1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Galaxy S9 will record 1080p video at 480 fps

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Now you can perform your own input lag tests instead of asking others to do it for you :D

3. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I can just imagine all the crazy slo-mo videos people will be uploading when this becomes a common thing. When this feature makes it to budget phones it might finally convert everyone to high frame rate films and TV shows.

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Yeah, just need 480hz panels and we gucci.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    Do any of these high framerate phones actually play anything back at that framerate though?

My S7 Edge does 240fps, but (I think) the only choice is to play the video back at slow motion 30fps. It could be 24fps as that would also work with 240fps.

I don't think features like this will make a difference in converting people to high framerate videos, phones have been capturing 1080/60 video for years now.

6. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SSC
    I have S8+ and you choose what parts are slowed to 30 fps to get the slow motion effect. Also if you save to share and such then it would convert whole video down to 30 fps to save space. Just copy over video without editing it to pc to watch the high frame rate.

7. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Exactly, its just for smooth slow playback. Panels are just not there yet and won't be any soon. However, for media consumption (videos, movies, etc...) I don't mind 60hz panel with 60fps playback.

8. Darkiee

Darkiee Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I would have some real use and just for fun to make/watch slow clips. I might swap my S6 this year, or not, time tells. And i prefer this FHD over sonys HD at 960fps

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970 STRIX
    Yeah, 720p is a little low these days. 960fps does allow you to really slow it down though.

I'm due a new phone soon as my S7 Edge has seen better days, S8 feels underwhelming and so far nothing suggest the 9 is going to be a huge jump over the 8.

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    Some day, you can watch your old cat videos in perfect fluidity. Or you can watch it slow-mo now.

Progress, I guess.