Samsung Magician - Do I need it?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by 321Boom, Jan 4, 2018.

1. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Hello gurus,
    I have a Samsung 850 EVO SSD, with just the OS installed on it, and games I'm currently playing. I have been using it for a year now with no problems, and never installed Samsung Magician. Should I do this, or it's not really required?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Edit: Reason I am asking is because everything is working fine without it, but I came across this thread 'SamSung 960 Evo Firmware Update 3B7QCXE7 and 2.3 NVME Drivers' (https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/s...-update-3b7qcxe7-and-2-3-nvme-drivers.417859/) and am wondering if I'm making a mistake by not having it installed, especially due to any firmware updates.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  2. zipper

zipper Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    It's mostly eye candy on speed tests.

3. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    No differences to real world performance? I'd prefer having less 'bloatware' installed if it's not going to be doing anything beneficial.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    All it does is provide a single interface for encrypting the drive, manually trimming it, updating the firmware, enabling rapid mode, and letting it be known a new Magician version has been released. If the need or desire to update the firmware presents itself, then going to the site and downloading the file yourself is the answer.

5. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 580
    I installed it, because why not. It doesn't appear to be slowing my PC down in any way, and a notification about new firmware is a good to have.

6. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Thank you both for your replies. I guess I should install it then to get the latest firmware update since I have never updated the firmware. Should I take a back up of my data before installing new firmware in case something goes awry?

Can I set it to not auto-start with my pc, and just have a shortcut which I can check periodically myself in case of updates? I don't like having lots of extra processes running in the background.

7. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I had it installed when I first bought my Evo but after uninstalling it, I didn't notice any difference. But the website makes it out like it will have higher performance if you use it. I doubt it's possible to notice outside of benchmark numbers but would like to see some if anyone has benched some before/after.

8. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    I think it still makes sense to install it to update to the latest firmware though right? (had this SSD for a year and 3 months and never gave it an update)

9. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    Worth it for the latest firmware at least once after buying a disk, because it can be sitting on warehouse shelves and or not flashed in ages. However ... there's also the saying that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you dig around online you can find change-logs usually of what each firmware addresses similar to any other software (often on the company's forums). If there's some serious issue with the drive then I tend to update (such as if there's a writable pattern that can crush the disk, cripple the SSD's controller, or prematurely wear it out [eg, wear leveling bug] ). Yet at the same time, I don't update disk firmwares for performance improvements.

^ Then again you already know my motto from the other thread, good not to forget that the main purpose of any disk is to store data. Speed is just an extra. :D

I do, though in all the SSD's I've owned I've only had a drive break from a firmware update once. That was an old OCZ SSD, and so it's also not a very fair comparison to a Samsung disk. OCZ (pre buyout) was at the bottom of SSD reliability, whereas Samsung and Intel have generally been regarded as industry best.

10. Sergi

Sergi New Member

GPU:
    Asus ROG 1080 Ti
    I got a Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB and it was working fine with the old standard microsoft driver (year 2006).

One day of december I decided to update the driver to Samsung NVM Express Driver 2.3. Then, when playing some games it froze and the Event Viewer showed a Event 129 "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued." and the drive went 100% use but not working.

I did not relate it to the driver update so looked online and some web pages recommended to update from firmware 2B7QCXE7 to firmware 3B6QCXE7. I did so with Samsung Magician and now the SSD freezes on games with old Microsoft driver and also with Samsung driver, also tried and OFA community driver 1.5 that didn't resolve any issues.

I can't use the SSD now with games, I can copy files and that's it. It freezes when loading or playing games for a few minutes. Some webs say Samsung is working on a new firmware that should be ready during January 2018. Hope they can fix this.

TL;DR: Use old microsoft driver, and keep on firmware 2B7QCXE7. DON'T UPGRADE DRIVER OR FIRMWARE UNTIL SAMSUNG FIX THIS. It has issues. Don't use Samsung Magician either.

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 580
    I have 960 Pro 1TB, using driver 2.3 and latest (whatever it is) firmware, and have zero problems with it.

12. Chastity

Chastity Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Using 960 EVO 500GB on 3B6QCXE7 and 2.3 driver and works fine while gaming.

13. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro OC

Yes, lets take the advice of someone using MS driver on NVME drive, with 1 post, and completely unknown knowledge.

Octopuss likes this.
  14. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    Thanks for all the replies gurus, so I guess I should go about installing it then and updating the firmware (after taking a back up just in case something goes wrong).

One more thing before I install it, would I be able to set it to not auto-start when booting the pc? I'd prefer to just check for updates periodically myself rather than having an extra program constantly running in the background.

Glad to see your input in this thread too :) Yes while I would usually strongly agree with you that the main purpose for a disk is to store data/reliability, this is my SSD that ONLY has the OS and games I'm currently playing on it, so performance is more important than reliability in this case.

Thanks again for all the advice gurus :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  15. A2Razor

A2Razor Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 Fury X
    Yes, Magician can be removed from auto-start quite easily. Also it won't ever reflash your disk without consent.

16. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    That's awesome thanks. So, I don't enable Rapid mode or any of the other features right? Just the firmware update and that's it? I've read quite a few negative things about Rapid mode having higher chances of data corruption due to it using a form of RAMdisk to read and write (that's why it reports such high speeds in CrystalDiskMark).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  17. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    Rapid mode is for SATA only. Perhaps using it for M.2 pcie is an issue or it could be people using mismatching RAM or RAM that's not officially listed as supported by the mobo, making it occasionally unstable or something. But there are other software that also do RAM cache too and obviously RAM is way faster. Asus ROG 2 has a RAM cache app that works with M.2 NVME.

I would think that there would have to be something physically wrong to create such data corruptions between RAM and SSD. I used to have a mobo that had a bad NB chip, or maybe it was SB chip, I can't remember but I had a lot of odd, yet random corruption issues. It took me forever to figure out that it was hardware issue and not software. Everything would work fine for a few days, then suddenly some serious corruptions would occur.

18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 (8GB)
    If your firmware is up to date, no.

19. 321Boom

321Boom Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 Ti
    It could be some form of incompatibility as you're saying since there's quite a few reports of it. I'll stick to having Rapid off, besides in case of a crash or power outage, the chance of data loss and corruption is heightened due to that data being in the RAM cache instead of the SSD.

Wow that must have been nerve-wrecking till you figured it out, sorry to hear about your bad experience :/

Thanks, then just the firmware update and that's it.

20. Sergi

Sergi New Member

GPU:
    Asus ROG 1080 Ti
    Completely unkown knowledge you say???
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-samsung-960-firmware-update-causes-freezes.html
    https://us.community.samsung.com/t5...XP7-its-a-crap/m-p/217627/highlight/true#M873

I was only trying to help with my personal experience, I'm not an usual writer of this forums or others as you have guessed... but I followed the advice of some people around in other forums and had a bad experience... you can take my advice or not take it... it's up to you, of course... If you updated and is working for you, I'm glad it did... but will not always work for everyone...

This issue with the drivers or with the current firmware 3Bxxx of the 960EVO/PRO is acknowledged by samsung and is also working on it as it affects an important number of users...

Edit: add links

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018