Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zahlokhnir

Zahlokhnir Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7870 OC
    I just crashed now, I did have Firefox open. I'm going to put it to the test, I wonder if Chrome will work fine.

2. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    are the profile reports about your CPUs up to date? that is basically the only thing i haven't replaced without fixing the problem. i have an athlon II x3 445 that is unlocked to a phenom II x4. i have kept the same HDD i had when the problem started also but i don't see how that could be the issue.

which drivers have you all tried? i had the same problem with 12.6 as i had with 12.4 but installing 12.7 doesn't seem to work. CCC still shows that i have 12.6.

3. biohazardz181

biohazardz181 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    Possible fix to 7870 Black screen and sound loop problem.

Hi Guys,

I am a first time poster here in 3d Guru, long time stalker :p.... love the reviews and have read on so many issues which were solved on the forums... I thought it would be a good time to give back to the community which helped me for so many years...

I recently planned on building a new rig cause I moved into a new apartment and only had a laptop which could not fulfill my gaming needs. I am a student so my PC was not the best of the best but preety good for a student. So I faced some troubles in my build, the first being a defective mobo and then the infamous 7870 problem. I searched the internet for the last two days , trying to find a solution to the problem , at the same time I did not want to RMA (didnt have the original package). However I cam across a forum which tried to fix the problem but the explanation was not so good and did not relate to the 12.7 beta driver which I think every 7870 user has installed. So let me give you the steps for this fix and I hope it works, so far I havent had any crashes playing Diablo 3, BF3, Killing floor 2 , all on maximum settings.

Okay so two things are causing the crashes:
    1. 2d clocks ( I guess this is the clocks of your gfx card wen ur in the desktop and not running any games)
    2. ULPS ( don' know if helped me but just in case)

Steps to increase 2D clocks:

1. Go to CCC and enable over drive.
    2. Put your fan speed up to 100% (just to be careful :) ) and the Power slider to +5% (just in case )
    3. Now close CCC. Open up task manager.
    4. Go to the Process Tab and delete CCC.exe and MOM.exe and any other process related to CCC or ATI
    5. Make sure you can see hidden files and go to the following directory, C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\profiles.xml and open it using notepad
    6. Look for :
    name="CoreClockTarget....."
    <Property name="Want_0" value="x0000" /> (x0000 is your idle-state core clock. Change the value to the one's in "Want_1")

name="MemoryClockTarget....."
    <Property name="Want_0" value="y0000" /> (y0000 is your idle-state memory clock. Change the value to the one's in "Want_1")

I don't exactly remember but there should be a property related to the voltage make sure that is also the same value as "Want_1" corresponding to the property.

7. Click save in note pad.

8. Open CCC.

9. Using GPU_Z or similar software see the current clocks of your memory and core, it should be at the maximum level.

Now try playing a game or running a program which causes the black screen it should not take place....
    If it is try disabling ULPS by downloading this exe from this website...

http://ulps.achromaticcomputing.com/

Restart your computer and see if everything is working alright...

So from mhy understanding, your 7870 when playing games sometimes downclocks to the 2D clocks (which u just changed) this results in the game freezing due the sudden loss of processing power. I am not so tech related so I might be wrong but this fixed worked for me so far, I will post if anything comes up later on. And if it works please post a reply so we can give this fix to other users who face similar problems.

4. biohazardz181

biohazardz181 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    Oh and then experiment it with abit so that you can reduce the fan speed and idle clocks...

5. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Member

GPU:
    thanks for the detailed rundown. i will give it a try the next time i get the crash. i will also talk to the guys at sapphire tech support about it if it turns out to work. how long have you gone now without the crash?

P.S. this is the number for US sapphire tech support: 909-594-2830

it was very tricky for me to find, i got the impression that it is a very small department. the first time i called i could only speak to a secretary who said that all of the support staff were in a meeting.

6. biohazardz181

biohazardz181 Member

GPU:
    XFX 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
    Well whole last night there was no crash, also I was stuck in a certain part of Diablo 3 which recreated the crash, but after the fix I was able to complete the level without a crash, After i get back home I am going to play the games which frequently crash and hope that the fix is solid. btw I have an XFX card and the tech support has'nt contacted me in a day, just sad to see such customer service... Also what applications do u use that cause the crash ?

7. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Hmmz i thought firefox was causing the trouble but after 10 days the problem is back :(

8. vladamir

vladamir Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    Well, I registered hoping to thank biohazard for fixing my headaches with this card, but last night I had 2 more black screens. I confirmed with gpuz that the card is static clocked, but somehow its still unstable. Unfortunately, I'm running a single card setup so the ULPS fix didn't find a reg key. Biohazard (or anyone really), what are the final clock speeds that you have locked in if you havn't gotten a crash yet since using your fix? Also, where did you find this information to begin with? I'm interested to see if there have been any new posts since the one you found.

9. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Member

GPU:
    i have gotten the crash while playing star wars, skyrim, diablo 3, max payne 3 and battlefield 3. this suggest that it is an issue with load but the problem is not predictable at all. there are no specific instances where it will always a crash like a certain mission or moving through a certain area. i can't say for sure but when i play older games it seems to happen less. it is hard to say because the crash is so random and i don't play the older games much.

also, how can i be sure that i'm running the new beta drivers. i download and run the 12.7 exe but my CCC still shows that i still have 12.6

10. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    Probably have alot of entries left in windows that CCC uninstaller doesn't delete.

Try AtiMan after regular delete.
    Worked here and don't usually use uninstallers.

Later:)

11. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    This used to happen to me playing Skyrim all the damn time. I almost quit playing it because of it. I fixed it though and I laugh at what fixed it but I swear it works. I installed a utlity called "Game Booster 3". I ran it. I let it do its automatic tweaks. I added SKSE/Skyrim to the game launcher window. Selected Skyrim and clicked Boost and Launch. What it does is shuts down process's you computer doesnt need while game and also puts it in performance mode among other things.. I played for 2 hours with no crashing and I thought "no way this is stopping my lock ups".. So I ran Skyrim with out it and it crashed in a matter of minutes. I ran Game Booster again and it ran fine.. Its now been over a month running this with my games and I havent had one single crash. Oh and I get smoother game play now when using it. Give it a try it just might work for you too. http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

12. mustii

mustii New Member

GPU:
    AMD Saphhire 7870

I was running on catalyst 12.4 and i never got this problem i did sometimes just get black screen for 2-3 seconds then it comes back on, then 2 days ago i updated catalyst to 12.6 and now i am having this problem it stays black/navy and stays that way, i tried to go back 12.4 same problem, anyone got any idea of this and why this is happening, this is getting really frustrating.

my gpu is not more than 2-3 months old.. I dont understand why this is happening, I have the Sapphire 7870

13. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    Running a Sappire 7970 OC and starting to have this problem as to Black
    screen and sound loop.

Does not happen in gaming or Benching.

Only 2D, Surfing certain sites, ect, (So Far)??
    Have tried declocking GPU & CPU Which was stable to begin with and still
    have the occasional problem anyway.

Have been watching this thread because of it, And even posted here once on driver removal.

Sure hope this is a setting or driver issue instead of the card as really like the card, But not with this going on.

Will monitor this thread as to cures.
    Running 12.7s from 12.4s.

No issues like this from previous 5770s CF.

Thanks

14. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

sapphire 7870 her and black screen in diablo 3 all time i have try crysis 2 battlefield 3 skyrim .. and the same issue black screen and sound loop , this probleme happend only when i play games !!!

15. TheBaller23

TheBaller23 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte AMD 7870OC XFIRE
    I have the Gigabyte 7870 OC and i crash within 15 mins in BF3 multiplayer.. No black screen but the game hangs and the sound loop starts.. I tried GameBooster as well but the problem persists.. I'm damn sure this ain't a hardware problem, just some misfits with the driver because the 7870 is an amazing card and I don't wanna give up on it..

16. vladamir

vladamir Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    Well, I had been running crash free for three days of TSW after declocking my core and memory from 1050/1250 (stock) to 1000/1200 with 5% overvoltage, but just had another crash last night. After being a longtime Nvidia fanboy and finally taking a chance on a AMD card, this totally random instability has me feeling like a fool for trying. This card will be my first and last AMD purchase. I've read on the sapphire forums that a guy with the OC version declocked his card to 998/1200 and got stability; I guess I'll try that for a few days and see if its the magic number.

17. vladamir

vladamir Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    I've also read in various places (tom's hardware has quite a few) that this issue has been caused by flash in firefox. If you are using firefox as your browser (or even have it open in the backgroup), I'd recommend that you close it and use one of the other browsers until this issue gets fixed.

18. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    No Firefox here.

Either the card or the drivers.

If it wasn't for Water cooling setup here, Tempted to put my old 5770 CF setup back in and test.
    To much hassle.

19. defcoms

defcoms Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Some of the 7970's are having issues with the new 12.6/7 drivers. They added some stuff into the drivers for the 7970 ghz edition for the turbo boost, and the regular 7970's are have issues with them. The issue is a driver/bios issue for the 7970's. I flashed my cards to the Ghz edition bios and all these problems went away.

Some info here and http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=365632.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  20. TheBaller23

TheBaller23 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte AMD 7870OC XFIRE
    Okay I've been doing a bit of research and the thing that's causing the crash + sound loop in BF3 Multiplayer (may sound weird) is in fact a conflict between PunkBuster and Realtek Audio.. I was suggested by an AMD expert to disable Realtek Audio Manager from device manager and try to play, AND IT WORKED!! But no sound :s
    I guess I need a sound card instead of onboard sound or just play in servers without PunkBuster..

EDIT: found a fix --> http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...battlefield-3-bad-company-2-realtek-bsod.html .. will try it later and see if it works :D

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.