SB Live Value vs. Avance AC97 Audio (On board)

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by slcaptain, Apr 25, 2004.

1. slcaptain

slcaptain Guest

Should I use the SB Live Value sound card or just use the on-board audio? I personally do not notice any different between them. What do you guys think?

2. CharBroiled

CharBroiled Guest

I used my SB live 5.1 instead of the onboard for 2 reasons.. EAX on the SB plus the SB (almost certainly) has lower CPU usage for games.

3. Jedi Jezz

Jedi Jezz Guest

If you download the latest drivers from the realtek site and your chipset is a ALC 650 or 655 you can use EAX fine.

Jedi Jezz

4. Coolppl

Coolppl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForceFX 5600 VIVO 128MB
    It also then uses its own buffer instead of your own purchased RAM (Useful for 256MB RAM Gamers and lower)

5. T_K

T_K Guest

basically any on-board card will load your system a bit (usage of memory and cpu) unlike additional pci card (not only sound card also modem graphic card..etc.) wich have they`re own proccesing unit and memory so they unload these processes from youre main cpu+mem.
    BUT!
    before you plug in youre pci card check it`s at least as good as your o/b card (EAX, how many channels at once... my ac97` supports EAX II)
    if the o/b card has better specs stay with it, the load on your system will be inconsiderable.

6. slcaptain

slcaptain Guest

I found the information of my on-board audio in the Realtek website. Do you guys think this AC 97 Audio is better SB live value PCI card? Can you help me to make the choice?

==============================================

ALC650
    AC'97 Audio CODEC

General Description
    The ALC650 is an 18-bit, full duplex AC'97 2.2 compatible stereo audio CODEC designed for PC multimedia systems, including host/soft audio and AMR/CNR based designs. The ALC650 incorporates proprietary converter technology to achieve a high SNR, greater than 90 dB. The ALC650 AC'97 CODEC supports multiple CODEC extensions with independent variable sampling rates and built-in 3D effects. The ALC650 CODEC provides two pairs of stereo outputs with independent volume controls, a mono output, and multiple stereo and mono inputs, along with flexible mixing, gain and mute functions to provide a complete integrated audio solution for PCs. The digital interface circuitry of the ALC650 CODEC operates from a 5V/3.3V power supply with EAPD (External Amplifier Power Down) control for use in notebook and PC applications. The ALC650 integrates a 50mW/20ohm headset audio amplifier into the CODEC, which can save BOM costs. The ALC650 also supports an AC'97 2.2 compliant SPDIF out function which allows easy connection from the PC to consumer electronic products, such as AC3 decoder/speaker and mini disk. The ALC650 CODEC supports host/soft audio from Intel 810/815/820/845 chipsets as well as audio controller based VIA/SIS/ALI chipsets. Bundled Windows series drivers (Win95/98/ME/2000/XP/NT) and sound effect utilities (supporting Karaoke, emulation of 26 sound environments, and 5-band equalizer) provide a more comprehensive entertainment package for PC users. Finally, internal PLL circuits generate required timing signals, eliminating the need for external clocking devices.

Features
    High-performance CODEC with high S/N ratio (>90 dB)
    18-bit ADC and 20-bit DAC resolution
    Compliant with AC'97 2.2 specifications
    18-bit stereo full-duplex CODEC with independent and variable sampling rate
    4 analog line-level stereo inputs with 5-bit volume control: LINE_IN, CD, VIDEO, AUX
    2 analog line-level mono inputs: PC_BEEP, PHONE_IN
    Mono output with 5-bit volume control
    Stereo output with 5-bit volume control
    6 channel slot selectable DAC output for multi-channel applications
    2 MIC inputs, which are software selectable
    Power management capabilities
    3D Stereo enhancement
    Embedded 50mW/20ohm OP at front LINE output
    External amplifier power down capability
    Digital S/PDIF output
    Digital S/PDIF input (ALC650 Rev. E or later)
    No external crystal/clock required
    Supports 1 general purpose I/O pin
    Power supply: digital: 3.3V; analog: 5V/3.3V
    Standard 48-pin LQFP package

7. Coolppl

Coolppl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForceFX 5600 VIVO 128MB
    Well, it sounds like this exceeds curret sound cards lower then the audigy 2 in the creative department since its 18bit or 20 bit or something in playback mode but I think this codec will give you a harder time to use in gaming

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Just my opinion but: Sound is very subjective. I have this codec on my mobo..I used it for a while I found the sound to be very sterile and cold. the onboard DSP is rather "overwhelming" I obtained my original SB live 5.1 back and noticed a major difference. The thing is is not to be fooled by specs. if one sounds better then the other then use it. Don't use something just because it's written it's better. I have always been into the digital audio. I just recently moved to the gaming arena...like in the last few days. So in that respect I am just a noob. but I do know digital audio. Now as far as I know EAX is just reverb presets for diiferent evironments within a game. I use the SB but I use KX drivers which currently do Not have EAX support, They improve the sound of the card immensly over stock creative drivers. You might want to try those. Try one audio card for a day then the next if one sound better..then go with that. If you don't notice any marked difference then use whatever is easiest on the system, as the other guys said the add-in card has it's own buffers and DSP memory but thats negligible...hope that helps.

9. Shex

Shex Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GeForce GTX 970 HOF
    KX drivers ? could you paste a link where i can get these drivers plz.. if you don't mind :)

10. smokey163

smokey163 Member

GPU:
    8800ultra 648/1620/972
    I use soundblaster live over AC97 because GTA vice city reported onboard sound had only software buffers and not hardware buffers.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I know it's weird...these drivers put the stock creative drivers to shame....I mean right to shame. though it seems not to many people know about them. it's www.kxproject.com. good points:
    Skinnable mixer
    about 40 hardware accelerated effects
    Patch bay
    router
    DSP Mixer
    when I found them I played with them for about two days straight. They have a forum too if you run into trouble I didn't seem to have much problems...have fun..I know I did:D

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    BTW THESE DRIVERS ONLY WORK WITH CARDS THAT HAVE THE
    10K1 or 10K2 Audio Processors...i.e sb lives, audigy1, audigy2.. check the compatibility list or search the form if your not sure. as I said if they don't work just roll back to creative drivers..

13. Shex

Shex Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GeForce GTX 970 HOF
    Thx dude :)

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No problem, let me know how they work out for ya...