Release/SBZSwitcher_v1.8.6.7z/download

note: setting "close sound blaster control panel after switch" checkbox mode to "exit..." also affects tray icon left click action if configured to open/close control panel.

-----

@nakquada, sorry I've been busy lately so haven't yet implemented secondary playback device icon customization. this is planned for next release.
    also waiting for someone to help me understand how ZxR treats speakers/spdif playback devices.