Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nisbne

nisbne New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd 7870 hd
    hey all, well ive just built a new pc with one of these cards and am currently having the same issues, really regretting getting this card only grabbed it because they were out of gtx 570. is this issue something that will be fixed in upcoming drivers? or am i better at getting a new nvidia card ? having to restart pc all the time or restart the game is really annoying on a 2 week old pc

thanks

2. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    probably just a coincidence, AMD has admitted that there is a problem with their drivers that is causing this issue.

AMD hasn't given a specific time frame for when this will be fixed. they maintain that they are "working on it" but they just released their latest driver not long ago and it didn't fix the problem. i am guessing that it will be at least another month or two before they put out 12.9 and of course there is no guarantee that the problem will be fixed then either. if i were you i would return/exchange the card to your vendor while you still can.

the 7950 is a good deal right now, the price has dropped down to what i paid for my 7870 two months ago and, as far as i know, it isn't having the same issue. still, i am so pissed at AMD right now that i won't be giving them any more money for a while. going with Nvidia is going to leave you with a tough choice though because the 670 is almost twice as much as the 560 but in my book one of them would be the best substitute. if you are running a resolution less than 2560x1600 and don't plan to get there any time soon, you should be completely satisfied with a 560 Ti.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  3. vladamir

vladamir Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    From the AMD forums:
    "One last thing that comes to my mind is to disable AMD Optimized Tesselation and this surface format optimization in CCC 3D game settings. That caused a few hickups and fps stuttering while zooming in BF3 for me.
    This tends to occure mostly on mainboards with onboard realtek soundchips.
    Update your realtek drivers to the latest provided by Asus, not the realtek generic ones and set your sound output format to the lowest setting (16 bit 44khz). If that doesn't help you could try disabling your soundcard in bios and see if you crash, if not you know you need a new soundcard -.-"

I'm giving this a try as I've seen on another forum where disabling the realtek adapter fixed this issue for someone who was using the HDMI connection (and left the person without any sound). Didn't get a crash in D3 last night using the official 12.8 drivers with this in place be you all know that doesn't mean its fixed :bang:

4. rievhardt

rievhardt Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    Q: has anyone tried if using a separate sound card (non-realtek) or headset w/ built in sound card really fix this black screen issue?

5. RecluSe

RecluSe Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    I can go a week or two sometimes without a single crash, then BANG! four crashes in one night. As it's been about 2 months now with no real word of a fix i'll be geting a 670 next week. Hopefully I get a better experience.

6. Cendrier

Cendrier New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 OC Edition
    I was doing some furmark tests on my 7870 with fan 100% and was watching the results on GPU-Z noticed the VRM Temp sometimes would spike for a sec at 127C and even 255C.... Now I did some research and The VRM is rated to take more then the core but that appears to be quite high. Now just to clarify my VRM temp average 61C but these 1 milisecond spikes appear all over during test. I'm wondering if other people here are getting comparable results. From what I read the VRM temp shouldnt spike like that. And If its a false reading may cause the video card to shutdown to protect itself... Especially at 255C... Now my system did not react during any test and my issue only occurs in game.

Let me know

Edit: I've also submitted this info to Sapphire support and they will get back to me once they review the data.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  7. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    wow, if they pulled that on me i think my head would explode. i am assuming you told them that this problem only happens while gaming. if they don't test it by playing a newer game for a while and in a system with your chipset then they are wasting their time and yours. i can't believe they mentioned nothing about testing it until after you sent it back. hopefully they sent you an email saying that you would get store credit without mentioning any testing, if so you could try and throw that in their face when they send your card back. also ask them what Ati said when they contacted them about the problem (even though they probably didn't bother). if all else fails make sure you let them know that you will never be doing business with them again and you will tell anyone who you talk to about them not to either.

on a side note, has anyone else noticed that the price of this card has fallen off a cliff in the past 90 days? it is $100 US cheaper now than it was when i bought mine in May. i wonder if that has anything to do with our problem.

8. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    prices are always falling when competing products come out... they were standing still for the first half year when there was no competition, or when 5870 was ruling

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/23447

now that's an interesting thing to note

i've seen very rare spikes in the past, but it does somewhat make sense for them to trigger a shut down

9. Cendrier

Cendrier New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 OC Edition
    I've tried to make further progress on the VRM temperature spikes but unfortunately gpuz doesn't write those temps to a log.... I'm trying to find a different application that monitors the VRM temperatures and can write a log while a play a game to match both the spike and crash hopefully....

