Sata ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MIKEEE, Jun 13, 2007.

1. MIKEEE

MIKEEE Master Guru

GPU:
    X1650 Pro
    Can someone please tell me what SATA is and does, I have noticed that I have all the wires for it that come with my mobo ?

2. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
  3. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Basically its better than your current ATA setup for your Hard Drives. It is faster, no messing with jumpers, the wiring is much smaller and cleaner. If you have the chance to upgrade from ATA to SATA, don't hesitate and join those who are living in the future. The future is now :thumbup:.

4. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    SATA is just a hard-drive version of the RS422 style data bus.
    It's a pair of differential lines for transmit, and a pair of differential lines for receive.

The 5 wires are :
    Ground, A+, A-, Ground, B+, B-, Ground

A is a data line, and B is a data line.
    The Difference between A+ and A- is one bit stream (send, for example)
    The Difference between B+ and B- is another bit stream, (receive, for example)

it's actually like FireWire too, except FireWire includes an optional 30v power connection.

Typical ATA would have many more wires.
    Instead of sending a 0 or a 1, at a time. It would send a group of 0's and 1's at a time.

multiple bits at a time requires multiple traces(wires). these wires cause electromagnetic fields that interact and cause interference.

a stream of less wires will reduce noise and increase maximum speeds.

(you can do this with 2 data wires, 1 transmit, 1 receive (Like RS232, aka serial port))
    sata does it with 4.

2 of the wires are a pair, and the other two are a pair.

these pairs are designed so that the 'difference' between their voltages is either a 0 or a 1.

when using differential lines, if electromagnetic noise causes the voltage to go up in a wire, it goes up in both wires. the difference , though, remains the same.

ex. 0v and 5v has a matching difference to 1v and 6v.

So you not only have less noise than ATA, but you have better resistance to noise from the differential encoding.

And, most importantly, your wires become thin and cute.

-scheherazade