1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SB Reacon3D Quad Core? Really?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Aleksandar012, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Aleksandar012

Aleksandar012 New Member

GPU:
    Asus Radeon 3870
  2. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    wtf? Is that a joke? Could be some 0.0001 nm technology :3eyes:.

3. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    It is quad core, what's so strange about the chip? lol

regards,
    RagDoll.

4. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    If the picture is authentic, the recon is way smaller than the xfi that has only one core.
    Although it doesn't mean it's impossible to make a quad core that small, it does look suspicious.

Remember, it is a sound chip, not a CPU and doesn't need that many transistors. Also the new chip might be made on smaller fabrication technology

Btw, my suspicion is more to the authenticity of the pics

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

5. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    I'll have mine hopefully fri.. I have the Titanium HD also.. So I can compare stereo sound anyhow,and headphones.

6. LifeInferno

LifeInferno Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Quad CF
    the pic is real i saw mine too and its true i believe its quadcore as i see perfomance im ok with it even its 2core

7. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    What worries me the most is the obvious lack of 7.1 sound, much capacitors, OpAmps (even not easily replaceable) and all external connectors for cut-down (non-professionsl) card.

About the processor - well, it is not something surprising, considering that today "core" doesn't mean much (look at Nvidia and AMD video cards)... and also considering they had been hard at work with their Zii "stem-cell" processor... I think this one is a derivative of Zii... but of course I might be wrong...

Still I think I will upgrade to Titanium in the nearest future, something tells me Recon3D is not for me.

P.S. So at least I see some mega-positive reviews, I will really doubt this is the "new" X-Fi of modern time... (ahh... good old times... I still fondly remember my AWE32...)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  8. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 770 2gb
    I'll sell you my Titanium HD..

9. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Looks pretty skimpy if true. I'm pretty happy with my SB0880. Now what is that ASRock thing?

10. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    The Creative Audigy2 drivers still give me nightmares sometimes in the night...they were so good yes.

11. NAJMI ADNAN

NAJMI ADNAN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X TriX 4GB
    Quad crap, its just marketing. That ASRock is using the same DSP as the Recon3D but the PCB is smaller and much better capacitor, its bundled with some of their high-end motherboard perhaps like what ASUS did. They had cramped a supposedly 'quad core', ADC and DAC in that one package? I doubt so, maybe they refer to DAC and ADC as cores as well :wanker:

Creative has gone backward, instead of making good hardware DSP they had gone onboard style, integrating everything on that tiny little chip, emulate things on software, put a fancy heatsink on it and give some funky naming and pricing of the card that's better than them (X-Fi series). We already have tons of onboard codec that offers similar performance to Recon3D so why bother spend that much?

For those who wanted to know more of this, read the article from VR-Zone here

12. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    why not just switch to a external dac with a headphone amp.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    You have to take into account that people would want their gaming features of their cards. If they go external they will loose the features that they bought the card for. Unless the card they have has Spdif output or Coxials.

If he doesn't have the audigy 2 add-on digital output device. Then he be outta luck. But he can get around it with a used X-Fi Gamer, Using its Spdif output to a Audio-GD NFB 12. While having the Gaming features. He can get the best of both worlds with it plugged into the Audio-GD NFB 12 thru spdif or Coaxial, Or another External Dac amp.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  14. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    And this is why I will never buy another Creative product. All marketing, no substance. I knew this card was going to be a flop from the very first press release. Not even going to bother reading reviews.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    Then sell your creative card and move on to asus xonar or the HT omega or a full external setup, if you really so fed up with creative. There's no reason to keep something if your not happy with the company or the product. But if you do, you would be giving up the gaming features, unless you simply don't care about loosing EAX 3-4 for older games and eax5.

But I don't see the cards as a flop if they flying off newegg in doves. It be something else if no one was buying it. So far I see a couple of people enjoying it over their last X-Fi Card.

I def wouldn't buy them as they be a down grade from my X-Fi HD PCIE, do to it not having any op-amp sockets. Even if i could solder dip-8 sockets on it. It wouldn't be any point.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

16. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    I just wondered - Fatal1ty Professional edition - is it the same "under the hood"?

By outside photos they look a bit different - and I am not sure in a good way.
    Also just wondered what features will be supported?
    Will they allow full 5.1 input optical signal decoding?... But actually with any Dolby logos absent - I doubt it will happen.

Really strange sound card with a strange targeted audience...

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    I was actually hoping they made a 5.1 ver of my card, That would had made Goat very happy if that happened.

18. nikavelli

nikavelli Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti
    I don't care if it's "flying off newegg in droves". People are stupid, it's that simple. In my opinion, the only thing Creative's good at is marketing. People see this shiny new soundcard box from Creative with new features like "quad core" and they buy into it. Just look at the PCB. It looks more barren than my beer fridge after Sunday. This card has massive fail written all over it.

And EAX is flop too. That's why game studios stopped using it years ago. Can this card even accelerate EAX in hardware?

19. Sheza

Sheza New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 560Ti HAWK
    From a bystander view that is more interested in marketing than sound cards - I agree with this person. My own experience with Creative's 2011 products shows that a lot of the stuff is software based, relying on the fact that we have high-end CPUs. Furthermore, standard technology is simply given a new name and a fancy logo to make it sound amazing.

20. El3h

El3h Member

GPU:
    2x 580GTX
    personally I really like my new soundcard, its much better than my Asus Xonar D2X, I personally dont give 2 flying... about ASIO and all this bs about SNR being 12 higher on x-fi.. quick question: Could you really notice the difference? I highly doubt it and if you did I doubt its obvious enough to cry over.

I bought my Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional not because of marketing but because I know Creative is great for sound positioning in games and thats what I use my pc for: Gaming.