Sapphire R9 390 artefacts

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by marashz, Nov 8, 2015.

1. marashz

marashz Member

GPU:
    Evga XC3 3080
    Hello. So, I bought new Sapphire R9 390 with backplate (slightly more factory OC'ed than non backplate version). First thing I saw was full screen of artefacts, then was Bios window and everything later was fine. Later few times I saw some artefacts in Assetto Corsa and once on desktop after pc sleep.
    My PC is old, Intel i5-750, Gigabyte P55A-UD3, but PSU (Seasonic X-760) and RAM are not so old. Also I still have Asus GTX660, which works flawless.
    PS. I have tried BIOS button on Sapphire, nothing changed.

http://imgur.com/a/eW3B7

First question, are artefacts on boot (before bios) normal or it's because of faulty gpu? Any way to test 8GB vRAM?

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    did u format? oh and tbh u need a new cpu and mobo and ram

3. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Member Guru

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    When I switch output from hd7870 (pci-e slot #1) to r7-240(pci-e slot #2), I dont even see the bios(when windows boot, desktop becomes visible). Maybe motherboard has some issues too. There are some msi kombustor vram burner benchmarks. Maybe I could write a vram thrasher (optimized for gcn) program, but it could make vram explode if there is overclock.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  4. Nurmi

Nurmi Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury Tri-X
    Just throwing is one like its magical answer for everything, but try updating mobo BIOS just by using USB stick instead of using Windows tool to flash it.
    Something I used to fix blackscreen no signal as I've always just used Windows thingy for flashing.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    Not normal and may indeed be caused by a faulty gpu. Try flashing both your mobo BIOS and gpu BIOS to newest versions like said.
    Use motherboards flash function for system BIOS and atiflash for graphics card (create a bootable USB stick).

If neither helps, I'd say just RMA the card.

Nonsense. No need to format after switching graphics cards and the system's fine. At least in the sense it isn't the cause of the issue and OP should be able to enjoy 390 with it for starters.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  6. oGow89

oGow89 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX 5700xt
    Card is faulty, just do RMA. And as someone already mentioned, consider upgrading your cpu, otherwise you are not getting the most out of your gpu specially in newer games. Those artefacts are an indication that the card is clock'd higher than it can handle with low voltage. You can increase the voltage to make the card more stable but keep in mind the you won't have much of overclocking headroom, which is actually why we build our own rigs.

7. vancook

vancook Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8 GB
    I have a r9 390 and have problems with a couple of games nose if they are artifacts or not? other games work fine me

call of duty black ops 3 + motion blur " always on"

http://imgur.com/PYUkmZR

Problem card? drivers "15.11 b " or game have texture bugs?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  8. marashz

marashz Member

GPU:
    Evga XC3 3080
    I will try reflashing both bios'es, but now I'm too busy :(
    Anyway, not having any artefacts in games atm (but still, no time to play games), only that one on boot. Sadly, nearest friend with desktop pc is over 100miles away, so can't test gpu with newer components.
    PS. i5-750 @ 3.3GHz, never had 100% cpu usage in games. FarCry 4, Guild Wars 2, Fallout 4, Armored Warfare.., in most games cpu usage is about 60-80%, only in Armored Warfare I have constant 80-90%. So, I will wait for nVidia Pascal and then (maybe) I will upgrade whole PC ;)

9. tufur

tufur New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire/5670/512
    I haven't seen that since I owned an Apple 2. I would sent it back after doing my due diligence to correct any other machine problems and calling tech support. You really want to use the card and not waste time RTMing it back. That is defiantly a card bios problem that can be caused by poor electrical juice to the card. It could be your house wiring glitching and this is your first indication. On the otherhand, I may be watching too many British council house renovation TV shows.

It is always best to list your machine and components.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  10. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    the card is most definitely going bad and just a matter of time it stays that way...rma it

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Yup, I'd say the card isn't getting enough voltage until the driver kicks in.
    If its brand new, RMA it.

Your CPU and RAM are probably just fine for the moment.
    A good quad is all you need, and 8Gb of RAM is plenty.

@Tugrul : Its normal you don't see the Bios screen on the second card, since you would have to specify in the Mobo Bios which card is primary, and usually its Integrated or PCIe, and since you already have a card in the first PCIe slot, it will only show the monitor on the 2nd card when it gets to load the driver, just as windows finishes booting.

12. nedooo`

nedooo` Member

GPU:
    GTX970 G1
    Card is not getting enough voltage gives artifacts??? You base this on what???
    Only case scenario of getting artifacts trough history of GPU usage and overclocking...was bad VRAM (clock, heat quality) and shaders...
    Heat produced by GPU core can cause artifacts but indirectly, as far as I know.
    If you have any proofs, it would be appreciated...
    I come from 7970 MATRIX P, and that premium hand picked...blah blah blah was artifacting due no heatsinks on vram and factory OC that was too much...
    Now I consider to buy G1 GTX 970 or Nitro 390, but on first sight of artefacts 390 eats the dust in my case...

13. TDurden

TDurden Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    It's definitely something to look into.
    Try a different display connector if you have cable and see if artifacts before boot screen still appear.
    I have R9 390 Nitro w backplate and no artifacts here, so I'm not sure it's normal for this card. You should try it in different PC tough.
    Also try updating and resetting you motherboard BIOS. Try removing all other cards and/or old IDE drives if you have them and try again.
    Not sure reflashing GPU BIOS would work, updating - maybe.
    Also try disabling unnecessary onboard devices in BIOS: Marvell SATA, iTE IDE and floppy

14. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I had the exact same thing last weekend, fitting an old 4890 in an am3 board. While the slower 4670 works flawless I wanted the person that owns this pc to have my old card that isn't used anymore. Straight in bios I already noticed coloured dots, in windows 7 it appeared to be gone. but some reboots later they were also in windows desktop.
    The card is old and overused in several pc's so nothing to complain about, but it's faulty alright.
    So RMA your card, it's broken.

15. lexer98

lexer98 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    That card is ****ed up, send it to RMA .... You don't need to test anything else.
    Also if you don't have the money to upgrade your platform, at least overclock that 750 to 4.4 / 4.5Ghz to get the most juice of that GPU

16. brucer

brucer Member

GPU:
    soon 2 be Sapphire Fury
    my r9-290 was getting artifacts and stuff with the new 16.2 drivers.. I had to increase the power limit and it went away... Also try increasing your fan speed while your there.