Sapphire HD 7870 OC crash with black screen and sound loop

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Zahlokhnir, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe you shouldn't accuse me of being a fanboy.

So what's wrong with that?
    There's not much more they can do, so stop whining.....jeez some people are never happy.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  2. Genesis

Genesis Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    LOL, never happy? I would be perfectly happy if i didn't black-screen every 5 ****ING MINUTES. I already changed the card with the retailer, STILL BLACK SCREENING IT DOESN'T HELP. I wasted so many hours on this ****, and you're wondering why I'm not happy? GTFO stupid fanboy...

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Well if I'm a stupid fanboy then I guess that makes you a whiny little noob. :)

Would you like a shoulder to cry on? lol

4. Hekran

Hekran New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7870 Ghz Edition
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my Sapphire 7870 Ghz edition...
    I'm from Spain i have opened a thread in a spanish hardware community about this problem and there are more people here with the same problem... (spanish spoken thread)

This issue is very annoying... And AMD has no solution on the horizon? true?

Please guys, Dispute not among yourselves... this only gets hurt to this thread and is the worst that we can do...

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012

5. solstice

solstice New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD7870 OC
    Huh? There's not much more they can do? There's so many things wrong with that statement it's kind of hard to know where to start.

First, let's consider the AMD/Sapphire relationship. I haven't been able to find a breakdown of sales by partner, but I have to believe that Sapphire is one of the biggest partners in AMD's graphics card business, if not the biggest. That means that it's very much in AMD's interests to keep Sapphire happy. If Sapphire is having a lot of support tickets opened about this issue, that's something that should be making it back to AMD.

Portraying Sapphire as being an ineffectual middleman in this situation is disingenuous. If they truly are ineffectual, that says worse things about AMD and Sapphire than anything.

Next, let's consider the Sapphire<->customer relationship. By stonewalling customers, acting like there isn't a problem and forcing customers to go through an RMA process even when replacement cards seem to fix the issue only in the rare case, Sapphire is mistreating its customers.

Studies have repeatedly shown that customers are more likely to stick with a company that acknowledges when they make a mistake (or in this case when there's a problem, since the original mistake is likely AMD's) and admits it and tries to work with the customer in good faith to come to a resolution.

The days of being able to ignore a problem and hope your customers won't find out that a bunch of other customers are having the same issue ended when the masses joined the Internet. As a technology company, Sapphire should know that.

In the last 10 years, I have exclusively used AMD video cards in my builds, and they've all been Sapphire cards. With any luck, I'll be playing computer games for at least another 20-30 years. I make a comfortable salary and I'm happy to spend money on quality products. If this incident sours me on Sapphire and AMD, they've potentially lost thousands of dollars in future income, and I'm just a single customer. Multiply that by hundreds or even a few thousand, and we're talking significant numbers.

So... what more can they do? Here's what they can do:

1) quit having their support people act like no one else is having this problem and it's a one-off issue.

2) get with AMD and publicly acknowledge that a minority but significant percentage of their 7XXX customers are having issues and reassure customers that they're working on the problem. As others in this thread and dozens of other similar threads have already posited, it's probably not just an AMD issue, it's likely a combination with certain other components. Ultimately, it's up to AMD and their partners to track down the issue, though.

I'm in the position where I'm willing to use my old 4850 in my new build to play Guild Wars 2 and the few other games I play if I know that the companies involved realize there's a problem and they're working on fixing it. Even if it takes a couple more months, I personally can wait.

What I won't wait for, though, is a company that won't admit it when there's a problem. So far, I have no reason to hope that the situation is ever (ever!) going to get better for the HD7870 that I have sitting in an anti-static bag. As a customer, that's an awful situation to be in.

6. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    yes it is if you dont have vsync on & you're in the 100s of fps, so cap the fps/use vsync if you arent (if you already are, then i dunno... :infinity: )

7. stephanvos

stephanvos New Member

GPU:
    Corsair/DDR3/2x4G
    These values you are seeing ares not real temperatures.
    127 = 0111 1111 binary and 255= 1111 1111 binary.
    255 is the max value of a byte.
    This is either the sensors being read incorrect or the crash is causing stuck bits or the temperature hardware register to become corrupt.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  8. deathfrag

deathfrag Guest

3 week now with my brother xfx 7870 DD and no black screen for me so far (i overclock it to 1100 gpu and 1250 memory) .
    its 100% sapphire card probleme and there is nothing wrong with amd drivers!!!
    for info im using sapphire hd 7870 with same hardware for 3 month now and i got black screen everyday with diablo 3 changed to xfx and the probleme gone

9. terryble

terryble Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670
    V sync and the FPS were limited and set to default, it doesnt help at all~~

10. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Titan SC x2
    I have one question. Since I don't have this card, I am just shooting in the dark. I apologize beforehand if I am totally missing the point. HD7850 seems to share many parts of the electrical circuits with HD7870. Nevertheless this problem happens almost exclusively to HD7870. As far as I understand, one of the main differences of these two cards is the clock speed. Maybe some batches of HD7870s might not be good enough to run at the clock speed at 1GHz or hugher? Do you think that if you decrease the clock speed of HD7870 to 860MHz (which is the clock of HD7850), all this problem might just go away? In fact there are some people in this thread who successfully fixed the problems by downclocking the card. If most of the people who have this problem can fix the issue just by downclocking the card to 860MHz, this essentially proves that there are some design flaws in HD7870 (in a way that the core clock of HD7870 is too high from the beginning).

11. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    or maybe raising the voltage as well

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Saw some discussion about PCIE in the Nvidia section about a similar issue, seems to have helped but also makes one wonder if it's drivers or bios and if it's GPU or motherboard bios in that case.
    (There's no real performance issue or so either at 2.0 instead of 3.0 since it's mostly about bandwidth, or at least I can't see a performance difference at all.)

EDIT: No, that's not it at all, it does lower the chance of it happening the more the card is relaxed but it can't solve it.

Apparently it might be a hardware issue with certain cards, will have to chance and do a RMA it seems, unfortunate but nothing too unexpected either.

EDIT: Yeah that didn't work, product has been removed entirely and replaced.
    http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=743430

to

http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=759806

Might still work but I doubt it, something has changed though so probably whatever issue was with the original series is now eliminated, maybe?

Guess I might have to buy a new GPU entirely then if that doesn't work, not too much of a issue either though a bit expensive, will have to think about what to do.

EDIT: I can see it on the comparison images now, looks like a PCB change (Some components differ too.) but I can't tell what else is done, it does look different in color and the connections are different as well as is the fan "slot" due to this.
    http://www.komplett.se/img/p/1200/9c75de39-b980-49c9-a64f-a097aa8d8edb.jpg
    http://www.komplett.se/img/p/1200/2996f0c2-f23a-4b0a-9869-28e7447181df.jpg

Apparently it does work to do a return after talking with their support for a while so it might solve itself after all.
    (Though it'll be a bit cumbersome.)

EDIT: That new logo has "boost" written on it, did they take that from the Ghz edition?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  13. vladamir

vladamir Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 GHz
    As an update, I have been playing GW2 for 3 days now without a crash with ULPS disabled though the registry after having GW2 cause a BSOD (black, not blue :rolleyes:) every day for three days before which is a definite improvement if not a fix.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Yeah well I have noticed the exact same, hence why I posted it.

I have done further research in the last few days and almost everyone suggests it's only crossfire specific with perhaps a couple of rare other people posting the same findings. Yet surprisingly it has improved stability for some.

Unfortunately I do not have the technical knowledge to read driver code so doubts remain that it could be placebo.

15. Vengeful#1

Vengeful#1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 OC 3GB
    Just thought i'd report that i am running my Sapphire HD7970 OC edition in bios 2 mode (overclocked) and am not experiencing any problems at all..no crashes after hours of gaming..none at all. Im running it on a fresh install of win 7 ultimate 64 using the 12.8cats with 12.7 cap and its been running absolutely perfect..i am even using firefox without any issues. This is a new system ive that i only built about a week ago after hearing about all the problems people have been having and its been 100% stable..i haven't even had to update the bios.

16. Genesis

Genesis Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 Ti
    Just crashed with disabled ULPS in Darksiders II, it doesn't fix this at all unfortunately. Someone suggested it on page 1 already and reported crashes afterwards.

17. rumpltumpskin

rumpltumpskin Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 G
    what games have you been playing? either way it is good to hear that someone got their money's worth. even though this thread has got so many responses the overall opinion of the card is still positive. i was checking the reviews for all brands of the 7870 on newegg and it looks like only about 10 percent of people who commented are complaining about this problem. i stand by my opinion that it is a compatibility problem with some chipsets. it sux and there is always the possibility that the problem will never be fixed but this is the risk you always take when you build your own.

18. Obee Loc

Obee Loc New Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD6870 2GB
    I also get the black screen . Hope a solution comes soon . Tried everything from DCing , to BIOS update and CCC betadrivers . Till this gets fixed it's back to my HD6870 . Not sure what to do though . RMA or wait for update . Sucks big time ! Especially because i'm pretty sure RMAing won't solve it .

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Disabling power play completely might still be worth investigating.

20. Luciferry

Luciferry New Member

GPU:
    MSI R7870 TF 3 OC
    dang !!!

am i the latest victim of this card ?

@BlackZero & Vladamir

in the registri i found 2 file that related to "ulps"

EnableUlps 0x00000000(0)
    EnableUlps_NA 1

so i just change the "1" to "0" rite ?

Thread Status: