sapphire hd 6970 aftermarket cooling?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by bvuong, Aug 2, 2011.

1. bvuong

bvuong New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    hello!

it is summer and its getting hot! my hd 6970 temps are getting to be too much it will freeze in game sometimes even if the heat is not causing a crash, under load, its going 95+ degrees celcius under load

i was wondering if anyone can recommend a way to cool my graphics card, i'd rather not touch water cooling unless it is something like an h50 where its an all in one type thing.

I've looked at the thermalright shaman but i dont think it would work for me, my sound card would be right below the shaman. anyone have suggestions?

2. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    You can always try Arctic Xtreme Plus with VR001 heatsinks:
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/detail?sArticle=18.?

or Arctic Xtreme Plus II (no additional heatsinks needed):
    http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/376/accelero-xtreme-plus-ii.html?c=2182

It's one of the best aftermarket coolers for graphic cards out there. But have in mind, that this sandwich (card + cooler) will take at least 2.5 slots, so to round it up, you will lose 3 slots instead of just 2 with stock cooler.

Maybe before buying aftermarket solution try to clean the stock cooler? Sometimes in heavy dust environment air pathways get blocked effecting cooling performance. Buy some canned air and blow it through the fins.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. bvuong

bvuong New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    thanks for the tip i'll look into it,

there shouldnt be a problem with dust, the graphics card is maybe a month old and my nzxt case is pretty clean i've been slowly upgrading my computer so i'm always going in and out of the case.

4. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Before buying new GPU cooler, you could try increasing airflow in your case. I don't know if it's a problem now, but good airflow can lower temps a few deg. Also placing case somewhere where hot air getting out of the case won't be sucked in again by PSU or case fan can help.

You can also crank up the fan on your card to go beyond automatic profiles - it will probably be loud as hell, but it will help with surviving heat waves. MSI Afterburner will be a good tool for controlling fan speed.

5. bvuong

bvuong New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    airflow shouldnt be a problem, i have nzxt phantom full tower case. 6 fans in there 4 blowing in, 2 200cm fan exhaust

6. MasterVampire

MasterVampire Active Member

GPU:
    GTX TITAN !
    I use the Shaman cooler and its great with my 6950 and it wil work with 6970.

7. bvuong

bvuong New Member

GPU:
    sapphire hd 6970
    yes but i'm thinking the shaman cooler will take up too much room; i have a full tower case but i'm using a sound card 3 slots below my 6970

8. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB Vision 3080 10GB
    [​IMG]

This is my 6970 w/ Arctic Xtreme Plus in comparison with my old 5850 Twin Frozr II

[​IMG]

And on my old P6T it takes about 3 slots, I highlighted a pic on how much room it approximately takes.

I've had it go around 35C> idle but since its summer time here in Florida I've seen it idle around 40C> depending on the ambient temp in my room but on 100% load I have not seen it go over 65C and thats on 25% fan speed, at 100% the cooling gets better and barely gets loud.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hi !
    I've also a heat problem, and in my case it was to my big surprise due to airflow, even with several fans.

Check here to compare T° at idle :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=348563

If you want something thin and efficient go for water cooling ;-)

BR

10. Jeepster50

Jeepster50 Member

GPU:
    ASUS 6950DCII 2GB CF
    A good way to check if it is a air flow problem; open side panel & run it up to load to see if you get same high temps.
    You can put a fan in the bottom of case mounted with Velcro directed at your GPU to make sure it gets fresh air.