Sapphire Radeon HD 2600 unstable problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by equex, May 29, 2009.

1. equex

equex New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 2600 HD
    Hi, I have two cards (Sapphire Radeon HD 2600) in Crossfire on a MSI K9A2+ Platinum board. Regularly, the card(s) will fail and display artifacts across the screen. The artifacts are repeating across horizontally and multicolored. I can still move the mouse pointer, but cannot click anything until the Catalyst Driver Recovery kicks in and I can continue working. But it is really annoying and under Linux, there is no VPU recovery. I tried removing one card, tried swapping them etc. I can post pictures if you need.

What is the reason for this ? I have nothing overclocked, and pretty much everything is default in the OS'es.

2. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    I take it everything inside your PC is cool and clean? What sort of temperatures do you get with your 2600s?

3. equex

equex New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 2600 HD
    Yes, and it has been like this from when i bought it. On full blast, the highest temp I've seen was around 65-66 degrees (master card, the slave card held nearly 50 degs) which is pretty high, right ?

The rest of the system holds around 30-40 degs. Both fans are working still. But the strange thing is that it has almost never crashed during gameplay. In fact, most of the crashes has occured when not doing much at all.

In fact, at first I was thinking it was the Flash-plugin for FireFox, because it actually happens a lot when I use the web browser (but thats where i spend most of the time anyway). But then I noticed it was happening whenever, like when editing text :)

I also tried underclocking the GPU's to 600Mhz (they are factory overclocked at 700Mhz). I've been running these card on the latest drivers both in Windows and Linux, always. (Now, 9.5)

I may be able to return the cards, but I'm not even 100% sure it's the cards ? Could just be that those cards don't play well with the mainboard ?

But I was hoping maybe someone could help me work around the problem instead :)

Last edited: May 30, 2009