Samsung S9 series

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by -Tj-, Dec 15, 2017.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    [​IMG]

For both devices, the 'glass sandwich' construction continues - with a metal frame and glass used on the back as well as the front. The rear sheet curves into the frame almost as much as the display does. Iris scanning tech will be built into both S9s, and the Bixby button is here to stay - as is the 3.5mm headset jack, thankfully.

The Galaxy S9 is said to measure 147.6 x 68.7 x 8.4mm. That makes it 1.3mm shorter, 0.6mm wider, and 0.4mm thicker than its predecessor. The S9+'s dimensions are 157.7 x 73.8 x 8.5mm, so it's going to be 1.8mm shorter, 0.4mm wider, and 0.4mm thicker than the S8+. The bigger model for 2018 has cut both the top and bottom bezels by 0.1mm compared to its predecessor.

https://gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy...outed_see_them_from_all_angles-news-28728.php

No news about S9 mini yet, but apparently it will happen too, 5" variant.

I would rather take this mini then ~137mm it would be ideal. :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    chispy likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I really wish they'd skip Bixby. I honestly have no idea what it's good for.

3. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Until they bother to regionalise Bixby it its pointless. I tried to train mine and it wouldnt even recognise a basic english accent (no regional accent). So i turned it all off and use Google Assistant as always.

Id try Bixby if they made it work well but I cant see them catching Google now in terms of functionality.

I also wish they'd drop the curved screen, it looks lovely but when using your phone it makes no difference whatsoever and just makes it impossible to get a decent tempered glass screen protector.

The fingerprint sensor looks a better placement now but it still looks like a tiny sensor and my biggest issue with the S8 one is having to completely cover it to get a reading, on my nexus 5x i loved the fingerprint sensor but its so difficult to get it working reliably on the S8 its just a pain.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Looks identical to the existing S8/S8+ and Note 8 of course. :)

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX 1070 iChill x4
    i actually like bixby. she raps like the best. :D

no seriously , the places thing in the phone menu, and photo lookup are very nice features.
    home also allows apps , which are not possible in google home.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I wish I understood the meaning of Bixby :(

So far it tells me to look at todays schedule when I have one item on the list, or asks me to review today's taken photos. I never open Bixby otherwise because I seriously don't know what to do with it yet.

7. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    I tried bixby but it wouldnt even understand the learning phrases when I spoke them so was a waste of time trying anything more. Also I much prefer Google Voice match idea than having a password to have to say out loud. I mean cmon whats the point of a secret password if you have to say it out loud to wake and unlock your phone, never use voice commands when other people are nearby?

If they released a proper English UK version id try it again but Google Assistant seems so much more mature by comparison.

8. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    hmm i didnt even know it was possible to have a password with voice command lol. It indeed it makes 0 sense.
    There is facial recognition and iris scan besides the usual fingerprint or gestures on my port. They work just fine.

9. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Yeah its just bixby thats a bit naff.

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    Finally upgraded from my 3+ years old Samsung Galaxy S6 to a brand new Samsung Galaxy S9+ 128GB because the battery on my S6 was dying and was on it's last leg :/ , i had to re charged 3 times a day to be able to use the S6 phone. The difference it's night and day really , S9+ it's lighting fast with his 6GB of Ram and that Snapdragon 845 make it snappy phone. I have had it for only 4 days since the first charge to 100% and after 4 days i still have 43% battery left. It also helps that i did all the tweaks to get better battery life out of it and also i'm a light to moderate user. No need to worry now about battery life. Kind of expensive but this phone will have to last me 3~5 years hopefully ( cross fingers ).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    -Tj- likes this.
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    I'm impressed really , i got 5 days of light to moderate usage of battery life and to me this is one of the most important features on a new smart phone along with camera and features. I will update how it goes in regards to battery life in 3 months time to give you guys a more accurate picture of how it does then , so far i'm in love with the S9+ phone. Going to start playing with the cameras today :)

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    hehe, i still charge every day :D But im loving the device.

chispy likes this.
  14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    I'm really a light user ( mostly phone calls , whatsup app , some internet browsing and ocassionally a youtube video ) hence why it has last me so many days without charging. I have made all the tweaks available on the net to make the battery last longer and that has work better than i thought for me.

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I upgraded from a Galaxy S6 to a S8+ last year, and my experience is similar to yours with the S9+. My S6 could barely hold a charge and I would need to take an external charger with me everywhere I went. It wasn't just the S6 though - the Nexus 5 before it also had terrible battery life and the S2 before that also wasn't a shining beacon of battery longevity. When I bought the S8 I specifically went with the + model for its larger battery, since I was so tired of having poor battery life (it cost more but I didn't care). My S8+ is the first phone that can actually last an entire day, and I'm a very heavy phone user. Despite the cost, it's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

I really wish phone manufacturers would put a bigger focus on the battery. They strive to make phones thinner and shinier, with a faster processor and more RAM, but they rarely try to extend the battery capacity. If Samsung included a 5000 MAh battery with the S9 then I would have most likely upgraded (although I'm very happy with my S8+, more battery life is always welcome). In fact, a larger battery is one of the only factors that would encourage me to upgrade at this point (smartphones seem to have reached a plateau, with very little in the way of features or improvements).

chispy likes this.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti @ H2O
    Exactly the S6 mostly suffer of low battery life , right after the 2 year mark of owning the phone i noticed a big drop in battery life but i hold on to it until it was not reliable anymore. I decided the same as you , to get the biggest battery on the S9+ instead of going to the vanilla S9 just because of the 3500mAH battery.