Samsung Unveils 8K Resolution QLED TV with 8K AI Upscaling

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Is anyone even filming movies in 8K yet?

3. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Even if there was 8K content, most people simply wouldn't be able to fit the right size TV in their lounges to appreciate it. Most 4K sets sold aren't even big enough when you factor in the average seating distances.
    I'd rather see bandwidth used for 444 colour first.

HonoredShadow and alanm like this.
  4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    well the camera already available
    https://dxl.panavision.com/
    http://www.red.com/products/dsmc2

so i guess, someone already shooting at 8k
    well even say they downscale it to 4k for current production, hi-res images/videos give benefit for much easier to edit

RavenMaster likes this.

5. AlinC

AlinC Guest

GPU:
    Quadro
    4k with 4000 nits for me pls :)

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @ everyone
    please throw away all your FHD tvs, because we dont have 1080P/50Mbit "cable" signal either,
    if the argument "no content" is applied correctly...

@Richard Nutman
    lol. seating distance isnt "fixed", and will change based on screen height divided by 2 for 4K, so for 8K should be 1-1.5 times screen height.

7. tailspin

tailspin Member

GPU:
    ARES II 6GB
    So they have a universally accepted 8k video cable/plug to connect into your AV receiver, 8k UHD disk player ,your 8k PC video card or 8k Xbox or 8k PlayStation? I'm thinking "no".

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    While your eyeballs melt in their sockets :p

fry178 and Prince Valiant like this.
  9. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Not to mention the retarded DRM's that stop you from playing your movies even when you bought all the capable hardware and software that was required. Yes i am still salty that 4K Blu Ray playback is dead on PC thanks to it requiring f***ing Intel SGX via an onboard Intel iGPU.

10. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    The vast majority of people do not position their sofa's/chairs according to screen height. Typically 2 to 3 metres away normally. So that would imply 120" TV by your calculation ?

11. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    I've been saying it from beginning about 4k being the stepping stone to 8k like 720 was to 1080. This has been planned before there was any news of 4k tv's coming out. There's already higher resolutions for future.

12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Richard Nutman
    Because i dont care about "most ppl" seating distance,
    as that is personal preference and not related to the tech/tv used.

Im talking about minimum recommended distance to NOT see pixels.
    And i was already "generous", as its already down to x1.5 for 4ks, meaning 5 to 6ft on a 85".
    One reason why i "laugh" about ppl buying bigger screens, only to sit further away (than before), and thus having zero gain from buying a bigger one in the first place, as larger tv means larger (min) distance.
    Unless of course, you increase the res on the screen at the same time (e.g. FHD to UHD).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  13. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Good, this will help drive down the prices of the 4k eventually. Tech keeps moving forward.

airbud7 likes this.
  14. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Pfft, I've only just started my hunt for a 4k TV and no manufacturer sells one with the three things I want. Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and Freesync. I'm hoping more manufacturers other than Samsung jump on the Freesync bandwagon as the Xbox One (which supports those three things I want) overall is a great media player.

15. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING

16. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @nick0323
    dolby atmos wont make a difference.
    for "true" DA sound you need a DA enabled amp and a dedicated speaker in the ceiling.

everything else is just done virtual.
    so not really what i would consider a focus ppoint when buying a tv, as by the time the sound quality is decent, it wont be coming from the tv's speaker anyway (rather than soundbar or HT)
    except maybe the sony A1/A8 series (whole screen is speaker) with added sub/rear (but would still be virtual).

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont buy that crap, if scaling of ui and everything else was done right for the said 2k 4k 8k etc this argument would be moot.

1080p on 32" look better then on 40"
    just like
    4k looks better one 40" then on 55"
    just like
    8k will look better on a 50" vs 60"

Not mater the distance you view at.

Large screen need to be view at farther distance then small screen, other wise you can't really view the whole screen. have you tried to pay attention to everything on 55" at 2 feet? you eye will go crazy. Resolution has and ALWAYS will look better on smaller screen vs bigger one, only issue is ui scaling which is still rather bad.

if 5" phones screen can do 4k and soon 8k with out issue so can TV's and Monitors. I seen 4K on those phones and the image is ridiculously clear

fry178 likes this.
  18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You stuck in 2015?

You realize they gotta start somewhere..right? As well as why it's specifically stated the AI 8K upconvert?....

19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I am looking forward to 8K for many reasons:

• 720p/1080p transition... it happened and I predict this may so long as prices are relatively reasonable
    • Use for HD monitors - yes a LOT of people I know use 4K TVs as their monitors in the living room. Game + Movies for 1 good TV is cost savings for many so 8K would be better. It is also cheaper per square inch/cm than gaming monitors in general. You can buy a 45-55" 4K TV now for less than many smaller 4K monitors. 60 FPS is good enough for most so 8K60FPS or 4K120/240 FPS would be perfect.
    • Prices will come down eventually... by the time GPUs are "really" ready for 4K/120 FPS, it can power 8K good enough.
    • Most TV buyers keep this for a long time like 5 to 10 years. The TV is a better long term buy vs use than PCs as it does not really get replaced that fast or outdated so better to push 8K out asap and drive down 4K HDR at the same time.
    • AAA content will be 4K available and slowly as prices come down, so will B grade. Hell, Pr0n is already 4K and VR. Get with the program! :D
    • I sit ~ 8 FT away for movie viewing and 2 foot for PC use. Can use 4k/8K screen depending on uses.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk I feel like most of Amazon Prime and Netflix's original series are all 4K and most support HDR/DV?