Samsung Now Mass Produces 3-bit 3D V-NAND Flash Memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    cool. bring it on sammy.

btw, i do expect endurance to be double that of the 840 series (non pro)

3. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    Hope this means 1TB SSD's for under $399 and 2TB SSD's for $599

4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    How do we know which SSD's will have these in?

5. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The entire 850 series will get these, and considering it's the future of NAND storage, you can expect all following models to have it. Then there will be die shrinks in the future etc etc.

7. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    doesnt the pro version have 2 bit cells???????

8. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yeah, the 850 Pro is MLC. TLC V-NAND will be used for the mainstream higher capacity\$ drives to come.

9. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Slc is a good thing, tlc is a bad thing, mlc is even worse thing. We shouldn't buy anything less than tlc. I don't understand why people are happy with mlc 3bit nand, come on, it's 3 bit cell, lifespan reduced 9 times and error rate is increased 9 times comparing slc, if not more. Yes, price, but i would rather stay with slow speed or high price instead of valuable information go to waste. When technology will improve, then we will talk.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  10. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I think the "writes\error" fear of TLC has been well tested, and considering it's designed for consumer use make it more than a valid option for it's intended usage.

Samsung 840 3-bit/cell MLC

Lifespan of Samsung SSD 840 250GB TLC

This is the technology that is going to push affordable high capacity storage drives, so I think we're looking pretty good at this point in time.

11. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Still, we should be very cautious about these technologies. Test results might be misleading or tempered, we don't know that for sure. I was once a victim of bad ssd, now i'm careful with these things. I suggest everyone to be cautious too.

Edit1: And 700TB when i think of it, is not enough. I push 200GB/day easy with gaming, working, streaming, sharing.
    Edit2: Ok, i won't stream and share anything from SSD, but all software/games will use SSD.

12. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    writes?

200GB a day in writes?

that's crazy

13. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Ok, i overkilled my results a little bit :D, forgot, that i use HDD's for most of the read/writes. But still, i think it's not enough.

14. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yeah, at 200GB of writes :rolleyes: a day I wouldn't consider myself an average user.

Regardless, I'm happy to see Samsung continuing to push forward.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well the most writes I'd get on the system disk SSD I guess, but for the gaming-dedicated SSD I guess it's something like 300GB per year, maybe 400GB. So 700TB doesn't sound too bad, or do I get things wrong here? Like, if I install a game and only play it, will there be any more writes than the install (besides patches/updates ofcourse)?

16. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Reinstalls because of low space. I don't want to give my leg for a large ssd. And i wouldn't dedicate SSD for gaming, it would be like All software including OS, SWAP....

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You'd literally have to reinstall your entire OS + tons of software multiple times a day to hit 200GB, that's absurd.

I've been buying SSD's since the original Vertex in 2010, I've always had them in RAID-0. I've had 2-Vertex 1's 2-Vertex 2's 2-Vertex 4's and now 1-840 (512GB) Pro. Only one of my drives is dead, one Vertex 2 that I was too lazy to RMA. The rest are all still alive in various machines, still kicking.

18. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    ok 200 for a System/Software/Games drive is too much, but let's take games which uses 20GB+, and i might reach 80GB

19. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    What are you doing exactly? Reinstalling your 20gb game 10 times a day?

A game which is already installed uses very little writes. Mostly game updates, save games... not much.

20. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    This is the test of the 850Pro V-Nand...

[​IMG]

Source: ( there's more test there, i just have take this one as example )
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8239/update-on-samsung-850-pro-endurance-vnand-die-size

Even at 100GiB / day, this is largely respectable. Its clear the 128GB will obviously take the bigger hit but that is normal..

I dont remember an HDD that i have keep 15 years .. let alone 20 years.. ( and i will be tempted to say that with HDD, this was the mechanical pieces who was break way before that ).

Like with HDD's before, that we was change due to new technology ( Sata2-Sata3, capacity increase ( why keep a 200GB HDD when you can have now a 4TB one for backup ).. you will certainly upgrade your SSD's way before you hit this dead line. or reduce extremely the write on them when you got them only for some backup.