Samsung warns: "if the shortage continues, we may be unable to make televisions"

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 3, 2021 at 9:12 AM.

1. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Samsung basically saying "more money in making mobile screens than big screens." That is where their market is anyways.

2. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Oh yeah the engineer only ended up swapping out three or four cheap €2 capacitors, but I had to pay for callout and time (maybe an hour to take TV down, open up fix, and put back up - plasma 50" weigh a ton)

Yeah, it seems that cheap power board and rubbish capacitors is how manufacturers used to build in "planned obsolescence" on TVs/monitors/PSUs!

Kaarme likes this.
  3. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I know there were multiple discussions to encourage more localisation of foundries on to US soil with TSMC, Intel, Samsung. Similar discussions had with regards to manufacturing chip reprioritisation for recovering sectors like automotive.
    I didn't think Samsung featured heavily in the latter situation but found this article from a month ago stating Samsung maybe headed into this business:

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.co...ronics-chip-investment/20210310190100455.html

Maybe Samsung is firing a warning shot because this situation will now impact their existing contractual obligations?