Sapphire Radeon HD 6990 loud static hiss noise from card

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by somemadcaaant, Mar 17, 2011.

1. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Seahawk Water
    Hi,

Wondering if any1 is experiencing this with their HD6990 - loud hissing static noise tracked to under the power plug side of the card, much much louder then fans at even 50% and only happens in full screen while playing a game; first thing i did was bench it on Crysis Warhead, a few forums and a youtube trailer suggest RMA.

Tried different PCI-E slots, removed sound card, removed all but one Ram dim, cpu at stock settings, different power socket/cable, don't believe it's a PSU issue as references below have higher spec PSU's.

Really can't be used in this condition, way too much noise - the card performs well in tests, stays below 77deg (room temp is 23 deg) and the fan speed noise is not an issue.

Non overclocked, not using the second bios setting.

References:

forums.over clockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18250981
    (remove space from above url)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKWbwjiR7h8

I've sent an RMA form in already and sent a ticket to Sapphire asking if it can be fixed in a a bios update or something else?! Not sure what else to try sides RMA.

Monitor: Asus 26" VK266H / BenQ 21.5
    CPU: i7 920 @ 3.36Ghz temps around 40 deg even when o/c to 4ghz.
    CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P Special Edition SE2
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 F13k
    Ram: G Skill 6G(3x2G) DDR3 PC12800 @ 1600mhz
    Harddrive: 2x Western Digital Black Ed 500G SATAII Raid 0
    Case: CoolerMaster RC-932-KKNI HAF Black Case
    PSU: Corsair HX-850mhz
    Video: Sapphire Radeon HD6990 4GB
    Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro

-smc

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Seahawk Water
    Oops wrong section, page refreshed... can some1 pls move this to the AMD ATI section.

Cheers,

-smc

3. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Sounds like its the caps doing the work or in this case perhaps struggling for reasons unknown. Try bunging the card into a different SKU with a different PSU and see how that fares. Until then ,I would think you are maybe allright for the time being, but keep your RMA ticket close.

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    RMA it now.

5. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Seahawk Water
    Yeah could be a caps bug but most reviews didn't get the squeeling noise from what i can tell, If i don't hear anything about it over the weekend ill hand it in on monday, sux balls.

Just spent the last few hrs playing some bad company, almost got used to the noise... then in between maps reality set in lol.

Wasted potential.

-smc

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I read that the 6990 has overheating issues aswell with the current el cheapo cooler.

7. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080 Ti
    I heard exactly the opposite, that the cooler is doing ok for such a card. But yes, that sounds like caps, and you shouldnt get used to it. That is a wrong reason to keep the card, I know it sux to replace it. But one tip, try buying a mid-performance card for backup use. So you can use youre system if these things happen, its perfect to have a HTPC, before I made my HTPC i was always dependant of that my main system had to work perfectly. Otherwise I had to be without playing games, and all other useful things you can use computers for in times when something broke down. So if you dont have any extra cards, get one. But it sux anyways, I agree, but better RMA it sooner than later.

8. onemoar

onemoar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    noise from the chokes/vrm completely normal not fixable by software ignore it

9. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Card is squealing at him and he should just ignore it?:3eyes:

NO, send it back and get one that doesn't do that.

10. Amorpheus

Amorpheus Member

GPU:
    6960@928/1450
    Don't ignore it. Likely a part of the power supply path of the card is either beyond its limit or broken. Coils can start resonating if they get mechanically loose for some reason, which might have happened during shipping.

11. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Seahawk Water
    @ HaZe303 true yeah luckily I have my old 12 month+ 5850 still to use for the interim, 6 to 8 weeks for RMA?! My god the price drop will be $150 au by then lol.

I definitely don’t believe it’s a cheapo cooler, keeping this card and any new card frankly under 80 deg is impressive by design and I knew I could customize it even further by tweaking the fan speeds.

Thanx guys for the feed back.

