Sapphire X1950 Pro AGP - am i missing something here?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by CoffinDancer=UT, Apr 5, 2007.

1. CoffinDancer=UT

CoffinDancer=UT Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5850@845/1195
    i just received the above card, link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102071

no matter what i try, including uninstalls, Driver Cleaner, ATI Uninstall, etc, i can't get the drivers for this puppy to load properly.

i'm getting the dreaded "setup was unable to complete the installation.
    Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA driver before running setup"...

even though this is supposed to be an AGP vidcard, could this card require a PCI-E capable motherboard to function properly, as opposed to my older A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo?

last night i thought i was was so close i could almost smell some Battlefield 2, but this morning i'm relegated to Free Cell or Solitaire... :-(

i've googled all over and tried various solutions, but so far nothing is working.

"Please, somebody help me!"... :)

thanks,
    CD

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Hmm,

Clear the cmos, make sure the mobo's intergrated display adapter is disable'd (assuming you have one on that board.) Set the agp apeture size to 256mb in the bios, also have the vga/dvi connector plugged into the card (i know it sounds obvious..).

And use these :

• Drivers

3. CoffinDancer=UT

CoffinDancer=UT Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5850@845/1195
    "clear the cmos"?? :)

with this finicky board i know i've had to do that in the past whenever i made hardware changes, but i never thought about doing that for installing a new vidcard...

i will give it a try, though.

i might even try the 7.2 drivers listed on the Sapphire site to see if that makes any difference...

thanks for the suggestion!! :)
    CD

4. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    7.3's are much better than 7.2's.

They fixed serveral problems with games.

5. normshaw

normshaw Member

GPU:
    ATI x1950 Pro 512 AGP
    I have this card and had the same issues. I found that if I uninstall the display drivers then reboot into Safe Mode it will ask for the drivers where in I point it to the drivers I downloaded.

Now, I can install 7.3, 7.2, 7.1 but the one that gave me no problems was 6.12. The others would either give me a black screen, computer restarts, graphic anomolies, or warnings that mom.implementation was not found.

Good luck.

6. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
  7. iako

iako Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 580 LIGHTNING
  8. normshaw

normshaw Member

GPU:
    ATI x1950 Pro 512 AGP
    Well, I had .net 2.0 and 3.0 already installed.

I just found the problem I was having with the 7.x drivers and now I can install them. It wasn't the drivers, it was CCC. There's a known issue of some sort with 7.x CCC and the x1950 Pro. When I installed them I would get the MOM.Implementation file not found problem.

So, I just used the ATI tray tool. This worked great and used less resources but.... I found one program I used that for some reason didn't like the ATI tray tool. Ugh... The game Maple Story, which I've been playing for over 2 years, uses 'gameguard' which is some sort of anti-hacking software. It uses rootkit technology which basically attaches itself to running programs when you start the game.

For some reason when the ATI tray tool was running and I start the game... the game would never fully start and now the running programs, for example my anti-virus program or my weather watcher was now unstable. If I selected them from the tray area, their process would shutdown. No errors, no warnings, nothing placed in any log file. Just disappear. I was back to figuring out how to get some sort of ATI control to work with my hardware. Lo and behold someone in this forum found just what I needed. Apparently ATI knows of the MOM.Implementation issue and has quietly put out a version of 7.3 that is just for x1950 Pro users. =)

To find it you have to go to ATI's download page then in the links go to where it mentions previous drivers. Funny, but 7.3 is listed though it's not previous, it's current. Selecting 7.3 shows you a table of Download Links. Above this table is a statement: "Customers who own an ATI RadeonĀ® X1950 PRO and looking for drivers, please click here." Finally this link takes you to this knowledge page allowing you to download.

http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=23582

I installed the full package and CCC works without error.
    I will miss being able to control the fan speeds at different temps but I'm sure I can find another utility for that.

9. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Glad you got your situation situated.It's good to see resolved problems explained, so the next person can just read, and fix. Thats the cool thing about G3d.:thumbup:

10. CoffinDancer

CoffinDancer Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1950 Pro PCIe 512mb
    wow!! :)

that's great news, but after all i went through to get the 7.3's in there in the first place i'm almost afraid to mess with them again... LOL

the ATITool tray utility - available here at G3D - will give you the ability to control your fan speeds by either fixed override, or based on temp settings...

CD

11. normshaw

normshaw Member

GPU:
    ATI x1950 Pro 512 AGP
    Yes, that's the one I was using that caused problems with Maple Story. So the program I did find that has sort of the same problem but an easy work around was ATI Tool. This program combined with CCC does all the things I need. When I set this one up though and ran Maple Story, the computer rebooted. !!! Reading the documentation showed me there's an option to start ATI Tool at windows startup which setups and installs the settings I've saved previously then exits. Using it this way allows me to have the fan controlled by temperture and not have a program running that would/could interfere with Maple Story.

12. CoffinDancer

CoffinDancer Active Member

GPU:
    ATI X1950 Pro PCIe 512mb
    course, later in the day i can't help but wonder if this new driver set offers any performance improvements!! ?? LOL

CD

13. normshaw

normshaw Member

GPU:
    ATI x1950 Pro 512 AGP
    Currently my 3DMark06 score is 5003, but I'm afraid I haven't been checking what they were at each stage of upgrade.

Other scores are:
    3DMark2001SE - 31801
    3DMark03 - 15951
    AquaMark3 - 91591

14. koFeinas

koFeinas New Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE X1950Pro 512MB AGP
    Hello there, I have the same video card, but a diffrent problem, so didn't wanted to start a new thread, couse this is somekind similar.
    So the problem is that I'm using 32bit Vista now, and my performance with 3D games is far from perfect... Back then when I was using WinXP I was experiencing the same problem with a standart 7.4 catalyst drivers, but after instaling "NGO ATI Optimized Driver v1.7.3" the problems were gone the only bad thing is that NGO ATI Optimized Driver v1.7.3 don't support WinVista (atleast it's not written that it's supports Vista) :biggun: Or does it support Vista?
    Thanks ;)

15. koFeinas

koFeinas New Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE X1950Pro 512MB AGP
    Maybe I can use "XG WarCat 7.3"?

16. normshaw

normshaw Member

GPU:
    ATI x1950 Pro 512 AGP
    Well, now that I'm overclocking my CPU from 2.6 ghz to 3.0 ghz, I'm having issues with ATI Tool which I used to control my fans... so, now I'm using Rivatuner 2.0 and that's working well for me. I created profiles of low, med, high, and extreme that have different fan speeds for each then have the temp trigger the profiles. At idle the temp is about 42c to 45c. When running a 3d game the temp is about 60c.

Unfortunately I can't seem to overclock the video card at all without having problems so I've kept it at the factory settings, 581/702. With the CPU and RAM overclocked however, I'm getting really good results from my benchmarks.

Aquamark = 97000+
    3dMark2001se = 33891
    3dMark03 = 16188
    3dMark05 = 10264
    3dMark06 = 5035

Since this is my living room computer (BeyondTV with Nvidia Dual TV Card), I typically keep the CPU at stock 2.6 ghz because of fan noise.

I'm still using the special 7.3 drivers for this card from ATI that I mentioned in an earlier post.