Samsung starts GDDR6 production that offers bandwidth of 18Gbit/s

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    How does it compare to HBM2 ?

Could bring good news to the ridiculous prices we have today

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Depends how the HBM2 layout is done, i think the Titan Xp and 1080ti had faster memory (GDDR5X) than say the Vega 56/64 since that was running dual HBM2 chips(seems to limit bandwidth if i remember correctly), but i think stuff like Titan V would run faster.

But honestly they both run pretty close to each other right now GDDR6 would most likely be faster in many consumer cases, though there is already talks of HBM3 whenever that is set to come out

4. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    if we do the basic calculation

rx 580 with 8gbps gddr5 memory we have
    (2ghz real frequency) x(4 ,quad data rate) x (256bit bus) /8 = 256GB/s

for 18Gbps gddr6 on a 256bit bus
    (4.5ghz real frequency)x(4 ,quad data rate)x(256bit bus) /8 = 576 GB/s

for 18Gbps gddr6 on a 384bit bus (like a titan Xp)
    (4.5ghz)x(4)x(384)/8 = 864GB/s

for hbm 2 2.4gbps on 2 stacks (feasibly a vega 64 card could be equiped with this)

(1.2ghz real frequency)x ( 2 ,double data rate) x (2048 bit bus) /8 = 614GB/s

for hbm2 on 4 stacks (vega 20 machine learning gpu)

(1228.8gb/s)

so i'd say that the gddr6 has an advantage if its cheaper than hbm2 particularly in the consumer range of products, since its offers similar bandwidth and doesn't need an interposer.

however i will say once you go past a 384bit bus things get more expensive, and require alot more space than a similar hbm2 solution,
    hbm is still superior interm of its charateristics (power consumption (pretty sure), space efficency, memory density ect) but its cost is the inhibiting factor

what i would expect to see from gddr6 is the return of 64 bit and 128bit bus gpus to mainstream, since the bandwidth provided will actually be enough to be useful, will either make cards cheaper , or more profitable .

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    airbud7, Embra and Silva like this.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    With the mining craze we are seeing and knowing how corporations work, I'd say more profitable for sure!

6. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    Come on friends, we have to see this situation from a mature point of view, gaming is an industry that have decades around, but just about 20 years or so it has been taken seriously, probably the same had happens to movie industry (a century ago). in my opinion the issue in here isn't the mining industry, the issue is that from 5 years ago we have learned how to do OTHER things with GPUs, we have optimized our ways to work with this kind of processors and now we need many of them, for AI and many types of computation, right now we are crying about hi prices of GPUs, but what probably will happens is a separation from the computing market (different price points for this kind of computing cards) and the gaming market, we have seen how some technologies has improved general computing instead of the FPS for your games (hbm or vega architecture maybe), we just have to understand that AMD and Nvidia doesn't have any responsibility with the "gaming" community but with GPU tech in general.

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    if it was 24Gbit/s i'd be excited. But 18? Meh.

8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    ..per one pin pair...it has more than one per chip....

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's always the worry, they cheapen the cards because of the miners... Why make for gamers if miners are the new number 1 buyers of these cards :/

Cause they might lower the bus bit, but i'd bet that the prices of these cards wouldn't reduce

10. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    You mean, miners would be ok with their cards dying more often? Lowering the bus = lowering the mining speed...Did you notice the shortage of 1060 3gb or 1050Ti? RX 560/550 ? No? Neither did I.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I thought those are getting skipped because they do not have at least 4 gb of ram on em , am i wrong?

12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    No and yes. :) there is 1050Ti with 4gb, but it's weak for mining, same goes for other cards mentioned. If you are going to mine and all that, you don't want to use up space by those cards :) 1060 3gb with good (preferable) memory are used for mining somewhat, but they will be out of the game soon. But you can't SLi them, thanks nVidia, and you still have 3GB vram only.