1. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    The initial findings are positive for this 8GB Sandisk Sansa View. I am able to drag & drop movie files onto the MicroSDHC memory card installed in this slender device as long as I first use the Sansa Media Converter which somehow initiates the movie playing with a video folder that the system accepts.

I'm glad of this because the SMC is horrible for converting files. The movie files all have framerate issues where there just isn't enough of a framerate. Having dropped some other better converted files the issue is gone which tells me the device is capable of solid movie playing. I at first thought, before discovering I could D&D files, that this was going to be another dud. So far, though, I'm thinking this might actually be a solid product from Sandisk. The screen has minor viewing angle issues but is very good on resolution.

I have to say, for some reason, the music production on this device, though the same music files as are on the other units I've tried and the ones I still have, seems to be better. The sound for a 96Kb/s MP3 file is surprisingly good. It sounds very rich as though it were coming straight from a retail music CD. I don't have the EQ enable and the sound is standard configuration.

These are initial findings and further usage will bring to light either a very good player or a not so very good player. :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    I'm seeing some minor video playback glitches. About every 3 to 5 minutes there will be like a hiccup or very small skip. It's nothing like the first e260 but is there, nonetheless. It could be related to the file specs. The movie file I've installed are minimal conversion size. They are files that are converted to the highest compression rate. Example:

A highest quality conversion might render a file size of around 400 to 700MB @ 320 x 240 res. and 160Kb/s audio. These files are around 140 to 230MB @ the same 320 x 240 res and 64Kb/s audio. I'll run a high quality file and see if the issue is still present but so far I'm still liking this device. I like the texture and feel of the back panel. It's a solid piece, meaning no battery door or screw holes, and is likely metal that is coated with rubber that gives it a feel of velvet or felt. This player has a very solid feel to it and is certainly appealing. I love the minimalistic approach to the user interface with a minimum of buttons. There are just two buttons, one in the wheel center and the other @ 2 O'Clock of the wheel, along with the 4 way clicking of the scroll wheel. There is also a side mounted slide switch for the power up/hold function. The scroll wheel spins smoothly but lacks some precision and will take some getting used to. Volume is controlled by the wheel and fast forward/reverse are controlled by the right/left wheel clicks. I much prefer using the spinning of a wheel for advancement but that isn't what I get here.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  3. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Discovered something interesting and troubling about the movie playback side of the Sansa View. It will no longer support the currently installed and functional videos dragged and dropped onto the memory card if the memory card is removed. Yep, I had been watching a movie which I D&D to the card and stopped for a while to do something else. While doing other things I removed the memory card to muse at its smallness. I didn't do anything else with the card, didn't install it in the PC or anything, I just looked at it and put it back into the player.

I decided to continue with the movie I was watching but a message popped up saying the file was not supported by the player. Not only that file but all of the previously supported files on the card were now unsupported and would not play.

I tried playing a movie file installed on the internal memory which did play but it didn't help to cause the card file to play. I loaded up SMC, used it to convert a small video file to the memory card, initiated that file and played it. I was now able to watch the other files on the card.

I consider the process for making movies play outside of the SMC to the emulation process. My advice, though, to anyone who would D&D movies onto a card inserted into a View would be to have a very small video file permanently available on you desktop or elsewhere to convert to the card to cause the system to play D&D movie files. I use a 2.5MB music video. Maybe Sandisk will come out with an updated firmware that will correct this issue.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  4. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    it's unfortunate, it truly is, because this is a nice player, this little View, that I have to return it. I tried to get it to continue playing the tracks in a playlist but after a couple it just would stop playing and I don't know why. I first synced music and playlists to through WMP and thought maybe there was an issue with that because the file icons of the music on the player were of a Yahoo Music Jukebox type....the purple icon associated with YMJ...so I deleted the music and playlists from the player and synced with YMJ. That didn't help, it still is doing the same thing.

I can initiate a playlist with over 100 tracks and activate the hold switch so I can put the player in my pocket without the buttons causing a problem and go about my business. About 2 to 3 songs later the music just stops.

I resorted to my king-of-all-PMPs, my Zune 80...which I like to preserve because it's such an excellent player and seems too light of duty to play music, which it plays wonderfully...because my other excellent player, the Sony 816, was downstairs and the Stone was charging.

I'll take the View back and replace it with a Zen, the little 2.5 inch LCD Zen and forget about Sandisk as a viable alternative. I'm certain there are a great many players out there in the world that are satisfying their owners but they are doing me.

EDIT -
    I forgot about my Sansa Connect which is a good player. I leave it in the pouch most of the time but, as I remember, it also needs to be recharged. Because of the WiFi circuit it uses power much more than the others and takes a very long time to recharge. It does provide all around satisfaction, though, and for a player that was created without video playback in mind, it plays better than the video dedicated View.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2008

5. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Update

I might have discovered what is going on with this player. I set the backlight to "On" where it would remain on and not go off and initiated a playlist, the same one as before when it stopped playing. I set the player down angled toward me so i could see the screen and just let it go playing while I did other stuff. After a long period of playing tracks I noticed it had stopped at the very end of one particular track and would not advance to the next one in sequence even trying to force it to with the selector pad. Each time I tried to advance it to the next track it popped a message up saying the track was bad.

