Samsung might unveil Galaxy S9 and S9+ at CES in January Already

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    a phone that isn't using the snapdragon 835! what is this! Blasphemy... In all seriousness, phone technology has gotten to such a crawl in recent years. Wish companies would invest more into battery technology... mind you it means i can use my phone for years to come on a cheap £5 sim only contract :D

3. DLD

DLD Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060 6GB
    Do I see what I see? After so much blah blah marketing about "bezel-less" screen design, a model with a cover like this one="bezel" this thick? And the rest of the design...well, it looks like a replica of a coffin... Appropriate, if you're into funeral busyness, I guess...

4. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Am i the only one who just doesn't care , like at all , i mean phones these day's are fast enough for pretty much anything i need , even a old s4 does pretty well tbh :/ , so meh .

5. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    there many battery research and some even backed from samsung
    (http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130...in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air)
    but it need to takes many test and the other biggest challenge probably mass-producing like we can do with current battery tech
    so it will be a while before eventually we getting new battery tech

but again, current smartphone even not user replace-able, its not hard to get it replaced by official service center, and not that expensive either (if i dont wrong, samsung always replace battery with any display replacement service... so incase you broke your display, samsung service will also replace the battery with new one)
    most current li-ion battery will last avg. at 2 years before user getting massive capacity lost
    and samsung says they also improved S8/S8+ note8 battery too so it will last longer than previous model

6. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    smartphone sure coming to idle-era much sooner than pc... its like only in 5years that improvement feel not really much again
    but computing tech sooner or later will eventually come to same things

we can keep making faster stuff but again do faster stuff make "real" improvement for user?
    like in pc, when everything load fast enough that user barely feel improvement over their cpu upgrades

not sure if keep supporting older devices (spread over many OS version) that holds back (or have some relation) the improvement or not

7. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I would love such batteries but i do not think they are even possible , we are quiet close to the limit of our current tecnology on batteries , thing is the more energy you cram in a tight space the more explosive the resault in case of failure say they manage to cram 40000 mah on the size of 4000 mah batterie how comfortable you will be carring in your pocket a bettery that is almost equivilent to tnt when it fails?

8. alxtorrentazos

alxtorrentazos Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 2060 OC
    Sony Z3 user here!..could someone enlighten me and give me a good reason to switch my phone for this new S9+ or the iPhone X, please?
    I could take excellent pictures with my phone, use WhatsApp, Tinder, order food online, check my bank account, use it for Uber, Kodi, stream games from my PS4, check the exact time that I should be taking the bus to go to work, use Maps to verify its route, record a conversation if necessary, buy things in Amazon, have a certain degree of protection using AV and firewalls, listen some music on the radio, play mp3 files while i´m running, open PDFs, Dox, Xls, txt files, control my PCs remotely, watch some videos and check the weather´s forecast. Battery life is good enough for almost 2 days before I have to charge it again and this phone is also water resistant.........so...........what is so revolutionary about this U$S1000 2017/2018´s phones?

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Coming from a Sony Xperia Z2 user who has upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S8+:

1) Bigger display, lower reflectivity, higher resolution, better contrast and color rendition (LCD --> AMOLED)
    2) Same or smaller form factor due to much higher screen-to-body ratio, despite larger display - more comfortable, the Z2 / Z3 design is a dated, unwieldy slab
    3) Storage - 16GB choked on the Z2, 32GB would be mostly fine
    4) Quite faster
    5) Better battery life
    6) Much better, much faster camera
    7) OS upgrades - you're stuck at Android 6.0 Marshmallow without a ROM
    8) Less heat - no more overheating from recording at 4K

This applies to almost every modern phone. You pretty much get an upgrade in everything.

10. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I'm not impressed with any Samsung phone as of recently, but I've been spoiled by the almost perfect Mate 9.

Now with Oreo beta, this is the best phone i ever used, i don't even have the geek need to upgrade to mate 10 pro.

Wonder when samsung gonna put 4000mah on their flagship, heck even HTC doing that with the U11+.

11. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I'm still using my Sony Z3 myself, i can see no clear reason to upgrade unless the battery or something else completely fails. maybe if you wanted to play mobile games on your phone i could start to see a reason to upgrade, but personally if you just use it for similar stuff to me like maps/spotify/news reading etc then there is little to no reason to upgrade, unless you got piles of cash and don't care about it haha... it's just such small and minor differences these days. being able to turn my phone on a couple of seconds faster or switch apps a second faster do not appeal to me at all.

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I'm still on S5 Neo, in fact just ordered a new battery yesterday to it. I had a moto 5g plus which felt faster and mode modern and exclusive but realized I really have no need for it.

I hate the fact that most new phones do not have headphone jacks and repleacable batteries. I don't play with my phone so it doesn't have to be hyperfast or anything.

The only thing I don't like about the S5 Neo is that it could have a bit more RAM and a camera that is better when it is dark, but it'll do for another year at least.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You are not alone mate , i feel the exact same way as you. I still have my Galaxy S6 and it will be getting an Oreo android OS update soon , so i do not feel the need for a new phone as this one does everything i need and more :)