Samsung Working on OLED TVs based on Blue OLEDs and quantum dots

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Will it finally happen? Samsung supposedly has been showing prototypes of OLED TVs in of 55 "and 65" sizes. The new OLED screens would use blue OLEDs combined with red and green color filters based on Quantum Dot technology, in essence making this a QD-OLED display.

Read more

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    .....along with a Quantum hole in consumers wallets. :p

3. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Lol

I wonder when are they going to release computer screens with that technology.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    It's great tech, but in its infancy - far too expensive.

I'm sure in 2-3 years it will become more widely available with decent prices and larger variety.

5. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Me too. For now it seems like a workaround of LG's tech, and I don't see any reasons why it is superior. I however really like that LG is getting some competition now which should have an effect on pricing. By the time I can finally afford a rig that handles 4K@60fps without problems on the newest titles, it will be interesting to see if the market has made 32" 4K HDR oled monitors affordable yet.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Probably a while still: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

I know they sell OLED monitors now but I wouldn't buy one. LG's latest TV's (I have a C7 myself) burn in with static content after about 6 weeks. Granted they run the test for roughly 20 hours a day, but still.. if I'm going to spend $1000+ on a monitor I want to know 100% that I'm not going experience burn-in within a reasonable timeframe. Even with my C7 I find myself getting paranoid when I walk away from it when it's on or playing games on it because of experiences I've read people have with HUD's getting burned in.

They would need to prove to me somehow that the burn-in issue is either resolved completely or resolved enough where they could warranty the panel for at least 3+ years.

xIcarus likes this.
  7. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Maybe if/when OLED burn in problem is resolved. And yes, it is a real problem, despite what some who are trying to sweep it under the rug are claiming. This issue is even more relevant for PC monitors because you have a lot of static elements which might be visible for hours on end.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

EDIT: LOL Denial posted same link at almost exact same moment, what are the odds.

Denial likes this.
  8. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    I suppose this could be a return for screen savers! :D

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Samsung is using their own QD technology with OLED and that's somehow a workaround to LG's solution? Dafuq?
    Not only does Samsung's QDCF tech differ from LG's own filters, you also have a blue instead of white backlight meaning you can rely on the backlight itself to produce the blue hues. That's a significant difference as they'll be using 2 filters to simulate the entire colour spectrum, not 3.

If you wanna play the workaround game, point your finger towards both panels; they merely have a single-color OLED backlight as opposed to the RGB OLEDs we have in our phones.

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i think this is desperate and ill-advised. ill-advised because of the overabundance of high frequency light (blue), people are already finding it necessary to wear yellow filter glasses for computer monitors. add to the fact that most households to purhase will have children with far more sensitive eyes. we will go back in time to when CRT tv's emitted microwaves, forcing people to sit at least six feet away.
    this is desperate because of the other players in the field being more advanced.

11. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    Lol, no doubt.

Honestly, they gave up on Oled because LG wrecked them big time with life span. Seems that this sort of Filtering thing is a gimmick so Sammy can say they have Oled TV's too since quantum dot isn't taking off.

Myself as a consumer just wants SUHD tv's that are not in the premium price bracket, oh ya and standard 120Hz or adaptive refresh rates. It's unfortunate that TV's lack innovation such that those options are mostly with held, not due to accessibility, but just to form a pricing hierarchy.

Is it too much to give the consume what they want so they can spend their money instead of more of the same .... gimmicks?

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh, all LG OLED TV's do color filtering... also their advantage isn't lifespan, it's owning the patent on the white OLED - which they bought from Kodak. AMOLED tech doesn't scale to TV sizes so Samsung is stuck coming up with a different solution.

13. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    What.. Why does the base light frequency matter, you're filtering it to create other frequencies (colours) anyway..?
    Desperate? Having more competition in the OLED market is desperate, considering how few players there are? Good lord.

Literally nothing you said makes any sense.

Gimmicks? Have you ever seen an OLED screen?

14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    It should cut costs as LG won't be the only option on the market.

15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

yes i have an oled screen from LG.
    it is the best tv i've ever owned.

red and green filters do little to block the overdriven (if Samsung's history is noticed) blue.
    period

if you're going to throw darts at least be accurate and knowledgeable about the topic. i've built CRT monitors from parts and worked for the company that made the best reviewed TV ever made for over 16 years.
    but ok, knock yourself out

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    oled and plasma *panels* are *the only* technologies with 100% light transmission and control *per pixel*.

LCD panels are *screens* by definition.

whatever light that is not filtered through *is greater* than what gel/color/paint on the inside can absorb and results in "bleeding", "prismatic effects", terrible color balance - universally too fake white with no control over pitch - even in "local dimming" lcds.

think of it as light pollution...like why there are no cutting edge observatories within hundreds of miles from cities.

17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the proposed OLED/Q from Samsung will therefore have an interposer screen (doubtless LCD)
    and act as a 1st generation lcd did with a fluorescent backlight.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    All of these could have been one post and xlcarus never asked if you seen an OLED, he asked user Pinscher, so I don't why you responded to it.

Samsung OLED technology doesn't use red/green filters, they control color by adjusting the individual subpixel voltage. For example, if they want green they turn the red/blue subpixels off. I also don't know what you mean by overdriven blues - the past several generations of SAMOLED displays are consistently the most accurate on the market. LG OLED TV's on the other hand use a white subpixel layout (the subpixels are always white) and use color filters on top in order to produce the intended color - they don't adjust the subpixel color at all, only the overall brightness. If they want to generate green, they filter out red and blue from the white subpixel. Both technologies have their advantages and weaknesses, this is why Samsung doesn't make AMOLED TV's (it doesn't scale to that size) and why LG uses classical RGB striping (they brand it POLED) in their phones. Samsung can't copy LG's white OLED tech because LG has a patent on it that they purchased from Kodak.

xIcarus likes this.
  19. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    i dont see oled getting here anytime soon with a reasonable price tag, im rather surprised that they've continued working on larger format oled screens , after all these years cost remains the main problem with larger oled displays. though i suppose it atleast has the mobile space behind it, which prevents it from meeting the fate of SED and FED.

20. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    Samsung's history with overdriven blue? Filtering?
    Samsung's OLED displays so far (as can be seen in their phones) use full RGB OLEDs. There's nothing to bleed through any filter because there aren't any filters. The pixel's colour is produced by a combination of brightness between each of its subpixels: red, green and blue.

I've also never heard of Samsung's OLED displays having any issues with blue tinting. I haven't noticed anything of the sort in the 3 AMOLED displays that I've owned: on a Galaxy S, a Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy S8. Aside from the S1 whose colours were vivid across the board (a product of the then-current trend no doubt, the iPhone 4 was equally silly in terms of saturation), the other 2 were actually some of the most colour-accurate panels on the market, as Denial stated. I've never noticed any blue tinting issues when testing out other Samsung OLED displays either.

Since you're clearly so knowledgeable on this subject, perhaps you can show me some proof of that Samsung panel tinting.
    While you're at it, maybe show me how what you said about the filtering applies to Samsung's QD-OLED technology because I fail to see how that's anything more than pure speculation. Samsung's Quantum Dot displays don't seem to have this issue, what makes OLED different?