-smc

search terms:
    snap crackle pop psu voltage hiss static noise

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  12. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Seahawk Water
    Update for any` experiencing this, definitely an irregular fault with the card and should not be making alternate noises - Sapphire tech emailed back with:

2011-3-18 [10:49]
    Dear Sir
    Suggest you RMA your card ASAP. Return it and ask for new replacement. Also your driver version, it's better use CD driver at moment (11.2). Thanks.
    Regards

13. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Nice one, hope your next card is faultless. Awesome card *drools*:)

14. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Seahawk Water
    Yeah fingers crossed, going with a different brand just to be sure tho i'm sure it's more 'batch' related but who knows.

15. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    +1 for this one.

16. Phatboy69

Phatboy69 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x SLI MSI GTX1080 EK
    Shouldn't be any need to RMA it unless it's REALLLY loud.. Its normal.

I have had 2 x 5870 and a 5970 for between a year and 2 years. They all make that exact same noise when under load, and they have from day 1 with no ill side effects.

My 2 x 4870x2's and Nvidia 8800 Ultras also made that sound.. It's a bit like a high pitched hissing noise.

17. animatrix999

animatrix999 Member

GPU:
    HIS ATI 4870 512Mb GDDR5
    My 4870 also hav dis issue wen playin games for how long i cud remember and d card still runs great.

18. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Read the thread! Tech guy from the manufacturer said 'RMA asap'.

The fact that you've held on two cards that many of us would have RMA'd on day one is irrelevant I'm afraid.

19. TwL

TwL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x5850 2x6950 + 9800GTX
    Ok, I grant it's loud, but then I would keep the card for exactly to the point there's an 3rd party solution out from Sapphire and then RMA it as on that
    point most likely return for the accusation would be way more silent edition and I think AMD bad design and pricing of the hardware would easily justify the action.

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    I would definitely RMA it. Its ok for people on here to say not to RMA it, but they're not the ones who will be disadvantaged if the card stuffs up. The obligations of the companies regarding warranties varies from country to country, but its often the case the consumer does not know their full rights.

In Australia, most people only know of the warranty, they do not know they are entitled to a direct replacement in the case of an RMA, regardless of what the store may try an claim. Better stores will serve this obligation for you, so that can be good.

The warranty is also a bit of a funny thing. If something is cheap and has a 3 year warranty, then you are entitled to that warranty for 3 years. If something is expensive, but only has 2 years warranty, if it stuffs up after 2 years and 2 months, because its within reasonable expectations that the product should last longer due to its price the consumer is actually entitled to have that item fixed free of charge (or replaced) despite it being out of warranty!

The tricky part is the definition of a reasonable expectation, because it varies from product to product. If you buy a cheap, unknown brand 46 inch LED tv for $600, and it has only a 2 year warranty on it, after 2 years 2 months, its probably within reasonable expectation the product won't last because you paid so little for it, and its crap. If you paid $2200 for say, an LG tv, then you are entitled to have that fixed for free even if its a couple of months out of warranty!

Tricky policy, but things like 'no returns, no exceptions' is actually against the law, especially if the product is advertised as being capable of something and its not! or they say 50 percent off RRP, and its really only 2 percent off the proper RRP - Ebay sellers beware! (and it also applies to Ebay sellers in Australia, Ebay actually tells consumers this right).

Now, in terms of your graphics card, because it is a high end component, its within reasonable expectations that it should operate correctly. Having a loud noise coming from it which is out of design specs (which this clearly is) is definitely not acceptable, and you should be entitled to a direct replacement from the place you bought it without having to wait a month or more to get a new one back.

Of course, check with your countries laws and obligations, because these do vary from country to country.

In any case, a loud electrical noise like that could be interpreted as something that could cause other system component damage. Imagine the 8-pin connector power shorting with the slot? or an electrical fire starting from a faulty component (can happen).

Just because the noise is something that does happen from time to time, it doesn't mean its normal, and why take the risk? definitely RMA it ASAP before you run the risk of damage to other system components. Besides, if have the card smells burnt and is charred, they may not be so willing to RMA it :)