SBZ control panel broke

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Xul Aethyr, May 27, 2020.

1. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    after updating to windows 10 2004, opening sbz control panel just has the error message "failed to create a 'imagesource' from the text /skins/logo/logo_soundblaster.png"
    reinstalling didnt work, seeing if somebody knows a fix while i wait for an update

2. RaulR

RaulR Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT AE
    Hello, i have a Sound Blaster Z, and i experienced almost the same issue. After updating to 2004, the sound control panel opened, but most of the features were disabled and couldn't be activated. Then i uninstalled everything from Creative, used DDU in Safe mode to erase any Creative drivers, installed the driver as usual and then it worked perfectly.
    Sorry to hear you're having issues, i know from experience Creative take a while between driver updates, especially on older cards.

3. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    thank you, i tried ddu, same error message after reinstall

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    DDU is not enough to fix this, and one of the reasons im not on 10 (as all creative devices need screwing around to make crap work after an update)

problem lays in the fact Creative are still putting driver files into system32 instead of using DriverStore and Program Files where appropriate, the windows moves various soundblaster files OUT.

5. Charvester

Charvester New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R290 TRI X
    Jep tried it too, doesnt work.. waiting for a new driver. maybe 2021...

6. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    I did a straight upgrade to 2004 and have no issues.

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I'm on Win10 Pro v2004 and had just installed a SB Zx into my HTPC rig, the SPDIF output's borked so I had to resort to this Zx that I have literally lying around on one of my desks. Wasn't aware that there might be issues, it's running fine with the latest Creative driver I'd had installed. My caveat is, I'm using the SPDIF output from the card to my soundbar. The SB Z series control panel is working just fine as I have control over the various setting, I've enabled DD Live for 5.1 sound in movies and games I believe.

8. D-0815

D-0815 New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    Same error here. Someone reported the same error message in 2016 in the EVGA forums. Not sure theyll ever going to fix that. :(

9. Xul Aethyr

Xul Aethyr Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI MSI Gaming X 2ghz
    seems like its most likely to happen if you already have it and update windows, must be a way to get it working again

10. D-0815

D-0815 New Member

GPU:
    1080ti
    probably by reinstalling und updating windows and then installing the driver. but im not gonna do this just to get the control panel working again .

11. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    I just found this thread. Sound hasn't "sounded" right since 2004 upgrade...now I know why. Front is rear and left is right. Will try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it helps any. BTW...if you go into "Sound" applet in Control panel...same problem. So Creative Sound Blaster control panel isn't broken...the entire sound system is

12. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    OK...got sound back to normal. First...used DDU in safe mode to remove Creative Audio drivers. Rebooted...still had sound...(I run 5.1...so tested without drivers...left and right were correct...but middle and Bass did not work). Went into device manager...Soundblaster Z was still there...right clicked and chose remove...then Windows asked me to delete all the drivers...told it yes...removed. Rebooted again...had sound when I got back into Windows...Soundblaster Z once again in Device manager. Then I went to reinstall the latest drivers...it gave me the option to remove old drivers, modify or repair. I chose repair. Did the installation all over again...rebooted and checked channels in Sound within CP and they were all correct. Went into Creative Control panel and did my speaker setup all over again...set my EQ and the tested...all seems good now. A lot of work...but my 5.1 setup is working properly again...

13. bobmitch

bobmitch Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC
    Had to repeat reinstall a week later. Don't know why....but speaker config messed up again...