1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung NVMe Driver 3.0 Released

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by KyleStilkey, May 3, 2018.

1. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    pimpernell and insp1re2600 like this.
  2. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sa. Fury Tri-X 3840
    I know NVMe 2.0 driver unleashed a good deal of extra performance over standard windows drivers (something like 15-20% roughly from memory - I was not paying too muc attention at the time) but Samsung completely forgot to factor in power efficiency so their 2.0 driver very significantly ate laptop battery life. In such a scenario where wireless use was important I'd have to default to standard windows drivers and suck up the lost performance... :(

So I am expecting Samsung have that issue fixed in this 3.0 driver, if they did not get that soted already quickly in an intervening 2.X version ?

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
  4. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I installed it and there is no difference at all in performance or anything. But still good to install.

5. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sa. Fury Tri-X 3840
    on my Samsung 960 EVO 1TB (just today got my main machine upgraded and running ^^ ) going from the latest Win 10 install MS drivers to this Samsung NVMe 3.0 driver my 4k writes jumped 32.8% in performance from 125.6 to 166.8 MB/s

All scores went up across the board but that was the biggest jump. Sequential read also went up by just over 8%.

Well worth installing :)

6. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+
    Samsung also has pushed out Magician Software 5.2.1 which I think just adds the new GDPR privacy protection into the software as now installing the update/software it asks if you are in a GDPR Region.

7. Archvile82

Archvile82 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080ti
    Hi guys,

My dell laptop contains a Samsung nvme drive. Unfortunately dell doesn't install the Samsung driver so it's using the windows default driver.
    Currently Samsung magician doesn't recognise the drive, if I install this driver, will it be recognised?
    I hope it does as I read dell set the bios for the drive to the wrong setting and I'd have to reinstall Windows for magician to be of any use which i really don't want to do.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700

This is an issue well known to Dell systems. In the BIOS SATA is set to RAID mode and this will prevent both Magician and the Samsung NVMe driver from working.

If you want to use a Samsung drive on a Dell it is best to set the SATA mode to AHCI in BIOS and then install windows, everything will work correctly after this.

I have no idea why Dell does this BTW or why SATA affects PCIe like this but it does and I have seen it first hand a few times on systems I service.

I actually posted about this over here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/samsung-ssd-970-pro-evo-released.2544169/page-2#post-39417162

Read post #43 and #46.

9. Archvile82

Archvile82 Active Member

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080ti
    Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling that would be the case:(
    Why can't these companies get anything right ???

10. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Member Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I am not sure but I have noticed that they are doing this on ever new system I have looked at lately. I bought a few Dell laptops last month as donations and every single one of them was default in RAID mode and had RST installed.

There is a procedure to switch from RAID to AHCI without reinstalling:

https://triplescomputers.com/blog/u...ch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation/

There are other ways to do this but I have a feeling that this method is the easiest.