Samsung S8

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by WhiteLightning, Mar 29, 2017.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    For the first time I'm not interested in a new release because I've found a phone I love. My moto force z is amazing. I only plan to upgrade when moto releases it's successor. The battery life and motion controls alone, I can't go back.

2. zimzoid

zimzoid Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Well I ordered one, time to upgrade from my trusty old s5 which I've had for 2 1/2 years, also get a free 256GB card with mine.

3. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I just bought a galaxy a5 2017 and plan of using it for 2 years. But this galaxy s8, my god what a gorgeous phone, major giggity i tell you. Phones are getting exciting again!

4. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    S8 owners, can you comment on the screen edges touch sensitivity? I returned an S7 edge before coz it was so annoying triggering apps/stuff even when just holding the phone normally.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    when I got my s7 edge , I had same issue and sold after a few months. 2 months ago re purchased it and with updates it seems that problem is ALMST GONE. ALMOST.

S8, youtube reviwers saying it is better but still there. sometimes un wanted registered touches .

Buying S8 to brother. I wanted s8 plus yet today is first day of launch I'm here. couldn't find. will toy with s8 further.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I dont feel like the edge is a problem and frankly it's easier to type with one hand now with the edges.

The battery life, omg - that's the best thing. On my frist charge I had a SoT of 5h12min and it operated for 1h18hrs, pretty amazing compared to my S6.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I had to buy a case for my S7 flat because I was doing the same thing, coming from the S5 with much thicker bezels I was constantly pressing the sides of the screen on the S7

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I think I'm gonna upgrade to the s8.

9. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    It's pretty solid, I've had it for a few days and it's pretty exciting.

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    For my experience s8 edge is far better than s7 edge in terms of accidental pressure. My bro loves it as he hated s7 edge.

Still sent find s8 plus to myself. There is one orchid grey which I am not sure if the color is female or not.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Got my s8 plus and the struggle is real. Finger print sensor is not working properly anyway.

Face recognition isame. Not working. Brothers s8 has no issues but the problem is my face I guess. I am ugly and phone hates it.

Iris scan works but sometimes missesthe target.

What a bullsht way of unlocking a phone for me. Crap.

12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Im impressed with the camera app. I have it installed on my s7 edge, images are sharper and i can take a photo of the sun. (which I wasnt able to do with the s7 edge version)

13. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    I'll be skipping the S8, I went from the S4 to my current S7 Edge & this phone does everything I need it to & more. Not sure I'm a fan of ditching the physical home button, plus I like the fingerprint scanner where it is on my s7, not to keen on where they've placed it on the S8.

14. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Aren't you missing a load of swipe right modes?

Tried it on my S7 flat and it broke a lot of functions

EDIT - Ah the flashable zip? I just tried the APK, didn't work very well

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    what phone you have right now. and which app you are talking about?

16. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Regarding unlocking the phone:
    Iris - Works best (even with glasses) but obviously not if it's very dark
    Face - Is by far the quickest but also not very secure and requires special lightning conditions
    Finger - Very hard to miss on a bare phone but if you have it in a case (which has edges) then it works really well

Battery is freakin' awesome and can easily do 1½ day or almost 2 between charges.

I also love the design and thing that Nougat works pretty well once you get used to it.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Tell more, or is this just for newer OS, Marshmallow and up?

Im still stuck at lollipop.. -_-

19. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    This one is only for the S7/Edge running Nougat, not sure if it has been ported for other devices running LP, you'd need to check XDA forums for whichever phone yours is?

In fact I think this one is not even compatible with Nougat S7 stock ROM, it says you need to be running a certain custom ROM called Superman

You can find different Camera APKs for different devices on apkmirror.com though, worst that would happen would be you'd need to uninstall that app if it didn't work, but flashing the wrong zip for the wrong device can brick

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  20. stone-eye

stone-eye Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel® HD Graphics
    Nice to hear, what about cases for the phone to protect it, all that glass is just asking for some nasty cracks.