Samsung stops LCD production - Focusses on quantum dot OLEDs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Wow, this really is a shock. So Samsung admits their QLEDs defeat.

3. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I have a Samsung monitor and, while I am glad I got it and it was a great purchase at the time (Samsung 27" CHG70 Gaming Monitor with Quantum Dot), I would prefer OLED as my next monitor in five years. While burn in is a risk on these monitors I've been seeing tests done that the technology is there to help prevent and mitigate burn in. It would be great to see Samsung ply their engineering talents further in that field and hopefully OLED monitors specifically for gaming become more mainstream.

OnnA likes this.
  4. Dr.Puschkin

Dr.Puschkin Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti Suprim
    Hear hear. Currently running CRG9 32:9, I will not upgrade until I can get at least this form factor in OLED/MicroLED spec.

5. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    I also have the CHG70, but on 31.5 inch variant. My plan was to buy the 48 inch LG OLED as soon as it was released, but seeing that probably I'll run out of money at some point this year, because we will stay at home until we die, since no government has no other type of solution for this pandemic aside from stay home & die at home, I won't buy it. Heck, I'll probably trade this one for food in the summer...

But, I'm glad to see that OLED is gaining ground. All this burn in/image retention issues can be easily mitigated and LG has found good solutions for this and probably many more can be implemented with time. But, if OLEDS will become the standard for monitors and TV as well, they will be cheaper with time and if I have burn in in 5 years I really don't care, I'll just replace it with a newer, better, cheaper OLED. But, if we all just stay home, probably there won't be any Samsung soon, or they'll become a hands sanitizing gel production company....

waltc3 and mohiuddin like this.
  6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I wish they would hurry up. I really want an OLED TV but my placement options are pretty bright and none of the current options are anywhere near as good as Samsung's anti-glare. Samsung makes an OLED with an anti glare filter on par with the likes of the Q90R and that will be my next TV.

7. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I can understand that, with the current viral infection that has hit most of the globe, there is currently a lot of angst and tension for those who must comply with their government's orders to keep their distance from others as much as possible. Staying indoors and sanitize against the current global pandemic as much as possible, as such things would be new to the common folk and the unwashed masses that populate the streets.

For me, this is simply a Tuesday.

8. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I do not understand this, are they doing LCD again just with OLED backlight instead of traditional LED backlight?

9. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Woah just hop on and see 2 alerts for the same post oof.

Aura89 likes this.
  10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    oh your god is this finally happening? for real?

now i can only complain about antiglare mudcoats being standard on pc monitors

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    No its proper OLED. Today LG makes OLED TV's which all of the OLED's are white with RGB filters on them. So the sandwich that makes a pixel is WRGB where the W for white has no color filter. Samsung is doing something very similar with all blue LED's and a layer of their quantum dot filters for the RGB.

TLD LARS likes this.
  12. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    all info i saw before the news on guru, stated its gonna be QLED only (no non-qled lcd),
    and not Oled.

@JamesSneed
    oleds dont really need anti glare coating, as they do much better even with direct light shining at them.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    As someone who owns a OLED TV with direct light shining on it most of the day - I strongly disagree with this statement.

[​IMG]

That's my TV at maximum brightness during the day WITH anti-glare coating that LG puts on all it's TVs. The Samsung 55" LED I had before it (which has twice the ABL) fared drastically better. If your argument is "OLED at X brightness is better than LCD at X brightness" then maybe - but OLED, especially in TVs/Monitors comes no where near the brightness levels of LCD/LED. If you're comparing phones then I still don't agree because if you read through the various displaymate reviews you can see the manufacturers of OLED panels & companies integrating the panels do lots of work to reduce glare.

mentor07825 likes this.
  14. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    not really, i mean the "QLED" branded displays that samsung makes are an intermediate to true QD (samsung "qled" is an lcd with a qd enchancement layer) so it kinda makes sense they would end qled once they have proper QD displays in production (samsung calls these "qd-led") since you save manufacturing complexity( In theory) since it they dont need backlights.

16. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    with HDR making screens so damn bright i wonder if AH3 coatings are still soo badly needed, they could at least make it optional, i had to stop using a 24" glossy TN monitor next to a 34" IPS ultrawide because of how bad it looks next to it

and yet look at phone screens since 2014 or so, they can outshine the sun, perfect blacks & contrast, colors popping, no blur, no ghosting, even finger oil isnt enough to make them look bad. why cant we scale that up to monitor sizes? burn in? ffs, there are countless advantages going against that single "issue"