Sapphire 1950XT 512MB - ATT Questions

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by Ridill, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Ridill

Ridill Member

1950XT 512MB (GDDR3) VMem Questions

I am one of the unfortunate people who purchased the 1950XT sapphire with 512MB of GDDR3, and didn't get the 900Mhz memory. when under 3D speeds, the memory only clocks up to ~800 which is a bit slower than what these cards are supposed to be rated at, which is ~900

i'm new to ati tray tool, but so far I really like this utility, it seems to have an incredible amount of options available, but I would like to use them properly and avoid damaging my card

can someone explain in detail the best way to get tray tools to clock my card to the REAL 3d memory speeds (900)? i was using the benchmark in the tool, and i would get a black screen while testing the memory, when it reached around 900Mhz, is that because the voltage wasn't being increased to 3D voltage? or is there only a 3D voltage setting for the GPU?

it's strange, because I can run the memory almost right up to 900 using ATT, and i'll get no artifacts whatsoever during prolonged gaming periods, but if i select 900, the Spaceship Window will completely freeze

any help/information would be appreciated, thank you

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  2. Ridill

Ridill Member

3. Marl65

Marl65 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT (587x855)
    I agree. Some time of tutorial would be useful to some of us that are new to ATT. Does anyone know if one exists?

4. puntarenas

puntarenas Active Member

GPU:
    Mad Moxx X1900XT 512MB
    First of all, if you leave ATI Hotkey Poller alone and don`t use overclocking from within ATT, your card will switch to full 3D clocks automatically. You can check this by creating some monitoring graphs for memory and gpu clocks or ingame using FlashOSD.
    For overclocking on cards with high memory clocks you will have to extend overclocking limits in ATTs preferences somewhat.

For overclocking ATT know three modes:

1) Low Level Overclocking

Clock rates and voltages will be set directly through hardware registers. This works best with cards up to X1800XT, some X1900XT might also work. IIRC Ray Adams has no hardware sample of x1950XT/X/Pro so this mode won't work pretty well for those cards, don't use it.

ATI Hotkey Poller needs to be disabled for low level functions and therefore one has to set 3D clocks and voltages manually befor utilizing artifact scan or starting some games. Overclocking profiles in conjunction with game profiles is a good way to handle this.

2) Overdrive3 Overclocking
    Clock rates and voltages will be set using Catalysts Overdrive function. This works all in all like overclocking from within CCC, except one will be able to set the gpu voltage as well.
    Note that ATI Overdrive as implemented in current Catalyst drivers relaxes memory timings somewhat.

3) Driver Level Overclocking
    According to Ray Adams, Catalyst provides another (originally unused) overclocking function besides Overdrive. Use this mode if you work with overclocking profiles on cards not supported by low level functions or to get Overdrive capable cards on 3D settings for artifact scan. AFAIK this mode is also the most suitable for X1950Pro cards which show problems with Overdrive3.

:) This information is supplied without liability. :)

5. RaFiX

RaFiX New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950 Pro 256MB
    Hello everyone, I'm new on this forum.

I have one question regarding Driver level overclocking for X1950 Pro. When I try to set any higher clocks than stock and click 'apply' in ATT it automatically reverts to the stock ones. So as for now, I'm only able to overclock using low level mode, but it won't get even 1mhz up for the memory...whenever I try to raise memory clocks and apply, the screen goes black or something like that, ie. white screen with blue stripes etc. I would really appreciate any help regarding that, I just know the basics about overclocking so there's something I do wrong for sure. Thanks in advance.

btw. I'm on Omega drivers 3.8.330 and ATT v.1.2.6.964

6. puntarenas

puntarenas Active Member

GPU:
    Mad Moxx X1900XT 512MB
    Try the latest Beta, IIRC Ray Adams did a lot of work regarding X1950pro support. You will find it in here!

7. RaFiX

RaFiX New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950 Pro 256MB
    I've got the latest beta and still no way...driver level doesn't allow to raise any clocks by reverting to stock, and on the low level there's same memory issue...any more ideas how to OC that memory using ATT? I would like to use it as I like all that profiles and possibility to OC only for 3D mode so my fan doesn't make too much noise when I'm not playing lol

8. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    A lot of users with X1950 has no problems with overclocking. And I don't know why you have them. But you can use OverDrive in ATT and also create overclocking profiles only with FAN included. Turn Autooverclocking in ATT ON, and set your profiles with FAN control. So Overclocking will be done by Catalyst, but FAN control by ATT

9. RaFiX

RaFiX New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950 Pro 256MB
    OK I finally figured out how to get more on the memory :) I downloaded CCC for my drivers, then unlocked the OC in Catalyst, I tried to raise the clocks and it worked fine. Then I tried once again in ATT and screen finally didn't go black when I moved the memory slider...I've got 627/769 and I'm happy ;)

10. armagedon

armagedon Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950Pro 512MB
    Hey Rafix, i bought the same card (but 512MB) and same problem with ATT. Screen goes black as soon as i move the memory slider. Damned, i don't want to install CCC and NetCo. Ray you know what unlock he's talking about ? ATT (latest 1.3.6.1009) should be able to do that too.

P.S Rafix, we have the exact same HW inventory for the rest.

11. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    No. I need this card on my hand (in my computer) to find what should be done before using overclocking. But as I know, CCC do nothing with card itself when just press unlock button in Overdrive settings of CCC

12. armagedon

armagedon Member

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950Pro 512MB
    Well it does that only with "low level" OC but "driver level" works just fine.
    Forgive us, it's kind a bit of juggling for this new card and ATT options.

PS Minor bug. Since i did the french translation a while ago, i use that language.
    I notice once you press the "Bench" button in the OC window and return, the label has changed for another text with no relation. I hope it's not my fault.
    Use the latest 1009.

13. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    I will check translation