1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA SSD -> NVME M.2 = Same speeds?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by BuildeR2, Jul 5, 2018.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Hey Gurus, so I managed to score an M.2 NVME drive earlier today for an amazing $75 and I just got done with Acronis 2017 cloning my current SATA SSD OS drive to the new M.2 drive. Speeds tests right after installing it in the M.2 slot were quite a bit faster than my OS SSD, both since it is a SATA drive and it running the OS.

The clone took about 10 minutes (they are both 500GB drives) and then I went into the UEFI and made sure it is booting from the NVME drive now. Disk Management and several drive testing programs confirm I'm in the OS on the NVME drive, but ASSSD and CrystalDiskMark scores are nearly exactly the same as when my SATA SSD was running the OS.

Is there a certain way you are supposed to migrate an OS from SATA to NVME? Have any of you done this and not seen a speed gain? I was hoping to have Windows feel snappier due to the higher 4k numbers so I'd love to get this fixed or figure out what is going on.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    It's not an issue of migration, most likely the M.2 slot you are using is connected to the sata controller on your motherboard and not to the CPU.

austin865a likes this.
  3. WareTernal

WareTernal Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 380X XXX
    Yeah - sounds like M.2 SATA. The new drive would score higher than a full one, but it doesn't sound like its using PCIe interface.

4. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    First off, thanks for the input. I'm still on Haswell and am using an ASUS Z97-A, so there is only the one M.2 slot. Yes, it is limited to to PCIe Gen2 x2 / 10Gbit which I am perfectly aware of. This new NVME drive is for my next build's OS drive, but I should still be seeing a noteworthy improvement over a SATA SSD.
    It is kind of hidden so y'all may not have seen it, but I hid both drives in hyperlinks in my original post. The one I just bought is a recently released Toshiba M.2 NVME PCIe. Also, as far as I know my motherboard doesn't support SATA M.2 drives just going off of what I saw in the key/teeth of the port. I'm about to make a full backup and try a fresh Windows 10 install to see what that does.

5. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Member Guru

GPU:
    Not sure about the Toshiba software, but the Samsung SATA SSDs have a feature called RAPID mode. When I benched them I found that the SATA drive was outperforming the new NVMe just like you, until I realised it was this rapid mode doing it. It's basically a RAMdrive cache.

What actual speeds are you seeing?
    Have you installed the proper NVMe driver? The windows one is slow af.
    Compatibility layers can be an issue too, not sure if you're using GPT partitions and booting to NVMe natively?

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You need to be a bit more specific.

Can you grab diskinfo and post a screenshot?
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/crystaldiskinfo-download.html

That way we can tell if NVMe 1.2 is activated. Also if it is an OS driver, you'll need to leave it alone for a couple of hours to recover, trim and have all background processes go to IDLE before you run any benchmark.

Gen2 x2 is going to be a massive limiting factor though, but you should see higher than 500 MB/s

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. WareTernal

WareTernal Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 380X XXX
    Is 'Onboard Devices Configuration/PCI Express Slot and M.2 Bandwidth' set to '[M.2 Mode]'?

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
  9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    I haven't even found software that sees this drive. The Toshiba/OCZ Guru software does not pick it up. Also, it wasn't that the SSD was "outperforming" the NVME so to speak, just that the SSD is right near the upper bounds of SATA while the NVME drive after a clone was somehow slower.

Hey Boss Man, thanks for chiming in! I'll have to come back and update later since I'm starting work late today due to all of the 'MURICA fireworks last night. I looked online and could not find a Toshiba equivalant of the Samsung NVME drivers. Honestly I'm thinking it will be less trouble to do a clean install since most of my data is on a secondary drive.

Yes it is. Neither the BIOS/UEFI or Windows can even see the drive until that is turned on.

It does support it as of BIOS revision 2205, and I'm running 2801. Thanks for the link, I'll have to look into that later.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Sorry for leaving y'all hanging for so long, but I've been super busy and in my free time bouncing between Windows 10 installs along with working out LAN issues. This thread can probably be closed or solved, since a clean install of Windows 10 got my ASSSD and CDM speeds up around 750MBps write-850MBps read. Perfect operation in my old Z97 board with a PCIe gen 2 x2 M.2 slot.

Keitosha and Hilbert Hagedoorn like this.