Samsung & Oculus Launch consumer Gear VR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A new $99 Oculus-made Samsung Gear VR can release virtual reality for the mainstream.The new Gear VR works with the 2015 line of Samsung Smartphones including the Note 5, S6, S6 Edge, and S6 Edge+. I...

Samsung & Oculus Launch consumer Gear VR

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    OMG, I was like: "I should finally get Gear VR for my Edge, and was to order within next week."
    And now: "I have to wait? I hope that while price is lower, it is better in all aspects."

3. PeteBeMe

PeteBeMe Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce
    Need a 1k smartphone for all those people that can't afford a 1k PC. Nice way to bring 3d to the masses Oculus and Samsung. I will just have to slum it with my Galaxy S4 and my i7/R9 290 PC in 2D.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Works with the S6 but not the S5?

5. tikimotel

tikimotel Master Guru

GPU:
    2x Evga GTX460 1GB FTW EE
    It is the S6 ($6) and you want the S5 (S what???) supported?

For Updates for any samsung smartph(f)one older than 5 months, you'll need to buy a new $martphone from $am$sung. :banana:

Same goes for important android security updates, got a samsung older than 5 months you are :banana: , just buy (a) the new(est) one....

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    So what are you supposed to do with that thing ? Play some mobile games ? Like what ? That thing + 600€ phone or just buy some new console and connect it to your TV ?

Or just play with your computer.

7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I was happy til i saw it was for the phone only and not PC. Now hoping that when oculus releases the consumer version of their product that its the same price. If its 200+ then I will never get it and stick to 3D vision 2.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This $100 thing is just cellphone holder. As someone mentioned, you can send to it (galaxy s6 phones) images from PC. Allows to watch movies in 3D and play PC games which support 3D this way.

But as stated, this does not have full had tracking so while you can look around, leaning forward or 'strafing' with head may not give any effect.

But considering S6 pricing, I would say this add-on is not expensive for what it can do.

And no, oculus will not be under $250 and HTC Vive will not go under $300.

9. Ceinnon

Ceinnon New Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4GB
    Like people texting and driving wasn't bad enough...

10. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Based on these comments I'm guessing most of you have never even used a GearVR. At leas try it before handing out and sharing judgements. I've had one for quite a while now and it's a pretty interesting piece of equipment. I was actually surprised that this version is only $100 and is supposed to be better in just about every way than the Innovator edition I have. There's a bit more to it than just a cell phone holder.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    What does the S6 support, that the S5 doesn't in order for this to work?

And sorry but no, the S5 is still receiving plenty of updates, iirc even the S4 is still getting updates