Samsung unveils Galaxy S5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung Electronics today announced the fifth generation of the Galaxy S series, the Galaxy S5, designed for what matters most to consumers.Â*The Galaxy S5 combines an advanced camera, the fast networ...

Samsung unveils Galaxy S5

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Same bull$hit looking Samsung as the previous Galaxy series. Galaxy, Galaxy S, Note, all look the same.

Are the Samesung designers not able to change the looks? Anyone with an S4 need not bother upgrade for such minimal differences and SAME look...

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Considering this is likely my next phone, I have to say, son I am disappoint. It looks like crap and the specs are underwhelming. Also Touchwhiz is trash, I'll install a custom interface immediately... and a custom ROM as soon as it's available. I hate how Samdung bloat all their phones with trashware.

If you're wondering WHY I would get this if I have so much against it, that's because it'll be literally the only modern Android smartphone offered by my service provider. That is unless you count the 16GB Nexus 5 which they want you to pay full price for on top of signing a 2 year contract. That's BS as possible plus the N5 doesn't have a Micro SD card slot.

I especially don't like the thought of another AMOLED screen. One tiny crack to it and the entire thing dies within hours, organic OP. Not to mention they NEVER do a full proper sub pixel pattern, it's always some BS pentile or other pattern so despite the resolution it never looks as sharp as a standard IPS of any type.

Super AMOLED as opposed to Super AMOLED+ generally means pentile.

Oh well, gotta look on the bright side, the blacks are deep on AMOLED... that's all I can think of for now.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  4. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    Then don't buy your phone with your service provider. There are stores and e-stores that sell unlocked phones.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It'll probably end up costing me $200 from my service provider on a contract, $300 minus $100 credit I have with them. Off contract if it's $600 in the US it'll be $800 here.

Pay 4 times more? No thanks.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Not impressive that much, i rocking on my S3 with custom 4.4.2 rom and it a super awesome smartphone with only 1 gb...

S5 look to be ok but i think it will lose to the next gen Nexus LG and might even IPhone 6 in this year

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    No 64GB internal storage, screw that.

8. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    So there's not enough of an improvement to make me ditch my Note 3 and buy one of these?

9. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    POOR, was expecting a lot more from this...64bit with 4gb ram,4K video, aluminum frame.......... I guess they told themselves that if apple can keep selling pathetic upgrades every year they can too..pity

10. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Why does the phone have to have a bigger screen and a faster processor every single damn time? It's just not necessary...

Keep the screen size around the 4.7" mark, a faster processor isn't needed, just one that's more battery efficient, remove dat touchwiz and introduce a new feature which you haven't copied from Crapple.

Also 4k is just plain unnecessary on a phone so I'm glad they haven't jumped on dat bandwagon, I don't want the cost of the phone bumping up with every single new model. £500-£600 is outlandish.

11. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Nothing WOW on it:
    - finger scanner nothing new;
    - 16 MP camera BUT no OIS;
    - don't need and use fitness programs;
    - design the same;
    - 2GB ram SAME as my S3 LTE
    - more bloat (look how much space the system takes);
    - no x64 cpu;
    - AND THE BIGEST PROBLEM FOR ME KNOX preinstall (no more custom rom and warranty) !!!
    So i'll stay on my I9305.

12. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    its the same phone as the note 3 just smaller screen and only 2gb of ram not 3gb like the note 3. I was really hoping for the 805 chipset and a 2k screen. The S5 is just a Note 3. What a POS. Only 16gb of space as well where the note 3 gets 32gb. There is going to be no space for apps at all. The S4 only gets 8.9gb of useable space.

13. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    The reason it has to have a better screen and a better cpu is because people won't upgrade unless it does. Why would you change your current phone for a phone that is the same thing you have now. No one that is smart enough will upgrade. Its called a upgrade for a reason not a same grade. The highend phone is always around $600. In the US not sure about over seas. Now the screen doesn't have to be bigger but it should be better.

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I wouldn't buy it anyway, Samsung phones are always way overpriced

15. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    Overpriced, they are the same price as any other company's highend phone. HTC, LG, Sony they are all around $600 for highend until they are months old and go down.

16. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  17. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    I would agree to a point with the Nexus. I love the nexus but it doesn't have SD card slot, higher end camera, and battery life you see on say the G2 or the Note 3. Also the HTC One is a very nice phone. I own the Nexus 5, Note 3, and the HTC One. The Note 3 over all to me is the best option because it has everything you would want in a phone if you are ok with the big screen. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the Nexus is always a good option to pick. You just don't get a few things that is nice to have.

18. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    not only that but this time the 0.1" added to the screen costs 6mm plus 3mm taller and wider body than the S4, and not sure how much thicker, they said it was for water proofing, well at least there is 4k recording now, lol

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The phone idustry is becoming stagnant, something that happens with every industry, so from now all releases are going to be underwhelming and more of the same. They have reached a point when they can no longer release a new phone with a much bigger screen or with a much better SOC because it´s simply not possible! And all the features they can put in a phone are already there.

The phone/tablet industry is now starting to face the same problems as the PC industry, the good enough products and the fact that they can no longer increase the performance by 100 or 200% like before.

That´s why nowadays every high end phone release seems boring, they can´t do much better...

P.S. Personally i would be more than happy with a new version of the Sony Xperia Ray, but i now that´s not going to happen...

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Wait, what? Explain please. No possibility of a custom ROM equals instant no for me.

Edit: After looking it up I doubt it'll be a problem.