Sapphire HD3850 woes. =(

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by smoke_, Oct 19, 2008.

1. smoke_

smoke_ Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    Ever since I purchased my HD3850...I've been having problems with its consistency in perfoming...especially in the gaming aspect. I recently just upgraded my entire computer. I was using the HD3850 AGP on my Asus P4P800 with my P4 @ 2.8ghz, but then I realized the huge bottleneck between a single core CPU and a high end video card.

Nevertheless I decided to find some parts on ebay and now I have the current set up in my details. Now to the problem. Whenever I play a game.. at random it could be from 20 minutes or even an hour. My monitor goes black, and the game sounds loop in my headphones.. and I get the message on my screen. "NO INPUT DEVICE on DVI-D" "GOING TO POWERSAVE" and while this is going on I hear the sounds of the game looping continuously. After about 5 seconds I see ATI's VPU recovery pop-up which brings my monitor back to my desktop. But even at times VPU recovery doesn't pop-up which prompts me to restart my computer.

Im not sure whether this is a driver related error or it has something to do with my monitor/cable (which I recently have been speculating lol).

My current drivers are the Catalyst 8.9 hotfix ones. They work amazing and my fps in games are amazing..but I can't play it for a long time due to this error.

My monitor is the SONY XDM-X73.. which has DVI-D(single link) output on it. My HD3850 has DVI-I (dual link) output. I was wondering if this might be the issue which sends my monitor to the black screen of death with looping sounds. I've done multiple reinstallations and clean installs and everything. BTW my current rig I just built yesterday so everything is clean and new but this error is persistent.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    yeah 2.8 was too slow

Asus A8V is based on the VIA K8T800.. BOOM BAM BOOM, (it has AGP bugs)
    ASUS is pretty good with BIOS's maybe see if you have the latest one.

If you search here you will find our posts about it... or just google
    or just get another board (probably easier).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  3. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    GPU temps are my first concern there. As well as any OCing you've done, set it back.

4. jmd88

jmd88 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4850 512MB
    I experienced the exact same problem with my HD3850 when I first installed it. It is usually caused by overheating; in my case I simply had to move my GPU slot cooler farther away from the card. In a well cooled case, it should idle at around 38-40 celsius and go up to around 60-65 under heavy load. If your temps are normal or will not go down (provided you have good airflow/cooling in your case), that may indicate a defective card.

5. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
  6. smoke_

smoke_ Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    Well my setup seems to be pretty cool at the moment even with the overclocking. Im using CPU-Z and GPU-Z and Asus PC-probe to monitor my temperatures and here the readings as follows:

CPU Temp: 34C(idle)
    Mobo Temp: 20C
    GPU Temp: 42C(idle)

But I noticed through GPU-Z that the fan speed is only @ 19%.. is that right?

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    have you changed your power options? In vista I know you can set your power perf mode to maximum.

change to high perf and check theres no kick in sleep mode or something.

i could be way off but its an idea.

8. smoke_

smoke_ Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    Well my power options seem fine. My GPU on load is around 57 to 60C on full load. I don't think that's too hot. My case has 6 120mm fans on it. Therefore I think there is enough ventilation. I was just playing Assassin's Creed and it just froze which gave me the same error but with no VPU recovery so I just hard to reboot it to get back to my desktop. This is really annoying now lol.

9. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    i have an asus a8v too with 229 bios version and no problem and a SENTEY 500 PSU and works fine, and set to off fast write option, everything on windows xp sp3 with all the updates to date

cya and good luck

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  10. Spathi

Spathi Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX980 V2
    I read a few of the search hits, the problem is probably the chipset BIOS and the AMD GART probably is not properly supported by ATI and NVidea... A few people said fast writes off like marcosamerio said and a newer BIOS and drivers worked.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302902

11. cheehong

cheehong Member

GPU:
    ati/3850/512
    UPDATE YOUR BIOS,and speed your videocard fan to cooldown your temp

12. smoke_

smoke_ Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    Ok well sorta good news. I updated my mobo bios to the final 0229. I noticed that my startup time is a bit slower due to this new bios but that's ok. I also have the lastest AGP hotfix drivers which are the Catalyst 8.9 drivers. I tryed to see if everything worked by playing Tomb Raider Legend max details for around 30 minutes. I recieved no error. I tried Team Fortress 2 for about 10 minutes and I get the same "NO INPUT SIGNAL on DVI-D" "GOING TO POWERSAVE" however I did manage to exit the game while my monitor was black and my display came back. That is so weird! Hmm.. what more can I do to troubleshoot this annoying problem.

13. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    hi

what operating system are you using? the problem is not your mobo it the game are you playing or problem of driver,
    because if it cause the motherboard the problem never boot or work properly
    the videocard and you are saying that you can play some game fine and others no
    other tip
    -you install the video card correctly to the motherboard?the molex cable is conected correctly?
    -try to do format and reinstall you os
    -try to install newer drivers the 8.10 is out
    -try more games and see what happend

cya and good luck

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  14. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    I had the same issue. It was my power supply. When i upgraded, my monitor stopped shutting off mid-game.

15. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Seems like the video card is shutting off signal to the monitor when your enter certain games. I'd try new drivers, more games, and maybe even a new monitor.

16. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    i agree there and tell you again the problem is not your videocard, try more games, turn off fast writes, put agp to auto or 8x on the options of the mobo, the voltage of the agp port to 1.6, updates to the latest via hyperion chipset driver, and put another monitor if you have like another LCD or CRT

cya and good luck

17. smoke_

smoke_ Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    Hm.. well I've read all the posts so far. And these are the things I've accomplished/did already. I upped the voltage on my card from 1.5---> 1.6. I took the time to rebuild my entire mobo. Removed all parts and made sure they were firmly places in their slots. Reconnected all power/molex connections. I also applied a fresh coat of thermal paste on my HSF and tightened the screws on the base because I noticed this whining noise that my CPU was giving off so now thats gone!

I uninstalled 8.9 drivers and installed 8.10 drivers. Fast write is off and I've tryed my set of games and here are the results. I can play games for a way longer period of time and everything seems alot more stable. After about 45+ minutes of playing I still recieved the same error.

Im now wondering if its my PSU because my case is the NZXT tempest which powers 6 120mm fans. I think because my PSU has to power 6 fans including my dual core cpu and my video card that puts alot of stress on my HD 3850. So I might think its my PSU that's giving me the problems. I've tried everything I could.

18. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    I highly doubt its your PSU and that you should still try other combination of things.

19. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    It's wouldnt be a wattage issue, but an amperage issue. If you dont have enough amps on the 12v rail that going to your graphics card, when the gpu is under load, the screen will sleep and not wake until reboot..i had this happen to 3 pcs that I had in the past. It is something to consider.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  20. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Guest

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Yea I guess if the PSU was faulty from the start. But that quality of a PSU is certainly enough for that and more. And certainly has enough amperage.