Samsung T5 500GB bad R/W.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by IceVip, Jan 26, 2018.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    Just got this ssd off the store because I'm editing 4/6k and I'm storage speed limited.
    Ran crystal disk mark on it and this is what came up:

[​IMG]

On the left is my unit and on the right is the unit from Hillbert's Review.
    A bit more info about the situation:
    -Bios is up to date
    -Drivers are up to date
    -It's plugged into the mobo with USB Type-C(the only one)
    -It's formatted in NTFS(idk if this makes any difference for ssds)

Its like a clear bottleneck from.. something idk.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Not all USB controllers perform the same.

Also, HH could have tested that disk outside of the enclosure.

Lastly, make sure the device under device manager is using High performance mode instead of quick removal.

BTW you must have the bench setup with same settings; 2GiB test will incur a performance penalty over 1GiB

3. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    Tried these:
    -Formatted it to exFAT via cmd
    -Ran the test 3 times at 1GiB
    -Enabling high performance

The score did not move at all. I honestly expect way more from a motherboard i paid 300 euro for.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Well for one you are comparing an intel platform in a review to AMD setup.
    In general, Intel has always had superior disk performance.

Are you just complaining about a benchmark or is it actually slow in real world use.

5. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    Well, in moments like these i just want to give back the overpriced s#!t i bought and get my money back.

[​IMG]

These are the tests i just ran. Make your own conclusion. 300 euro for a board that advertises 3.1 type C and even USB 2.0 is bypassing it in some areas. Fkn asus.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Instead of ranting, think logically.

ASUS does not make USB3.1 controllers.

That board has both asmedia 3.1 and native USB3.1 from PCH.

Only native usb 3.1 is front panel header connector.
    It's not ASUS fault for less than expected performance.

Asmedia will always be slower than native options
    Expecting the same performance from a 3rd party controller as a native one in a review is unrealistic.

So either A. Use native USB3 or 3.1 or B. Return the SSD

Seems like you are having a fit for no real reason.

7. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    Is that really logical thinking? Why not be realistic. Imagine you are a normal person, not like us.
    All you want is to edit 6k footage but for that you need 520-550mb/s storage. You know Samsung's T5 can do that.
    Your motherboard has USB Type-C, which is rated at 10Gbps. Technically everything is correct. Going further on
    investigating is just straight up bullcrap because asus is the one that put the 3.1 on their page everywhere saying its
    fast when its not. I couldn't give less of a damn about these Asmedia because asus is the one that put it there. If they
    had actual people that test stuff they would see that this ASmedia controller is bad and would suggest getting something
    better. There's your logic. You're forgetting normal people out there exist. People that don't need to go into the microdetails
    we do.

8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Normal people don't get hell bent about a benchmark either.

Basically all the boards have asmedia USB3.1

Getting pissy about that isn't helping at all.

A normal person troubleshoots, not cries like a baby 'fck asus fck this piece of sh1t' etc.
    A normal person would have also read the manual to see that 2 rear ports are Asmedia.
    Even the manufacturers recommend native ports for best performance.

Definitely not the manufacturers fault that you didn't read the manual.

So instead of bickering, i already gave you the solution.
    If that's not good enough for you, return your stuff.

You would have been much better off with a NVMe drive 960 Evo 1tb for a media cache drive anyways since you'd be over half the storage space with only an hour of footage.

Reading your posts is like reading newegg reviews, sorry It made me laugh :)

9. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    I won't be better off with an nvme because its expensive and i need it to be portable. I hardly use more than 400gb so I'm fine with this one. Probably didn't express myself correctly, I
    do vfx on 6k shots that need around 520mb/s read. I know its around 520 because when i put them on my 960 evo i get realtime playback and hwinfo64 shows 510-540mb/s read rate.
    Asus is crap because they false advertise. Nobody gets a manual of a motherboard before buying one. Even if they do, reading ASMedia there won't mean anything to me. All i want
    is the things written on their page to be real. If the backport Type-C is peaking at 440MB/s why doesn't asus write 3.52Gbps instead of 10? I don't know why you're defending them,
    probably because you are old and experienced, a.k.a have ways to find out stuff like this better than me, but still, i don't think I'm wrong.

10. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Does the USB 3.1 type-C graph change when you use 1GB samples for the T5 instead of 2GB? Your other screenies all show 1GB sample size and cache always is an issue.

11. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    No, that's why i didn't bother making another screenshot. Its 1by1.

12. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Too bad then.
    People read reviews and manuals before buying stuff btw. Or at least they should ;)

13. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    I did when i was buying this board but even for a geek like me asmedia meant nothing.
    doesn't matter ill just use it on the front panel.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    They aren't false advertising.

I get it, you're not as technical about these things.

Asmedia controller has more overhead loss than native controllers due to various reasons.

If you had a ssd that did 3000MB/s and used it on the red port (asmedia 10Gb/s, which is limited to a max theoretical 1250MB/s) you'd be around 1100-1200MB/s.
    It's quite normal to lose 5-10% of max throughput of an SSD.

Board manufacturers have always recommended to use native connections when possible for max performance.
    For like a decade by now. You would have known that if you have ever read the USB/sata/firewire etc portions of a manual.

I suggest you go here and download latest drivers for both 3.0 and 3.1
    AMD USB3 and asmedia 3.1

https://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html

15. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    I just installed the latest asmedia 3.1 from that site and it went from 28-29 read to 33 on the second and third test. Nothing else changed. But i did realize something.
    Out of the 8 usb 3.0 ports the 4 on row 1 are slower than the 4 on row 3. The ones on row 3 are as fast as the front panel.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 470
    Age has nothing to do with being able to research information.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.
  17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Not sure on the defaults for Windows 10 are, or the maximum, or whether this actually does anything in Windows10, but try the following. You could try doubling or quadrupling that maximum number.

- Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    - Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\usbstor\VVVVPPPP
    - Click Edit, point to New, and then click DWORDValue. Type MaximumTransferLength, and then press Enter.
    - Click Edit, and then click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type a value in the 64 KB-to-2 MB range. For example, select Decimal,and type a value in the range of 65535 (64 KB) to 2097120 (2 MB).
    - Repeat for all adaptors
    - Exit Registry Editor.

18. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I haven't read though the entire thread, apologies.

That's a very odd and off result ... interesting. Please check your BIOS if you there are some options available. I do have the Crosshair VI Hero here, I'll check a thing or two as well.

Image2.png

Update: wow ...above is not a T5 but EX1 from Plextor (which is a slower device) the rear 3.1 connector is routed using the ASMedia controller. It is indeed poor., specifically at anything 4k block sized.

However, the front panel connector you can lead to your chassis has a USB 3.1 Gen 2 coming directly from the X370 chipset. If you can get a proper connector or chassis supporting it - your prob is fixed.

That one should get you full speed on the T5. Interesting find Ice, not for you I guess. Sequentials are fine on ASMedia, but anything 4K just caves in. The rest of the USB 3.0 ports perform much better in that area.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    IceVip and FatBoyNL like this.
  19. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2050
    I'm using the 3.0 front panel connector because I've no cases with 3.1. But its fast enough for now. In time ill get a better case.
    Thanks for the confirmation though, pretty disappointed in this mobo.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    For the last time, you would get the exact same results on any other motherboard using asmedia, which is pretty much all of them.