Samsung Electronics Unveils Odyssey OLED G8 Gaming Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    tunejunky likes this.
  2. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    So this the counterpart of the Alienware AW3423DW which is using the same panel.
    Hope that Samsung is smarter than Dell and let the possibility to the customer to update the firmware.
    Otherwise, this a great screen... the contrast is fantastic and the colors are well calibrated in predefine sRGB mode. For gaming, it is very nice also...
    Only the diamond RGB LED schematic can require some time to get use to it. With some Truetype tools, you can adjust the font's contrast to make it easier to read.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    what a joke.
    after almost 10y of bashing oleds, Samsung has "better" screens for less money than the competition, that are working on that tech for more than a decade, right.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  4. Monolyth

Monolyth Meow Mix Kills

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3090Ti
    I understand why Samsung would choose to stick with this ultra wide 34". They already selling the panel to Dell.

But it remains a personal wish that someone would bring a 32-36" UHD OLED monitor with 120Hz+, decent HDR, DP & 2xHDMI 2.1 into the consumer market.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The OP's picture 4/5 already shows why ultra wide for me would sometimes be disappointing... because interfaces and games are not always up to make use of them.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If this screen doesn't have the text problem that AW3423DW has, then it's a buy.

7. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 7900 XTX
    Its exactly same screen, just no g-sync module.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

this has beyond decent HDR.
    HDR 400 True Black is not the same thing as HDR 400. HDR 400 True Black is better than HDR 600 and just as good as HDR 1000.

brightness is never an issue with HDR, BLACK is and will always be the issue on all monitors
    quite simply a conventional IPS, VA, or TN screen cannot do Black as the backlighting is always creating noise(non audible - in reference to signal) and cannot go to black, just a shade of dark grey. this is immediately obvious by comparison to a CRT, OLED, or mini-led screen.

some companies are marketing work-arounds at the same price as the real thing. the best work around is a (w-led) FALD with over 600 zones, and even better if those zones are lit by mini leds - or in this case a WOLED fused to an IPS screen.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i've been waiting on this as one of the monitors i want to buy.
    but the yield on these is so low and the price is so high the ROG 43" (True) OLED (@ 4k) makes it a better buy with better color and better dynamic range at the same price range. i just wish LG would sell 34" OLED panels as i love the form factor and i wouldn't have to wall mount it

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Oh, right. It's the pixel matrix of the screen itself. Darn.

11. Zoomis

Zoomis Guest

GPU:
    3080 TI
    I own the Alienware 34" oled and it's an amazing monitor for sure.
    I haven't had any problems with the text either, Destiny 2, WOW, all my games look amazing on it.
    The only thing i'm having to get used to is YouTube, using an addon to make the videos fill the screen.
    Other than that i'm very glad i bought this monitor and i am a very picky person as to monitors go.
    I was going to buy the new Neo G7 from samsung, after all the research i did i'm glad i bought the Alienware instead to be honest.

tunejunky likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    of coarse it curved, and ultra wide.

Only thing consistent is the super over priced asked for these prices you can 42-49" LG C2 why monitor prices so jacked up

tunejunky likes this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this problem doesn't exist w/LG "evo" screens like the C2 or the ROG

14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Nah, it's only now that LG is starting to make smaller screens which could be used as monitors.
    Obviously Samsung made for cellphones and sold to others, but it's only now that these sizes start to become not too expensive to manufacture
    __
    For me not interesting until the pixel structure is more suitable for text and the resolution is higher.

15. oscarlook333

oscarlook333 Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4
    The best monitor I’ve owned has a beautifully curved screen, a high-quality panel, a large viewing area, and even a USB hub! You could argue that this display is worth every penny of its $1500 price tag.

You’re not limited to gaming on this display. The curved screen is also a fantastic movie theatre experience – the entire image fills the width of your vision, so you’ll feel like you’re in the middle of the movie theatre.

Watching movies with this display has never been so immersive. Plus, the screen offers a brilliant brightness level, giving you the ability to watch movies under dark conditions.
    For all these facilities. I thought SAMSUNG 49-inch1000R Curved Odyssey G9 Gaming is a best gaming monitor

16. Calenhad

Calenhad Active Member

GPU:
    MSi 3080ti Suprim X
    I was hoping this would release without the expensive gsync module in the Alienware. I guess that wish was granted. But I really don't need any smart tv junk in my pc monitor. So, now I am waiting to see how MSi is going to screw up the same display panel in their version.

Also the firmware in my 2x Samsung G7 still have issues after numerous updates. Oh and let us not forget the nice feature (yeah, not a bug) that disconnect the monitor from the GPU when it is in sleep mode. Meaning you constantly have to reapply multimonitor settings if you let the monitors go to sleep. So I am not really feeling like buying another Samsung monitor yet.

tunejunky and fry178 like this.
  17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Kaleid
    not talking about that.
    for the past 10y Samsung bashed all retail brands selling oleds, as the tech being not good for consumers (brightness/bright room/burn in), incl putting stickers on their demo displays stating their QLED dont have burn in issues like OLED, trying to make it appear they are close in pic quality.

tunejunky likes this.
  18. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    Getting closer, now make a decent monitor with the following specs, 32" - 4K -144hz - OLED - FLAT PANEL.

Icanium and HitokiriX like this.