I attached my visual log of the original test I did with furmark so you can see what I mean by the spikes...

[​IMG]

I temperature issue makes sense due to the type of emergency crash/lockup. And if there is a sensor on the card to detect heat it should have a point that says stop.

Now for the head hitting the wall for fun... :bang:

Correction I just figured out my mistake with GPUz... Its capturing those temps to a log... Now to test

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  10. Genesis

Genesis Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    It would also explain the 100% fan that many are experiencing during these crashes. This would probably be an issue with the cards BIOS then, which can never be fixed by drivers?

11. defcoms

defcoms Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Depending on the type of sensor and how their software/hardware is configured. If they at using a type of thermal/RTD then a spike like that could be from a open circuit or voltage being applied to the sensor.

I work with thermal couples and RTD's a lot on turbine engines. Depending on how the software/hardware is setup for fail safe conditions thermal couples/RTD either fail high or low depending on the process and what the engineers need to happen on a device failure to protect the equipment.

I am not saying this is a hardware failure it could be as simple as software not receiving data in a specified time and displaying the max scaling value of the measured device.

Either way nice find I never noticed that I will keep a eye on this and report my findings as well.

12. 2hertz

2hertz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 7870 twin frozr oc
    Hi guys, im new here.Actualy same problem got me here.After hours and hours browsing over internet i find that alot of peps have problem with 7870 card.(no matter what manufacturer or model)
    i tryd everything from clean install to undercloacking , different drivers, flashing bios on my mobo.....and i got tierd , same thing every time.So now i play BF3 Black edition with looping sound extra :p.I will give them back this card and ask to replace it for 660ti or maby 670.I just got tierd of this nonsence

13. rievhardt

rievhardt Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870
    I dont think that the readings are really 100% accurate...even the 12v has spikes on readings...

BTW has anyone tried if using a separate sound card (non-realtek) or headset w/ built in sound card really fix this black screen issue?

14. Genesis

Genesis Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    I am using the integrated soundcard of my logitech g930 headset, doesn't help. I have been crash free for a bit over a day now though, which is unusual. I deactivated AMD optimized tessalation and any other sound device, including AMDs.

15. 2hertz

2hertz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 7870 twin frozr oc
    hi huys im back again.
    I was about to go to change card for some nvidia card,but i tryd few more things before going straingt away.And guess what no problems for now....will see later.
    I uninstalled firefox! and reinstaled amd drivers again 12.8.
    But i didnt OC the card yet.I didnt even enable Overdrive in Catalist control center.
    So far so good but i want to oc it ofcourse!ill try later to see what happends.

16. Anevris

Anevris New Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 7870
    Hi guyes,

I made a video showing the crash. I believe that if we share this video and if a lot of people get aware of this situation, AMD will have to react in order not to loose their marketshare...
    Warning, the sound minght be a little high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJG3NIOK-70&feature=youtu.be

I tried a lot of things to solve this :
    - Disable Realtek Chipset
    - Try various Driver version
    - Uninstall Firefox (Yeah...)

Nothing worked.

Moreover, here is my rig :

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 O/C EDITION
    Intel i7 920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Corsair PC 12800 3*4Go
    SSD Corsair for the game and the OS
    Power 850W
    Windows 7 64

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  17. defcoms

defcoms Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
  18. alexstail666

alexstail666 New Member

GPU:
    HD7870 Sapphire
    I use the built-in motherboard sound card from the company "VIA" on chip "VIA VT2021" and I have the same problem as everyone. True, this problem occurs only in the game Call of duty modern warfare 3.
    So I think that it's not the sound card (((

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  19. 2hertz

2hertz New Member

GPU:
    MSI 7870 twin frozr oc
    well my fix with firefox unninstall short lived, it happend again i also tryd to disable mobos audio, i used logitech usb headset and same thing again.
    On my comp. is liltle bit diferent , when it freeze theres buzzing sound sometimes, but black screen always.And monitor indicator led switch from blue to yellow,like its turned off.
    Defcoms, u at least have frozen picture at the end :p

20. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I have a suggestion guys, can you downclock the video memory? I know it s not the best solution by any means. Please give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.