Samsung UE510 28" Freesync Review (LU28E510DS/ZA)

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Chastity, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Chastity

Chastity Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph Nitro 390 BP
    This 28" panel is a TN panel, sporting a 3840 x 2160 resolution @ 60Hz. This panel has to be the best TN panel I've ever used, and having worked at Asus and done product/testing support on their entire lineup, I am quite familiar with the differences of IPS vs TN.

This unit sports 1 billion color capacity, 10bit, and a DisplayPort 1.2, a HDMI 2.0 (HDMI2) and a HDMI 1.4 (HDMI1). Different OEMs will have 2x 1.4, and others have 2x 2.0. A good way to tell if you only have 1.4 HDMI is if the monitor advertises as "2160p @ 60Hz only available via Displayport". Out of box, the monitor is overly bright, and is biased towards the blues. After some much needed calibration, I used the following: Red: 54, Green 48, Blue 53, Brightness 55, Contrast 61, Sharpness 60. My tester used lower RGB values, but I upped them all by 5 to retain color saturation.

Color accuracy and reproduction is on par with your average IPS panel, once calibrated, and is as good as some entry level professional panels. The included CD contains your ICC profile and driver, plus the Easy Settings Box for controlling PIP functions. (I will not be discussing the PIP functions at this time)

To compensate for the usual TN misgivings about display degradation due to viewing angles, Samsung has a MagicAngle feature than adjusts the backlighting to account for various view angles. I enabled the "Group Viewer" option so that viewing angles from far left/right viewing doesn't distort color appearance, and yes it works. The panel's innate viewing angle is listed as 170 degrees, tho I find it to be more like 150. Once "Group View" is enabled, it becomes far greater than 170.

So anyone going "Bah! TN." can go stick it someplace. :)

Default Windows scaling is 150%, which gives you a little more desktop area than say 1080p at 100%. I prefer the 125% scaling option, as I gain much more usable area. I used to use a 1080p panel in portrait mode for viewing browsers and such. This is no longer required, as I have the vertical space I need for those applications, and maintaining a landscape panel. Even at 125% text is still sharp, and easily readable. Others may not agree. :)

For gaming, the display has 1ms GTG and supports FreeSync in a range of 40-60. With some editing via CRU, I increased the FreeSync range to 34-60 with very good success. (Any lower and I'd get random screen blanking) With this range LFC should be enabled. I can quite honestly say having 4K resolutions and FreeSync makes setting up your games extremely easy. For starters, turn off VSync in Fullscreen mode. Second, turn off your fullscreen antialiasing. Either one is no longer required, and you'd be surprised how well games can pump out FPS without those overheads. You can use some post-production filters if desired.

If you encounter a game who's UI does not scale properly for UHD gaming, like say NeverWinter Nights 2, you can use a smaller resolution, and then scale up the picture with scaling with "Keep Aspect Ratio". The results are a little blurred, but no worse than say using FXAA or Morphological. Another solution for that game is to set it to 1440p and use "Center" scaling. The picture is smaller, but not overly so, but the image is sharp.

This "budget" 4K monitor is available at Costco for $299, but has been known to sell at times for $229. I find the 28" panel suitable for filling my field of vision fo some good gameplay immersion, and is excellent for video playback. (Time to start that 2160p video collection)