Samsung has surplus OLED screens due to disappointing iPhone X sales

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. FuriousAngel

FuriousAngel Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4700 OC
    Funny, when you come to think of it. Looks like Nikkei was the only one who didn't see Apple's latest quarterly results then. They completely ignored the mind blowing iPhone X sales (specially for *that* price), they ignored the fact that Apple, as the only company worldwide, would resist the global trend of less mobile phones sold.

Guess now we know what source to ignore from now on ;)

3. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    ???What???

The news simply states Samsung has a lot of OLED screens on stock due to lower iphone X UNITS were sold than expected.

This is objective data, there is no fanboyism in this.

I get you don't like that your fav brand sold less units than before even it makes more money due to higher price but that doesn't make the news "fake" or the source "biased".

Dragam1337, slimmy427 and Kaleid like this.
  4. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Try lowering the damn prices.

airbud7 likes this.

5. 4KShmoork

4KShmoork Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Extreme
    Is this how the OLED GPU backplate trend begins?

6. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I wonder how much memory has gone to waste on these same unsold phones?

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's interesting...how high does the cost of living need to be globally before people stop buying a new smartphone every year? 75%? 95%? 150%?

Some might think reading your social media updates were addictive...

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Not everyone, for that matter i'd say most people do not get a new cellphone every year. Only the people obsessed with having the latest and greatest phones do.

Most people wait 2-6 years before upgrading.

Having worked for a company that sold phones, i can tell you likely 95% of people i dealt with had 2+ year old phones, or a cheap $50 "smart phone" that was 2 years or newer, and very rarely did we deal with people who had last years flagship of any brand. Ironically enough, most of the time we did deal with new phones as a trade it, it was current flagship to different company current flagship because they didn't like the brand new $600-1000 phone they had gotten

9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    What are you talking about? Apple's latest quarterly results showed less iPhones were sold than the year before (77 million vs 78 million). They posted record profits because of higher ASPs, not because they sold more phones.

slimmy427 likes this.
  10. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    My phone was 200$ and did come with: Amoled, good enough perf. and like 1 week of battery IDLE and 6 hours of hard fun... why Apple - the worlds most expensive company can`t beat that ? why are they IDLE at any lower shelf ?
    Samsung is going for Galaxy S9 while selling many other good models - its just the matter of time when they outperform any Apple phone or their products for that matter.

11. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Shouldn't be that much wasted directly, as the unsold phones presumably never have been manufactured. That's why Samsung has a surplus of OLED screens.
    But the factories making memory for un-manufactured phones could also have been used for making GPU memory... So yeah, it's still a waste ;)

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    As long as carriers continue to subsidize high end cell phones within their contracts people will continue to "buy" them every 2 or 3 years.

But if carriers stop this kind of deals, then high end phone sales are going to tank overnight...

airbud7 likes this.
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    people buy up Apple phones like there candy,ever been to AT&T/
    SPRINT/ETC mobile stores, they empty compared to every Apple Store I ever seen no matter the day or time those Apple stores are packed, my dad used the excuse I needed a "phone" to go buy the iPhoneX and 2nd iWatch.... the iPhone X ironically was replaced 3 times and 2 month. Apple is still going to bank with iPhone even if they replacing things alot., I be surpised if it cost them 1/3 the price they charging for one phone to make 1 phone.

Maybe Samsung was expect the iPhone X to sell even more then actual did consider it price.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Which companies in the US are still subsidizing phones?

15. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Looks like they are starting to reach the peak of how much they can charge per phone. People are just not willing to pay the high prices for the top phones anymore.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Honestly, from my experience, mostly, companies were never "subsidizing", they were:

Before: Sign up for a 2 year contract that'll add a certain amount per phone extra to your 2 year contract and after the contract is up it'll decrease to the "no-contract" prices. (People mostly didn't realize they were paying for the phone, or even realize the "contract" monthly charge was more expensive then the no-contract plans, because mostly that was never advertised, what was advertised and told to them was that their monthly bill would be (insert number here) and you get this "free" phone since the additional contract charge was not "technically" a payment on the phone, and then you can upgrade, again, for "free", in 2 years, and your phone bill never changes, since you're always on a 2 year contract)

Now: No contract, no money up front for your phone(sometimes not, sometimes a certain amount up front), pay off your phone with a flat monthly bill, and in 2 years you'll have paid off the phone and you phone bill will decrease. (People, again, mostly don't even pay attention to the fact they are paying off the phone, they only care that they got the brand new flag-ship phone and to them are not putting out a chunk of change to get it, all they see is "free phone, here's your high monthly bill")

17. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    These OLEDs would make for a great VR headset. Imagine the FOV with one of these per eye! Come on Samsung...make some competition for the HTC

18. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    So simply put, a bunch of lower end phones will have OLED now that apple has left surplus screens on the table, further eroding any value the X had to begin with.

Seems like a bad move on apple's part.

19. Pinscher

Pinscher Guest

GPU:
    1080 ti Duke
    You make good points, though every consumer learns at their own rate and using general statements is never accurate to the point.

In Canada you only get about $5 off a plan if you bring your own phone, though getting a premium phone locks you into an $65+ plan (for data too) for 2 years. Often you need to pay $100-200 down for the phone too. so it's like $1760 for the term. You get 2 years of service and a premium phone. So if your 1k in on the phone then it's $760 bucks for 48 months of services or $32 bucks. $32 bucks is much lower than $65, that's what I would call a subsidy...

In the end, its a lot of money compared to Europe where plans are like 15 euros for unlimited everything.

Personally I'll never buy a premium phone again. I'd rather have a nice laptop then a premium phone that's beat out by next years mid tier bracket. I have a guy who will sell me brand new last year phones and give me a $400 billing credit. Honestly, resellers is where it's at in Canada.

airbud7 likes this.
  20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    When I got my first cellphone, it was through Alltel (who was purchased by Verizon Wireless). At the time, when setting up new service, you got a "free" phone with a 2 year contract. That contract included X number of minutes (at the time, they ranged from 60 minutes a month to around 6000 minutes a month in my area). After 2 years, you could either extend the contract (and get a new phone if you wanted) or you could let the contract expire and pay per minute for every phone call + monthly service fee. Those were the only options. The cost of the phones was actually built into the cost of the service plan. BUT, whether you choose to get a new phone every 2 years or not, you still paid the same amount. Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile used this same model until around 2013 when T-Mobile started "financing" phones. In recent years, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint have joined T-Mobile. Funny part is, cost of service hasn't actually gone down.