SB Live! 24Bit

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by NetSpider, Dec 10, 2004.

1. NetSpider

NetSpider Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 660
    I had to give my dad my SB Live Value (cuz the MIDI port ) and he got me this SB Live 24 Bit ... over all i find this card ok .
    better sound (Sampling rate 48kHz =>96kHz BIG difference )

but i don't have some options that i had in the SB Value .
    like the custom EAX console , i can pick only active presets ...

and i got some other options blocked in the Surround Mixer (next to the master control volume)

and i searched the net for maybe newer drivers , but couldn't find any ... (even the creative site don't have any) .

maybe someone can help me out .

Thanks ;)

2. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I've got the same problem but I'm not impressed with EAX or anything. My ALC 655 chip on my MB had EAX2 support but the chip died on me and I'm not at all bothered. I went out, bought the Live 24 bit and it's ok. I really don't care about EAX as I've found the sound quality to be basically the same. As for drivers: I think the ones that came with the card are good enough and that they will do just fine. A soundcard is not a video card with which games become incompatible very quickly and easily.

But if you explained to me what all those presets are meant to do I migh be able to find a use for them... another thing to tweak and play with.

3. NetSpider

NetSpider Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 660
    Its just i could do some custom things ... well not a big deal .

i guess its not possible , all those options are blocked .
    but they all open in Audigy/2 .

maybe there is hacked/tweaked drivers that open the options ... who knows .

4. nEffect

nEffect Guest

Maybe it's because Soundblaster live! 24bit does not support hardware EAX....

5. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I thought the SB Live 24 did support Hardware EAX. If not I'm deffinitely going to have to buy the Audigy as the Live will offer no real improvement over the onboard thing that died on me.

6. Edgewood Dirk

Edgewood Dirk Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce 7950GT AGP 512mb
    Okay, I'm having a problem with this card, too. When I set up the card with my Creative Inspire 5.1 5200 speakers, all the speakers tested fine, front and rear right/left, the center, and the subwoofer, all tested out separately and good. However, when I play music in Realplayer, or play a game, it only plays out of the front right and left speakers, and the subwoofer only seems to be used a little, not much sound coming from it. Why would it test fine and then not work in practice?

7. NetSpider

NetSpider Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 660
    IN the speaker Settings you got Bass Management And Bass Boost ...
    so try it out .

8. tyxeros

tyxeros Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1080
    I have a similar problem when hearing dvd or playing games. The sound has an echo effect in 5.1 mode both in games and movies. There is not any effect enabled and i have formated my computer at least 3 times. I cannot find any solution.

9. 99atlantic

99atlantic Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI'd 7800GTX
    http://www.soundblaster.com/products/live24bit/compare.asp

it says it supports eax and eax advanced hd, but not hardware acceleration of eax....whatever that means.

me - i'm happy with mine.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    hmm..lots of questions....ok i'll see if I can help, I did own one for 48hrs for testing purposes. lets see:

These cards do not contain a 10Kx DSP chip which is stock on most SB cards from the live to the ZS- with exception of the LS which has a similar chip as this model. This is also why it does not have HW acceleration for EAX, this is accomplished with software - meaning the effects are not using any specific functions of the DSP as in the other models of CL cards. This also explains why you cannot change individual parameters of the effects..or patch them the way you want. I don't think CL really speant too much time on this model....it's meant to be a one shot stab at a cheap EAXHD solution..unfortunatley it's not good for much other than games. There is no driver updates except for the disk related utility mainly because the card is just too new. Clear as mud...hope that helps.

11. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    What's the difference performance wise between the SB24 and eg. the Audigy crards? I think the soundquality that this card pumps out is good enough, all I am interested in is framerate.

12. 99atlantic

99atlantic Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI'd 7800GTX
    i'm not a serious sound guru, but I can't tell the difference between a live 24bit card and a audigy model *shrug*

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Same old debate.. well based on specs the audigys would be better as effects processing is handled with the 10KX DSP chip...BUT this difference is negligible..it's the same old onboard versus add in debate..which still rages on...for instance an onboard versus a addin would only give ~5-10 FPS difference in games.. The question I have for you is whay are you worried about such a minor detail such as this if you state your clipping along at 3.12 Ghz?....it's not to be worried about....hope that helps..just my opinion.

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    hey 99..you stated something else while I was answering another question...Your absolutley correct..For the most part you shouldn't be able to tell the difference as they both have 24 bit DAC....the difference is in the Signal processor..on the SB24bit..you cannot access it as you can with the audigy....Now if all you do is game then thats fine if you want to settle for that, I like being able to access the DSP directly and change signal parameters...thats just me though..

15. 99atlantic

99atlantic Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI'd 7800GTX
    yep - that's just you :D ;)

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I'm not worried at all (anymore). The only thing I am worried about is my damned video card and as for 4-10fps... jeez, as if anyone would notice the difference. Screw it, I'm keeping this card untill it dies and then I'll Kill Bill, whoever he may be.

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yeah..thats just me....well if your satisfied with Crayola labs latest version of fisher price drivers....and your games and music/video sound good to you then whats the big deal? I personally am into audio..hey if it works for you than thats great....some people can't be bothered with deciding if their system sounds good or not...is that what you mean? I never said anything was wrong with the SB24...they sound not too bad...but they are locked...but some people enjoy handcuffed hardware;)

18. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    The only thing I am bothered about being handcuffed is the fact that the 8KNXP doesn't allow the changing of mem timings, not that that matters either because my mem is rated for 3 4 4 8 and my MB runs everything bt SPD and the fact that the I can't increase CPU voltage above 1.6.

My wife says I am tonedeath so I couldn't care any less about sound. I just thought that the Audigy might improve gaming experience a bit more. I love tweaking and playing with hard and software and I wish there was something I could do about my 57LE being 64bit, but I don't care about sound. Man a SB128 would do me fine, apart from the fact that they hardly have any hardware acceleration.

But according to the diagnostic screen of 3DMark 2003 and PCMark 2004 I do have hardware EAX. Strange... but irrelevant nonetheless.

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    No you don't have HW acceleration for EAX...this card is brand new so I assume that diagnostics cannot test it correctly...as far as me timings and voltages are concerned this is not the proper forum...

20. 99atlantic

99atlantic Member Guru

GPU:
    SLI'd 7800GTX
    did the original Live! cards (e.g., when they first came out in like 1999 or whenever it was) have hardware EAX?