I had 128Kb/s MP3s on the unit so I decided to put WMA files on it. The View is currently playing through and it will probably be a while before it get to the previously bad track to see if that indeed was the problem.

This View must be very sensitive because that particular track plays fine on the other units and the PC.

6. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    A little good news.

I was all ready to take the View back and had cleared out my stuff, pulled the card and such earlier but since installed all the playlists. While waiting for the tracks of the playlist I initiated to cycle through, the player stopped so I decided to reinstall the memory card. The system didn't see the card and it didn't show up in the root on the PC. I powered down and powered up but it still didn't show up. I started pressing buttons to come up with a reset and found that holding the start slide switch and the "Home" button brought about a full system shutdown. After restarting and then choosing my language the card appeared and more than that, the movies on that card immediate played when booting one. I didn't have to initialize the playing of D&D movie files by using the SMC and converting a file to it.

7. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    All in all this View is a nice product. I had some issues with music playback and as far as the memory card readability, that was only a matter of familiarization with the product. The movie playing side of this device is great with the only thing keeping it from being excellent is the minor viewing angle issue and some minor playback hiccups from time to time. I love the feel and the look of this very slender but solidly built player. I like the minimalistic interface that has just two buttons and a scroll wheel with four-way clicking. I especially like the memory expandability with an external memory card. The card access is great with no performance problems at all. The Creative products that provide memory expandability have had issues where the player would freeze from time to time and such but this Sandisk product hasn't done anything of that nature. It sometimes is necessary to do a system reboot if the card isn't recognized but once the sequence is known it does away with any problems.

The battery life isn't great but is somewhere around normal, maybe slightly better than normal with about 10 to 12 hours of music playing time and probably 3 to 6 hours of movie playing time depending on the file. A number of my movie files are minimal with cpu usage. The control scheme is great but needs more precision and the selectable color scheme is very leasing. The radio provides good service and is FM only and this player has a voice recorder but has no dedicated button, it's accessed through the software in a menu. It provides for FM recording as well

Beside the minor issues I've seen with this player I would deem it a worthy purchase. I plan on keeping this one and with Sandisk's soon to be released 12GB MicroSDHC memory card coming out, and depending on cost, this unit has the potential of being a 20GB flash drive PMP for a reasonable price. I wish more makers would provide the memory expandability that Sandisk and Creative units have.

My conclusion = Very good

8. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Just finished battery testing for audio @ continuous playback with screen off.

WMA @ 160Kbs
    Audio Sample Rate = 16 Bit
    Audio Sample Rate = 44Khz

Start time = 4:30PM 2-22-08
    End time = 5:15AM 2-23-08

Total run time = 12 hours 45 minutes

The [end time] will be when the player turns itself off due to no battery power.

9. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    I did a second test with MP3 audio @ 96Kbs and I'm going to have to do a third or fourth test because this second test, the battery died at about 6 to 7 hours. I'm not kidding either. I had the hold switch enabled and the screen was off and when I went to check on it, it was dead. And that was a little later in the same day from when I started the test.

10. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Finally! I have some good figures. :)

Test conducted with screen off, hold switch enabled, ear buds attached and volume at 2 notches above halfway. Fully charged battery.

Audio = MP3 @ 96Kbs
    Sample Rate = 44KHz
    Sample Size - 16 bit

Start = 2:10AM 2-25-08
    End = 3:45PM 2-25-08

By my count that's 13 hours 35 minutes.

That's about an hour longer than with 160Kbs music files.

11. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Battery life retest - screen off, hold switch enabled, earbuds in and volume @ halfway

Audio = WMA @ 96Kbs
    Start = 4:00PM - 2-26-08
    End = 10:40AM - 2-27-08

By my count that's 18 hours 40 minutes.

12. techniques1200s

techniques1200s Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 270
    I've had an 8gb Sansa View since November, and I'm very happy with it.

The firmware it comes with is a little unstable and glitchy, but I'm sure there's something new out by now (I haven't checked, so obviously, it's not too bad).

As far as battery life, I haven't done any testing, but I've had really good experience with it. Ive gone about 3 days of heavy use and the battery was still at 1 bar. The battery life has dropped a little by now, but with heavy use It still runs for around 2 to 3 days until it needs to be recharged. Advertised battery life is 30 hours (at 128k i believe, and it was 6 or 7 hours I think for continuous video playback).

13. lewislink

lewislink Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    That would be close to what I'm getting correlated. I don't know what your day is but my idea would be around 6 to 8 hours of usage as an average. That would put the life at around 18 to 24 hours. This one, with WMA @ 96Kbs gets right at 19 hours continuous run time.

The way I test the battery life on these players is get them started and put them down, letting them run till they die. I check them at intervals.

I like mine a lot also. I like the looks, feel and responsiveness and I believe the sound quality is in a higher league.

What is the firmware version on your View?

EDIT -
    I just checked the Sansa website for the official specs and the stated battery life is 35 hours music and 7 hours video. There must be something wrong with this one I have because the best I've been able to achieve in battery life is 18 hours 40 minutes. And that's with minimal interaction and minimal display time. But, of course, I bought it at a Best Buy so that could mean something or it could be just a faulty unit. I'm willing to bet, though, that if I imported one from another country it would be perfect and have the stated battery life. It seems more times than not the products we get here in the states are low end, sweep-up-the-floor type products.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008