Sapphire HD6950 2GB GDDR5 Dirt3 Edition POOR BANCHMARKS

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by RobiX85, Dec 30, 2011.

1. RobiX85

RobiX85 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950 2GB GDDR5
    Hello ppl, I have made some benching to my card, and I was amazed with the poor results. (Used Unigine) 20 FPS MIN, 54 FPS MAX, SCORES:590
    Basically the games run good, I get 30-40 FPS in Battlefield 3, but yet it is still disapointing, and maybe I am missing something that I don't know.

Please if one of you guys can recommend me something else, or maybe go to CrossfireX, I will be glad for any reasonable answer...

Card driver is: 12.1 preview
    My PC Specs:
    intel i7 2600K 3.4 Ghz @4.3 Ghz.
    G.Skill ripjaws 1600Mhz 8GB ddr3.
    Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit service pack 1.
    Sapphire HD6950 2GB GDDR5 Dirt3 Edition.
    Antec 900W
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-B3

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  2. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    i had same problem after switching from nvidia to ati, doesnt matter what i did the fps was low, at last i reinstall and the fps was normal again.

3. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    What are your ingame settings?

4. RobiX85

RobiX85 Member

GPU:
    The settings are on Ultra settings, with a high-end PC I shouldn't miser the settings, don't you think so? that's is why I am so disapointed with the results, the HD6950 stock, isn't the storngest card on the market, but at least the games should work between 40-60 FPS on extreme settings.

do you have any suggestions about how can I get the desired results?
    thank you for your concern.

5. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    Unfortunately both sides (nVidia and AMD) take a hit with their current cards when you bump up AA on BF3 under single GPU environment but if you turn off AA completely you practically wont notice any difference visually (okay maybe less jagged lines) at the same time gain a boost in fps.

[​IMG]

As you can see I turned off MSAA, put AA Post on High and AF on 16x. With this I get solid fps, get about 40min/60max (vsync) and average of 50-55+ avg fps in caspian border.

Other things you can try is unlocking the shaders on your video card. If you have the Dirt3 edition you have a chance to unlock the shaders from 1408 to 1536 by just flipping the bios switch on your video card. YMMV because not all 6950s unlock but there is a good chance. Another thing you may consider is overclocking to see if you can do 880/1375 clocks on stock voltage (these are the same clocks as a 6970 stock). The reference 6950s ran at 1.0-1.1v and some can OC that high without needing to change voltage but as like before not every card is the same so it may perform differently.

So you can try:
    Changing BF3 settings to AA off, AA Post High/AF 16x. (If you want you can set it to high and its not that much different either to Ultra settings).

Try to unlock/overclock video card. Click [here] for the switch location.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  6. RobiX85

RobiX85 Member

GPU:
    I know about the switch, I tried it by myself, but nothing happened, so it is useless...
    I left all the settings on and on ultra, but changed the resolution to 1600:900 and the game runs between 40-60 (vsync on), there are some stages that the BF3 works solid 60 (mostly in death matches).

do you recommend to upgrade to CrossfireX? or stay with my card, and wait for the HD7000 series?

7. RobiX85

RobiX85 Member

GPU:
    and another question, is there another tool to OC the card? I am using the Trixx by Sapphire.

8. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    I used to use Trixx but nowdays I use MSI Afterburner.

I would wait for the new cards. This is a transitional period where many people are selling their older cards which you "could" buy a second card for crossfire for cheaper but most of the time you'd have to deal with driver issues and whatnot but from the benchmarks it seems that the 7000 series will be able to run BF3 more fluidly on a single gpu. With that in mind you could opt for just a 7970 rather than two 6950s. On the other hand while crossfire does run with most games, there are times when/if a game doesnt support cfx then you'd have to wait for driver support/fixes and from the past year they haven't been up to par with that (late releases etc..).

As for cfx its really a toss up, for others it works fine, for others its a headache and most of the time it depends on the game and if the drivers fully support it or end up disabling one gpu.

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti Strix H20
    A 6950 is definitely not enough for BF3.. for 60 fps you would need a heavily OCed GTX 580.. No single stock cards can run BF3 maxed out with 60 FPS besides a heavily oced 580