Samsung to offer UHD FreeSYNC Compatible monitors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 20, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
  2. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Oooh im sure most brands will come with 24-27" etc monitors, but todays monitors brand tend more to start their marketing with UHD or superwide monitors.

3. DarkKnightDude

DarkKnightDude Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 4 GB OC
    Apparently FreeSync supports 9-240 While Gsync supports 30-240 Hz. Huh.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  4. Juliuszek

Juliuszek Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1060/3GB
    So, FREESYNC could achieve 24 Hz which perhaps would be good for movies somehow?
    (Just a wild guess, I try to increase this value with Smooth Video Project anyway).

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Below 30Hz the LCD panel might not be able to refresh that slow without having some artifacts (side effects) creep in such as fading or color shifts. It could refresh the frame twice, however. No idea why G-Sync didn't just double the refresh rate as FPS fell below 30FPS (but remained above 15FPS) by refreshing twice, but I doubt any FPS below 30FPS will benefit from being displayed in sync with the GPU anyways.

Not sure the range will make any difference to either technology if the LCD panel can't handle going that low.

Nvidia explained that they had to make a special ASIC scaler chip in order to handle variable refresh rate as there exists no such scaler chip in a monitor yet. Nvidia's G-Sync module does overdrive algorithm calculations as the refresh rate varies since the pixels respond differently. This is done to avoid any pixel response-related artifacts from appearing. AMD haven't yet discussed this topic. The scalers that are manufactured according to the VESA spec will have to pretty much act the same way as Nvidia's G-Sync module, sans the polling (which AMD mentions as an advantage though I'm not sure how relevant polling is to the smoothness equation with such technologies), with regards to how it treats the LCD display panel. How it interfaces with the graphics card will be different given one is a proprietary technology that works on Nvidia graphics cards while the other is part of the DisplayPort spec that can be implemented by any hardware that supports variable V-BLANK and other necessary tidbits to enable variable refresh rate in general.

6. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I would rather have a 24" 1080p OLED

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If this turns out to be true, my upgrade to a 4k monitor might be sooner rather than later.

9. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I can't help but think, how can this be better than a purpose built seperate device... I'll believe it when I see it that free-sync is as effective as g-sync. Unless these monitors are 120hz or above, it's going to make them rather useless for gaming, what Free and g sync are essencially designed for.

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Funny thing is that some people preferring AMD cards instantly bash on NV :rolleyes:
    It's not like the NV owners could go onto Fsync later on, so there is no mistake in paying extra to get it, since it already comes down and should be a part of the decision of which GPU you get for your rig.

I hope the Fsync monitors come around march for real, so the monitor market sees a little bit of change too :)

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Unless Oculus Rift is unbelievably super for stereoscopic 3D, I'll still wait for FS enabled passive 3D monitor, 4k is not needed for me. 1440p would be enough.

12. tigermoth

tigermoth Banned

GPU:
    2x r9 290 amd cards
    Competition is great and will slash the prices of both.
    Having a standard across the board will ensure all new tech including TV's have the new standard.
    I found this to be interesting and a warning to those who plan on upgrading to 4 k.
    For me 4k is useless and pointless.

http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Nvidia has to support freesync eventually. If not... I don't think that it makes sense not to.

14. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    IPS! Yeah Nvidia will support it at some point. They would be crazy not to. Cause freesync(adaptive sync) will be the cheaper one for everyone to enjoy, buying freesync display shouldn't really limit what card you can use like g-sync does unless nvidia decides to steer away from that o_O

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    No they are designed for to give you smooth image with no tearing at almost all Hz ranges. So it does not matter if you have 60hz or 120hz with 60fps or 120fps it should be smooth.

People that get to 120fps and 144fps on displays that support comparative hz are getting really smooth experience already.

16. Good news. Ofc, open standard will take over market, especially for hardware, mainly because it is licence free and automatically cheaper. It makes all sense in the world for every manufacturer to adopt it, otehrwise, it will lose profit over those who did adopted it.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    I agree that Fsync (or Async) is actually the better technology in terms of how it influences the market and general level of technology.
    Yet I don't see NV supporting it, because they'd lose money on the Gsync cash cow. Anybody believing that NV will support it is being optimistic :)

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    They will support it after gsync sales start to diminish me thinks. Or they will add support for freesync yet market g-sync as better alternative as a premium product of sorts.

19. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    What I was trying to say is that, the image wouldn't be anywhere near as clear at 60hz, therefor not good for gaming. Personally I just can't see a damn thing at 60hz.

144hz with g-sync @ 1440p is something to behold, I'll tell you that much. :)

20. 17seconds

17seconds Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+
    A note from the AMD website, before any of you 280X owners get too excited about Freesync:

"The AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R9 285, R7 260X and R7 260 GPUs additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming."
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/219

I really hope AMD makes it clear to consumers that ONLY these cards will work with freesync gaming. I can see a lot of people buying one of these monitors and feeling a bit let down.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014