1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung is going to fab 14nm CPUs for Intel, to address shortage

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SidGlide

SidGlide New Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1070
    Did you mean to say "in the third and fourth quarter of next year at the 14-nanometer process"?

3. Silva

Silva Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    So, finally it begins. Intel doesn't want to admit, but they will have to produce their chips at others foundries, specially if they want to keep competitive.

4. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Intel are fixing their own fabs to 10nm (shortlived) and 7nm. Meanwhile they're outsourcing to keep up with demand.

This is what AMD have always done - except with GloFo maybe, they managed to hit 12nm (which was closer to 16nm in reality), terrible fab.

5. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 2080 FE
    Samsung should have told them to get real and start making 7nm for them to get with the program.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Should Samsung fab line point out whatever hardware vulnerabilities they will encounter??

7. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Nvidia probably sits on that 7nm EUV node - Ampere.

Samsung 14nm node is much cheaper and close to 100% yield

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    What reality? Different fabs have always measured their processes differently, to suit whatever marketing or internal needs they've been interested in. I'm not going to deny it terribleness, though.

9. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    TSMC 16nm is more dense than GloFo 12nm

Intel 14nm is much better too

Always fun to see people laughing at Intel's 14nm node when GloFo 12nm is a much worse process overall

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    You say that as though anyone has been impressed by GloFo's 12nm. Nobody with enough sensibility denies that Intel's 14nm was very good, but people are mocking Intel because they haven't really been able to upgrade anything for years.

Aura89 likes this.

11. las

las Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti @ 2+ GHz
    Maybe, but without Intel's 10nm trouble, Ryzen would have underdelivered in far more aspects

So it was great for consumers actually.

My Ryzen 1700 is doing well in my server, underclocked and undervolted.

12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Intels stumble with 10nm has been a godsend to AMD and consumers. AMD is trying to be competitive in CPU's for the first time in almost two decades and Intel stumped there toe on 10nm the timing could not have been better. As consumers all we could ask for is Intel takes a bit longer into 2021 to get 10nm high performance chips going so AMD can get a decent foothold and be close to moving to TSMC's 5nm node which should keep AMD competitive another generation.

Embra likes this.
  13. Embra

Embra Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    ^^ I would argue for 98% of computer users they are already competitive, but a agree with your point.

14. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 590 8GB XFire
    At one time, in the heyday Athlon 64 years, AMD owned its own fabs. Under poor CEOs post A64, the company forgot it needed to continue to offer high-demand cpus to keep those foundries busy--and so they sold them off to what is now GloFo, while at the same time retaining certain production rights @ Glofo if AMD chooses to exercise them. Considering Intel's serious fab problems, it turns out going fabless was the right move after all for AMD, even if it was forced by raw economics. I also read a blurb somewhere the other day about AMD going with Samsung for 7nm EUV.

15. Venix

Venix Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    While glofo is the worst of the top 4 Samsung/intel/tsmc they are still the 4th most advanced fab in the world i would not call this terrible really

schmidtbag likes this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I agree. I think we take for granted how advanced this technology is.

Venix likes this.
  17. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    Samsung might have told them so, and I woud trust an Intel/Samsung CPU at 7nm for sure, but who knows what Intel has in mind. They don't want to lose refreshes upon refreshes on 14nm ( they keep talking for 14nm demand and I believe them ) even on 10nm since Moore's law comes to an end. The most certain thing for me is, Intel won't start watching AMD taking the lead for long. When Intel eventually hit the 7nm, the party is over for AMD.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Wait, didn't Intel say they were bringing up additional 14nm capacity? Did they miscalculate again?

Not really. By the time they have their 7nm process ready, TSMC will probably have a 5nm process ready for AMD. Intel has fallen behind in fab technology and there's very little that can stop TSMC at this point.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    @RavenMaster : When I did read headline, It thought that intel was about to steal AMD's production capacity.
    Every wafer intel fabs where AMD could otherwise make their chips is wafer not available for AMD. That would be double win for intel. They'll get sale and AMD suffers from having nothing to sell... no return of investment.

But as long as intel cares about older nodes... something that AMD does not need. It is OK.

(Zen2 I/O controller seems to be GloFo's 12nm LP.)

20. waltc3

waltc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 590 8GB XFire
    Reading today that this rumor has been debunked: Samsung apparently will not be fabbing any cpus for Intel. AH, the rumor mill...;)